Locating towing specs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read the sticker, but for some reason it links to Gen 4 and older. Anyone know a way to get towing specs on Ram 1500 trucks? I've learned Ram is very elusive on this for political reasons unfortunately. Two dealers have not been able to to tell me. Building you own truck on Ram website will not tell you, nor does the window sticker, or door jam GVWR sticker. They just say up to 12,750 key words (UP TOO). What I've learned so far is that the max towing will be a 2WD, Hemi, quad cab with the longer bed, 3.91 gears, but I would like to see a chart and break down. I'd like know what a crew cab, Hemi, 4WD, 3.23 gears can tow? I don't really want the 3.92 gears but will if I have too.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You can Google search the SAEJ2807 for any year Ram truck. That will give you the base numbers for all the available combinations of the truck(engine, gearing, transmission, body style, etc.)

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They're not elusive.... You just have to know how to read them.

Google search your year model Ram towing charts and it will pull up the Stellantis Tow charts. They don't offer 3.23 gears. Your options are 3.21 or 3.92.

Fair warning, this is a BASE number and most of what you find will be for a tradesman or possibly a Big Horn. The actual towing capacity is based on the trim level of your truck as well. For example, a Laramie or Limited will have significantly less payload or towing capacity than a tradesman because of the additional features. The door sticker is the final answer for that specific truck.

But, as an example:

2023 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tradesman with a 5'7" bed:
1709811497083.png

2023 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tradesman with a 6'4" bed:
1709811436378.png

Important to mention is that max trailer weights and payload capacities often contradict each other. You'll often run out of payload long before you reach max trailer ratings. If you have a flatbed trailer where you can shift some of the weight towards the rear to lighten the tongue weight you can get closer to max trailer ratings. If you're towing a travel trailer or a trailer with fixed weights that can't be moved you'll almost always max out payload first once you've added the weight of passengers, any add on accessories, and cargo.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As said, there is no elusive-thing going on. It's not political. It's like buying a lightbulb; manufacturers can't just say their bulbs can light up a parking lot, you need to first determine what you need a lightbulb for and then search the available bulbs to find the correct size and features you need. Spotlight or diffuse bulb, higher daylight brightness or softer warmth.

Trucks are bought for what you want them to do, there is no one truck perfect for every purpose. Want a softer ride to daily drive and maybe tow a small camper occasionally, a 1500 with higher gears might work. Want to tow a bigger camper with 4 people and their gear, probably need a 2500 or bigger but going to lose that car-like ride.

So you need to figure out what you want to do and and then find the truck to do it. Charts only help you find the series that could work but if you find your needs are moving towards the upper end of the specs you need to shift up to next series. The exact capabilities are clearly printed on every truck door jamb, they are unique to that truck and change as you add aftermarket accessories, bigger tires, suspension changes, generally all for the worst.

You are correct, basic truck with 2wd is going to snag best payload and towing capacity. Packages can adversely impact, like a Power Wagon package on a 2500 moves it more to a 1500 for towing purposes. Good luck

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing to note from the above chart is that gvwr and payload will be the same with either .321 and .392 axle choice. As mentioned above, you will likely run out of payload with your tongue weight long before you run out of manufacturers listed towing capacity (especially with a travel trailer). So depending on the type of trailer you're towing, the .392 axle may not get you much extra towing capacity over the .321, if any.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They're not elusive.... You just have to know how to read them.

Google search your year model Ram towing charts and it will pull up the Stellantis Tow charts. They don't offer 3.23 gears. Your options are 3.21 or 3.92.

Fair warning, this is a BASE number and most of what you find will be for a tradesman or possibly a Big Horn. The actual towing capacity is based on the trim level of your truck as well. For example, a Laramie or Limited will have significantly less payload or towing capacity than a tradesman because of the additional features. The door sticker is the final answer for that specific truck.

