Real experiences towing 3.73 gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok i'm still having issues deciding if 3.73 will be the right choice. I've got a great deal on a 6.4 Hemi truck with 3.73 gears, but no 100% sure yet. And yes I can order one at $4K more but not at a great deal so thats not feasible.

I've read all i can find at RV.net, Ramforumz, trailer sites, etc about the 3.73 gears and most that have them and tow under 11K and love them. Some even tow at 13K and say its great. Then i read every other post about those with 4.10 gears saying avoid the 3.73's.

So has anyone done a back to back test pulling same load with each gear set? Or if anyone that has 3.73's towing 10-11K in the hills chime in I'd appreciate it. This is going to be a 7-8 year truck so don't want to be dissapointed. And this is primarily a daily driver with 10-12 towing trips per year under 8K lbs (subject to change in next couple years to 10K).

Thanks.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it will save you $4,000 you can switch gears and be money ahead.

Hemi Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4
Engine
There really isn't a huge difference between the 2 ratios. 4:10s will certainly pull a little better but it's not really going to be a night and day difference unless you really are towing at maximum weights.

Sent directly from my thoughts using tinfoil antennas and a stainless mixing bowl helmet.

OP
OP
RoadDog66

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There really isn't a huge difference between the 2 ratios. 4:10s will certainly pull a little better but it's not really going to be a night and day difference unless you really are towing at maximum weights.

Sent directly from my thoughts using tinfoil antennas and a stainless mixing bowl helmet.

Thank you sir may the force be with you and your helmet . I'm currently towing with a Titan and 3.36 gears and pulls like crazy so i was shocked to hear the 3.73's didn't. The payload on my Titan is only 1598lbs so this truck will be a vast improvement there.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it will be night and day compared to towing with ur Titan. Does a higher numerically gear tow better.. ALWAYS but the difference between 373 and 410 is not even really note able.. twilliams had 410"s he lifted and went to 37"s I believe and spent like 1500-2k and went to 456. save the money.. get the 373 and if u aren't happy then upgrade to 456. Coming from a Titan I think u are going to be utterly ******* thrilled with the 373"s behind the 6.4. I came from a half ton and the first time I put 2k pounds in the bed of this truck with the family of 4 and all of our stuff as well from our weekend trip I was tickled literally tickled at how well the truck did.. it ride and pulled amazing. Best of luck get the deal u want while u can.

OP
OP
RoadDog66

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ratket thanx bro. That's the feedback i need. I love my Titan (3rd one since Dec '03) and it pulls like a freaking freight train, just weak in the payload dept. I really can't pass on the deal I have in the works with the trade value they are offering to boot, so I'm just being overly cautious I guess. Yeah from my studies on the interweb the 1st to 2nd ratios are what the issue is not the gears themselves.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They don't make airbags for the Titan? That usually cures the payload problem quickly. Think you'll be happy with the 2500, feels much more stable than pulling with a 1/2 ton.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2014 Hemi 2500 SRW SB 4X4 3.73 gears towing an 8500# TT (and often a load of kids, firewood and other stuff at the same time).

Overall, I'm 99% happy with my choice. The truck handles the load with ease. Given the choice and for the same money I'd probably opt for the 4.10s but I can't imagine it's going to change your life. I'd have no problem getting a bigger trailer with this truck - up to and even a bit over 10K. If I were going much over that I'd likely go back to a diesel.

fwiw - moving from a 1/2 ton to 3/4 will be a night and day experience for you. The power is really just a small part of it. Larger brakes and stiffer suspension make for much better experience.

And to give some background I live in the NW where there are plenty of hills. I've hauled said TT up over some 5000 ft. mountain passes with ease. 2nd gear is right in the meat of the power at about 60MPH. Granted, you'll hear her scream (Again, I'm coming from a diesel so this did take a bit to get use to) but the power is there and it's a great engine.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't pass up that deal. The gears aren't worth it. It cost me $1500 for the switch to 4.56 but the shop took my 4.10's as a trade also. 3.73-4.10 for stock truck is negligible.

OP
OP
RoadDog66

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks guys. I'm feeling more optimistic now.

