4x4 issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mcase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys

I have a 2017 1500 outdoorsman and while hunting today I drove up in 4 high, no issues. Spun around and decided to drive further up to hike a new area. The front end started to feel strange, with a bit of a rumble-almost like friction? Anyhow, I decided to turn around and while I was doing that I had loud banging I believe from the front driver side. Went back into 2 wheel and had zero issues.

Once home I went for a drive and put it into 4 again in a gravel lot, immediately felt strange and when I went to move/do a bit of a turn BANG again. Couldn’t tell where it came from, upfront somewhere. Again back to 2 wheel and all good. Any ideas? I had a shop replace the front hubs/bearings just the other day. Could it be related?

Thanks!

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
*Could it be related? Sure. Get the front end off the ground (properly supported) and see what's binding up.

OP
OP
M

Mcase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am far from mechanically inclined but I have cranked the wheels back and forth fully in 2 wheel and 4 wheel, zero issue. It seems to only happen while rolling. Perhaps I’ll jack it up and try looking better..

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have a 2017 1500 outdoorsman and while hunting today I drove up in 4 high, no issues.
This truck should have the BW44-45 Part-Time transfer case (no "Auto 4X4" button). 4WD with this transfer case should not be used on pavement or high traction surfaces. The transfer case doesn't allow differentiation front to rear so driveline binding can happen if the wheels can't slip while turning.

If you had the front hubs replaced, it would have been a good time to replace the half-shafts while the front end was apart. Check the CV joints on both ends of the half shafts for any slop.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you had the front hubs replaced, it would have been a good time to replace the half-shafts while the front end was apart. Check the CV joints on both ends of the half shafts for any slop.

I'm not as familiar with the independent front that you have but the CVs were my first suspicion as well. I'm sure there are many youtube videos on how to check them.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That's not supposed to be separated like that, something the shop that worked on it screwed up or missed.

OP
OP
M

Mcase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's not supposed to be separated like that, something the shop that worked on it screwed up or missed.
Would they have had to mess with that when doing the hubs? Also is it safe to drive to the shop tomorrow as is? I’m spooked about that fully coming apart.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The half-shaft is basically held in place by the front hub, what you can see is the stub shaft that goes into the differential. You'll want them to inspect/replace the differential shaft seals when they fix that. Try push it back together and drive carefully unless your moto is "if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all".

OP
OP
M

Mcase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The half-shaft is basically held in place by the front hub, what you can see is the stub shaft that goes into the differential. You'll want them to inspect/replace the differential shaft seals when they fix that. Try push it back together and drive carefully unless your moto is "if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all".
I really appreciate your advice. I’ll see if I can get it back together at all. Really hoping the dealer that did the work doesn’t try fighting me.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That looks like it's been apart for quite some time ...judging by the rust on the sealing surface of the inner CV. Normally that would be clean as new from being in contact with oil. Hard to say what caused it. Could have just slid out on it's own. Those stub shafts DO wear on these Rams. Could have been a weak snap ring, or poorly machined inner groove inside the CV. It's pointless to point the finger at the dealer or installer nobody can prove anything. You'll just be working yourself into a lather for no reason.

It also means there's a good chance your stub shaft is worn or rounded-off on the end. If you're lucky it isn't too bad, and the CV end can be cleaned with some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper for a nice finish, and reinserted into the "cleaned & lubricated) seal. Make sure to clean all that stuff out well. Probably should drain & refill the front diff fluid. Run it a bit and drain/refill it again in about a month.

But, the stub output shaft *might* be worn and may need to be replaced. These stub shaft DO wear on these Rams and there are a number of posts on the topic. The "Bang!" you heard could have been splines breaking too. The dealer might say the replacement part is no long available (from Mopar), and you have to buy a whole new front diff (others have heard that). But below you can see there is a part, via the aftermarket.

Your options might be to buy a used replacement front differential from a salvage yard, or buy the shaft & take it to a driveline place which rebuilds differentials. I might be cheaper to buy a used front diff if your truck has quite a few miles. But make sure the replacement front diff, the output shafts are not worn (CV's fit 'tight'). If you have your unit rebuilt with new parts, consider doing the other side too. Dedicated driveline shops are usually the 'best' outfit to do a job like this as they rebuild differentials day in and day out. Dealers don't.

But before going down the road of diff replacement & new shafts, clean the rust off the CV portion and all the other areas down there with some carb cleaner and re-insert it the CV. Maybe everything will be fine once its put back together.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, the dealer tech 'might' have pulled it out in the process of doing the front hubs. Normally ya have to push the CV *in* pretty hard for the CV shaft (at the wheel bearing) to clear the bearing/knuckle. But anything can happen I guess, in the process.