But, as an example:

2023 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tradesman with a 5'7" bed:
View attachment 539001

2023 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Tradesman with a 6'4" bed:
View attachment 539000

Important to mention is that max trailer weights and payload capacities often contradict each other. You'll often run out of payload long before you reach max trailer ratings. If you have a flatbed trailer where you can shift some of the weight towards the rear to lighten the tongue weight you can get closer to max trailer ratings. If you're towing a travel trailer or a trailer with fixed weights that can't be moved you'll almost always max out payload first once you've added the weight of passengers, any add on accessories, and cargo.
Here is another one:

Attachments

• 2023_Ram1500Classic(DS)_TowChart.pdf
    256.3 KB · Views: 16

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The carts help

Thanks, pretty easy to read once you find them. I still say all dealers should have this info not just Stellantis.

Not sure why dealer wouldn't. You use to be able to enter your VIN or Truck Configuration. It would give you Towing/Payload based on the options you picked.
They have since removed it. No clue if it's coming back.

3.21 is going have lower max towing vs 3.92 but that is based on SAEJ2807 standard . You could go with either gear.

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure why dealer wouldn't. You use to be able to enter your VIN or Truck Configuration. It would give you Towing/Payload based on the options you picked.
They have since removed it. No clue if it's coming back.

3.21 is going have lower max towing vs 3.92 but that is based on SAEJ2807 standard . You could go with either gear.
Right! That's what I'm trying to say. Most trucks come with 3.21 to meet Democrat ridiculous MPG standards, but they advertise a max towing 12k plus. I went to the largest lot in USA and they had one truck with 3.92

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Dealers DO have access to it but think of it this way. If they can make a sale today with what's sitting right in front of you, they're going to do it. If they showed you that this shiny new truck doesn't meet your needs you are liable to go somewhere that has one. Even if you don't leave and want to order one, that's one less sale for the rep to make towards their monthly quota. Easier to play ignorant and get you to sign on the line today.

A lot of sales people don't actually know their products. They focus on HOW to sell something as opposed to WHAT they are selling. I went through a 3 day training prior to becoming a sales rep once. At the end of the 3rd day all we had been taught was how to sell to you. We weren't taught the first thing about the vehicles. I decided that was not the life for me and I was out.

Good on you for researching yourself. The reason that I am well versed in campers is because none of the dealers are. Same with the vehicles I own. I make it a point to know everything I can about them so that I can avoid the sales tactics. I know what works and what doesn't. We always tell the sales reps... when we decide the one we want we will come sit at your desk. You are just going to push paper for us. We get zero sales pitches.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Right! That's what I'm trying to say. Most trucks come with 3.21 to meet Democrat ridiculous MPG standards, but they advertise a max towing 12k plus. I went to the largest lot in USA and they had one truck with 3.92

I can only guess , as I have no hard facts. the trucks with 3.92 were sold already. If you have two trucks exactly the same 3.92 and 3.21. difference of $200 or whatever it is, but says Max towing 11,240 and other 9,000
which one would you pick? SAEJ2807 isn't perfect but it is what we have right now. They don't test with tandem semi going 110 KM with side winds 60KM.

I'm sure MPG is factor as well. As Ram(Stellantis) is paying Tesla millions in credits.

I always order what I want, but if that isn't an option, you will have pick out whatever is closest to your likes and needs if you are planning on purchasing.

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have two trucks exactly the same 3.92 and 3.21. difference of $200 or whatever it is, but says Max towing 11,240 and other 9,000
which one would you pick?
I specifically looked for a truck with a 3.21 when I bought ours used. Why?

Both trucks have the same payload capacity (everything being equal other than axle ratio). The 8 speed transmission makes up for the difference when towing at all times other than starting from a stop. Towing my travel trailer, the truck is limited by its payload, and axle choice would't make a difference. It's the payload capacity and gvwr and gawr that are the important numbers when towing a travel trailer, with a half ton, not the max towing capacity that you will never be able to reach. Only if you could keep the tongue weight down to 10% would the manufacturer's advertised towing capacity number make any sense.