I have a Roadmaster Active suspension spring setup on my Titan, but with nearly 900 lbs of tongue weight even that sags. And the Titan screams pretty good going up the hills/mountains of PA & WV where we mostly camp, but i luv the sound it makes at 4500-5000 RPM while passing other 1/2 tons with ease ☺. I should enjoy the sound of the Hemi even more.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They don't make airbags for the Titan? That usually cures the payload problem quickly. Think you'll be happy with the 2500, feels much more stable than pulling with a 1/2 ton.
It doesn't cure anything, it just bandaids the problem.

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
I tow a 30' tt weighing around 8300 loaded before kids, dogs, wood and bikes. Went from a 5.3 Silverado 1/2 ton (not nearly enough truck) to the 6.4/3.73 combo and I'm very happy with results. Accelerates and hold speed very well and you'll really notice a difference in how well the 3/4 ton handled the trailer vs the 1/2. You'll be in control of the trailer, not the trailer in control of you.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks guys. I'm feeling more optimistic now.

I have a Roadmaster Active suspension spring setup on my Titan, but with nearly 900 lbs of tongue weight even that sags. And the Titan screams pretty good going up the hills/mountains of PA & WV where we mostly camp, but i luv the sound it makes at 4500-5000 RPM while passing other 1/2 tons with ease ☺. I should enjoy the sound of the Hemi even more.

Well, prepare to swap out the muffler or be disappointed. For whatever reason (probably MDS) they really muffle this motor, even more so than the 1500's. Trick is to find a setup that doesn't drone at 2000rpm. Lot's of opinions if you search.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It doesn't cure anything, it just bandaids the problem.

That's you're opinion, I would say otherwise. Had bags on my old 1500 and it certainly helped the rear feel more stable with heavy bed/tongue loads, which doesn't take much on a 1/2 ton. Obviously you need to use common sense when towing/hauling anything heavy.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's you're opinion, I would say otherwise. Had bags on my old 1500 and it certainly helped the rear feel more stable with heavy bed/tongue loads, which doesn't take much on a 1/2 ton. Obviously you need to use common sense when towing/hauling anything heavy.
No, it isn't an opinion, it is fact. Adding airbags does nothing to actually add payload capacity, it just helps reduce squat in the rear end.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this argument with a guy with a tundra.. :roflsquared:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No, it isn't an opinion, it is fact. Adding airbags does nothing to actually add payload capacity, it just helps reduce squat in the rear end.

True, and I never said it would add to the rated capacity. Only that it would help solve the problem. Sorry to have confused you.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
I've got a 37' fifth wheel I pull with my 2015 crew cab short box 6.4 hemi and 3.73 gears.

Fully loaded and ready to camp the trailer weighs in a touch over 11,000 pounds. Ratings say that this truck is rated for 12,000 overall towing... Having said that, i wouldn't hesitate for a second to drag this trailer anywhere we want to go. We live in nebraska so it is fairly flat in the nearest of areas, but we do have plenty of rolling hills... On the hills the truck liked to be in 4th for most of it, shifting down into third on occasion to maintain 60 mph. Overall I am impressed with it. I would be curious to see how 4.56 gears would pull though...

Hind sight being what it is, i wish i would have gotten 4.10s but at the same time i had a situation like you and hit the dealer at the right time and got a deal i wasn't going to walk away from...

Also, ram is the first and only to use the generalized formatting to providing towing and payload numbers, so i assume they are a touch lower than what they would have normally put on them...

Attachments

• IMG_0800.jpg
    IMG_0800.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 41

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the deal is that good, don't pass it up. Another way to look at it............IF you need 4.10's, it would be much cheaper to do yourself instead of financing $4k for whatever your term is.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've gone the airbag route with my old 1/2 ton and I agree with both points made. While it doesn't add payload it helps use what you have. With most half tons when you put the max load in the bed the ass end squats excessively.

So, I'd agree the airbags are a band aid for those wanting to tow excess weight but they do have some purpose as it makes it better at the max. I guess all the squat is the price we pay to have our trucks ride like a Cadillac.