How Many Miles on you 6.4 Hemi??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Well just a little over 13 mo. ago, my 2015 diesel's injector pump went out at 167,000 miles and it took the dealer about 4 weeks to get it going again. Long Story ($12,000 bill).

In any case, I needed a truck so I could keep working. When at the dealer looking at diesel truck, he ask, did you ever look at one of the 6.4s.
I said I tow with the truck, after showing me the tow rating, and that being more than my trailer could hold, I gave it some thought.

But what closed the deal was the Life Time Unlimited Mile Warranty.

Here is what I got:
1. Better fuel mileage
2. Lower Fuel Costs
3. More Horse Power - half the torque But near the same performance
4. Much better price on the truck
5. Repairs will only cost me $100.00

What a deal!

$12k for a injection pump replacement? Your gasser gets better fuel mileage than your old diesel? What was your previous truck? If it were a Powerstroke then this would make sense, but not a Cummins. If they did charge you $12k for replacing a CP3 on a Cummins then they saw you comming a mile away because that is less than a $1k repair since they normally do not grenade and generally last well over 300k miles. The CP4 on the Powerstroke and Duramax on the other hand grenades when they fail taking the rest of the fuel system with it, and they do not last that long because they are extremely sensitive to fuel contamination.

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I’m almost entirely gas now with my company fleet. I used to have Dodge Rams with the Cummins diesel motor, GM pickups with the Duramax, Ford with the horrendous 6 L power stroke, and Isuzu box trucks with their diesel motor. I’ve been in business for 25 years and I have now almost entirely switched to gas motors. I’m tired of those expensive emission repairs, injection pumps, injectors, def pumps, and a flurry of other extremely expensive repairs. I now have a 6.0 liter GM gas motor in one of my Isuzu box trucks, a 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 L hemi, and a 3500 transit with the gas 3.5 eco- boost motor. I still have three more diesels in my fleet. They will probably be the last. The hemi has been phenomenal at pulling trailers (which has around 23,000 miles on it), the eco-boost has been great as well, and the 6 L Chevy motor in the Isuzu box truck has been amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great info, thanks. I've heard this before from fleet managers I've spoken to. Gm, ford and dodge no longer produce a diesel powered van cut away chassis. Gm still does produce a G series van, but gas only, so for ambulances with modules on the back, they have been forced to switch over to the gas powered G.

I've been told that since the change from ford diesel powered E series to the gas G has slowly occurred over the past few years, they have noted the overall cost per mile is actually considerably LESS with the GM G series van. I'm not a huge Chevy man, but i thought that was impressive. He told me the gas G cost per mile was less than the diesel powered Gs they have left also.

This is a fleet of i believe 80 units so it's a pretty good sample. I still like diesels, but i don't need one for what I'm towing and I'm glad i don't in this day and age. Diesels are too complex now with too much bs on them, back in the day when they were much simpler and diesel was much less than regular unleaded, i felt differently. Just my .02.

SMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow! I think that is better than what my brother in law is doing. He kind of picks & choses his loads & doesn't run all that hard.
I drove tractor trailer for a couple of years so I have my CDL so no worries there.
I was thinking if I pulled the trigger I could run with my current truck until I got going good & then get a dually with the Cummins but it sounds like you are really making it work with the 2500 6.4. :naughty:
I see you have a topper... do you sleep in there or in the back seat? I think by brother in law took the back seat out & has a mattress back there.

I sleep in the topper. I have a furnace, microwave, computer and printer in the topper. One thing I have learned, it is not only how much you make per-mile but how much you make per day. If you spend most of the day picking up your load and a good part of another day delivering your load, your not making money while loading and delivering.

SMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT
Engine
6.4 Hemi
$12k for a injection pump replacement? Your gasser gets better fuel mileage than your old diesel? What was your previous truck? If it were a Powerstroke then this would make sense, but not a Cummins. If they did charge you $12k for replacing a CP3 on a Cummins then they saw you comming a mile away because that is less than a $1k repair since they normally do not grenade and generally last well over 300k miles. The CP4 on the Powerstroke and Duramax on the other hand grenades when they fail taking the rest of the fuel system with it, and they do not last that long because they are extremely sensitive to fuel contamination.