Don't push it back in w/o cleaning off the shaft with 400 or 600 grit sandpaper in a (hopefully) radial fashion. And hose the seal and inner area with carb cleaner. Lube the seal and the CV before you push it in.

Once its pushed back in. Raise the lower control arm with a floor jack and push up/down to see if the CV is loose, or tight. Ideally it should be pretty snug, but a little play on a higher mile truck is normal. A lot of play (slop) is not acceptable and can lead to road vibration.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mcase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I should also add this particular shop replaced that CV for me about two months ago. I’m wondering if it’s been loose this entire time, although they would have noticed when they did the hubs I’d think

OP
OP
M

Mcase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, the dealer tech 'might' have pulled it out in the process of doing the front hubs. Normally ya have to push the CV *in* pretty hard for the CV shaft (at the wheel bearing) to clear the bearing/knuckle. But anything can happen I guess, in the process.

Don't push it back in w/o cleaning off the shaft with 400 or 600 grit sandpaper in a (hopefully) radial fashion. And hose the seal and inner area with carb cleaner. Lube the seal and the CV before you push it in.

Once its pushed back in. Raise the lower control arm with a floor jack and push up/down to see if the CV is loose, or tight. Ideally it should be pretty snug, but a little play on a higher mile truck is normal. A lot of play (slop) is not acceptable and can lead to road vibration.
Thank you! I haven’t done anything yet.

OP
OP
M

Mcase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks like it's been apart for quite some time ...judging by the rust on the sealing surface of the inner CV. Normally that would be clean as new from being in contact with oil. Hard to say what caused it. Could have just slid out on it's own. Those stub shafts DO wear on these Rams. Could have been a weak snap ring, or poorly machined inner groove inside the CV. It's pointless to point the finger at the dealer or installer nobody can prove anything. You'll just be working yourself into a lather for no reason.

It also means there's a good chance your stub shaft is worn or rounded-off on the end. If you're lucky it isn't too bad, and the CV end can be cleaned with some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper for a nice finish, and reinserted into the "cleaned & lubricated) seal. Make sure to clean all that stuff out well. Probably should drain & refill the front diff fluid. Run it a bit and drain/refill it again in about a month.

But, the stub output shaft *might* be worn and may need to be replaced. These stub shaft DO wear on these Rams and there are a number of posts on the topic. The "Bang!" you heard could have been splines breaking too. The dealer might say the replacement part is no long available (from Mopar), and you have to buy a whole new front diff (others have heard that). But below you can see there is a part, via the aftermarket.

Your options might be to buy a used replacement front differential from a salvage yard, or buy the shaft & take it to a driveline place which rebuilds differentials. I might be cheaper to buy a used front diff if your truck has quite a few miles. But make sure the replacement front diff, the output shafts are not worn (CV's fit 'tight'). If you have your unit rebuilt with new parts, consider doing the other side too. Dedicated driveline shops are usually the 'best' outfit to do a job like this as they rebuild differentials day in and day out. Dealers don't.

Thank you for this information!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could be it:

A) Wasn't fully 'Snapped' into place. Or worse, not pushed back on.
B) The replacement CV inner 'ring' isn't machined quite right (and it wouldn't stay in)
C) The stub shaft is worn and it kicked-out the CV ...and the stub shaft needs to be replaced. Like I said before it's not uncommon on these Rams. Esp if the truck has been "leveled".

Most likely A.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, if they replaced the CV, then I would bring that to the dealer's attention. Obviously it's been 'apart' for quite some time. Something's amiss. It could be the CV doesn't push on enough for the clip to snap into place.

I can't believe you didn't feel a vibration going down the road.

OP
OP
M

Mcase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be it:

A) Wasn't fully 'Snapped' into place.
B) The replacement CV inner 'ring' isn't machined quite right (and it wouldn't stay in)
C) The stub shaft is worn and it kicked-out the CV ...and the stub shaft needs to be replaced. Like I said before it's not uncommon on these Rams. Esp if the truck has been "leveled".
Ok, if they replaced the CV, then I would bring that to the dealer's attention. Obviously it's been 'apart' for quite some time. Something's amiss. It could be the CV doesn't push on enough for the clip to snap into place.

I can't believe you didn't feel a vibration going down the road.
That’s what is shocking to me as well, i haven't felt a thing, and I just recently got back from a fairly large trip.

OP
OP
M

Mcase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So they are saying front diff is toast and “engaging 4x4 is what pushed the CV apart”apparently. Leaving a bad taste in my mouth here.