Yes, a Powerstroke 6.7

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Yes, a Powerstroke 6.7

Then that makes a little more sense. My brother is trying to unload his 2012 Powerstroke before he goes through the same issue you had and go back to a Cummins. The CP4 and piezo injectors in the Powerstroke are just too sensitive to contamination. The CP3 with solenoid injectors in the Cummins may not put out as much pressure, but they are ten times more reliable and less sensitive. Not only that, but the CP3 does not tend to grenade like the CP4 does causing you to replace your whole fuel system. When the CP3 fails then it will usually just loose pressure and is not that expensive to replace. Then there was the glow plug issue that he had every winter which is why I am glad the Cummins has a much more reliable grid heater in the intake instead. Top it all off was the dismal 13 mpg he averages when my Cummins averaged around 16 mpg when it was stock on stock tread.

These two engines may be diesels, but they are worlds apart on how they are built and the philosophy behind their design. Ford just tries to be too new and innovative with their tech in the Powerstroke, but I would rather stick with the proven and reliable tech with the Cummins.

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
These two engines may be diesels, but they are worlds apart on how they are built and the philosophy behind their design. Ford just tries to be too new and innovative with their tech in the Powerstroke, but I would rather stick with the proven and reliable tech with the Cummins.

Could not agree more!

5 speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
I probably would have a bought a 6.4 if I could have found it. All I had to chose from was the 5.7L and I wanted a 2wd. This is my 4th 5.7. I had the original back in 03. bad ass with only 350HP then and now the 6.4l (same engine I imagine with different heads maybe). I had a broken exhaust bolt on one and that was about it. Love me a hemi!!!

PS get the occasional light coolant smell as well.... no biggie

skHemi64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
~45k on mine. 10k+ towing a 3 horse LQ trailer. New tires at 42k, Michelins now.

Problems:
Clutch Fan
Dimming overhead light
Recalls
All under warranty

Not doing little truck diesels anymore, too expensive to fix!

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just over 25k on my 2015.

No issues so far. The only 1 weird thing I've had happen twice. Twice in the year and half since I bought the truck, the blue tooth froze the Uconnect 5.0. The screen locked on the phone screen and went back to the station it was on before the call. I had to turn off the truck and let it sit for about 20 seconds then restart the truck to get the screen to unlock.

It only happened twice. That's the only issue I've had... so far

5 speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
Yes, I do on average 16K a month. I mostly do long hauls. Transporting more than 2 in most cases is hard to find more than 2 going in the same direction.

In addition, if you stay under 26,000 lbs. you don't need a CDL.

SMI are you saying you are pulling in $16K a month? If so, my 2500 and me are ready to take on some east coast work, how do I get started? If I need to by a trailer, am all for it. Just so happens one of the biggest auctions in Florida Manheim is located less than a mile from me.....

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
42k... no issues... regular oil change... jist did diff... tranny and transfer case fluids... probably didnt need it..all came out clean

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
SMI are you saying you are pulling in $16K a month? If so, my 2500 and me are ready to take on some east coast work, how do I get started? If I need to by a trailer, am all for it. Just so happens one of the biggest auctions in Florida Manheim is located less than a mile from me.....

16K miles a month

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Nearing 29,000. Need to get a couple factory recalls fixed. I just hate letting a dealer work on it..

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ it’s great when they mess up the software ones and you have to take it back again because warning lights are going off on the dash like a Christmas tree.. :Stupid Me:

dynocon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
7,000 no issues. 250 mile road trip, 80 percent Interstate running 70, probably 30 minutes of idle getting back in the truck to get warm since it was mostly in the 20's, hand calculated 15 mpg. I think this is pretty good for a truck that weights 7,600 lbs.

ICEMANFiZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
124,*** just had transmission rebuilt and bulletproofed. Found some shavings in fluid and had custom tranny shop rebuild it and upgraded converter among other mods and extra clutch disks like 68rfe. Shifts like a dream now. Haven’t been able to tow since rebuilding for true test.

ColeRay92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
SMI, would you share some of the things that have worn out or broken in your 183k+ miles so far? And, what all the Lifetime Maximum Care warranty has covered for you? I'm really considering spending the (almost) $5,000 for the lifetime maximum care so anything that breaks or blows (like an engine or tranny) is covered. Plus, from what I'm tracking, once the repair costs more than the NADA average price of the vehicle they'll cut a check. My thinking is that check will be about $5,000, making the warranty a great deal if I keep my truck out of accidents.