So the rest of the time, when I'm not towing, the 3.21 gives me an extra overdrive gear on the highway. Engine will run a little more efficiently to get the job done over the 3.92 when not towing. So that's my reason.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dealers DO have access to it but think of it this way. If they can make a sale today with what's sitting right in front of you, they're going to do it. If they showed you that this shiny new truck doesn't meet your needs you are liable to go somewhere that has one. Even if you don't leave and want to order one, that's one less sale for the rep to make towards their monthly quota. Easier to play ignorant and get you to sign on the line today.

A lot of sales people don't actually know their products. They focus on HOW to sell something as opposed to WHAT they are selling. I went through a 3 day training prior to becoming a sales rep once. At the end of the 3rd day all we had been taught was how to sell to you. We weren't taught the first thing about the vehicles. I decided that was not the life for me and I was out.

Good on you for researching yourself. The reason that I am well versed in campers is because none of the dealers are. Same with the vehicles I own. I make it a point to know everything I can about them so that I can avoid the sales tactics. I know what works and what doesn't. We always tell the sales reps... when we decide the one we want we will come sit at your desk. You are just going to push paper for us. We get zero sales pitches.
You are absolutely 100% correct. I've never met a knowledgeable dealer salesperson. I'm more interested in knowledge than someone's personality. I hope the previous posters get the opportunity to read your post. Spot on!

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I specifically looked for a truck with a .321 when I bought ours used. Why?

Both trucks have the same payload capacity (everything being equal other than axle ratio). The 8 speed transmission makes up for the difference when towing at all times other than starting from a stop. Towing my travel trailer, the truck is limited by its payload, and axle choice would't make a difference. It's the payload capacity and gvwr and gawr that are the important numbers when towing a travel trailer, with a half ton, not the max towing capacity that you will never be able to reach. Only if you could keep the tongue weight down to 10% would the manufacturer's advertised towing capacity number make any sense.

So the rest of the time, when I'm not towing, the .321 gives me an extra overdrive gear on the highway. Engine will run a little more efficiently to get the job done over the .392 when not towing. So that's my reason.
Great info, thank you.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I specifically looked for a truck with a .321 when I bought ours used. Why?

So the rest of the time, when I'm not towing, the .321 gives me an extra overdrive gear on the highway. Engine will run a little more efficiently to get the job done over the .392 when not towing. So that's my reason.

I'm not disagreeing with that. That's bad part of the SAEJ2807, it plays into 3.92 gears.

Also have to remember not everyone is buying a truck to tow a TT.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That's bad part of the SAEJ2807, it plays into 3.92 gears.
The SAE J2807 will show all combinations of engine, transmission and gearing ratio. Only a difference in wheel diameter is usually not listed but there are exceptions noted if a specific option effects the towing specs.

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not disagreeing with that. That's bad part of the SAEJ2807, it plays into 3.92 gears.

Yes, the launch on grade part of the test does that. 12% grade, has to go 16' from a dead stop, 5 times in a row in under 5min. The trailers used have a 10% tongue weight. That's where you'll definitely see the difference in capacity between the 3.21 axle and the 3.92.

So like you mentioned, much depends on what you're planning on towing. Maybe if you had a big boat, and wanted to yank it out of the water at a boat launch without resorting to 4 low then the 3.92 would be invaluable. Seriously though, if I were a contractor or a landscaper hauling trailers all around town for short hops, I'd probably want the 3.92 in my truck for that, though I'd probably have a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton then anyway.

Last edited:

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The SAE J2807 will show all combinations of engine, transmission and gearing ratio. Only a difference in wheel diameter is usually not listed but there are exceptions noted if a specific option effects the towing specs.

You are correct Sir. Even tires matter. I was just referring to fact that one part of the test is dead stop and going up incline(and reversing). Big difference between different gears for max towing for exact same Truck and everything else equal.

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I'm towing a 25ft boat about 7k loaded, double axle trailer, and a 70 Chevelle on an open car hauler double axle, but might want to tow a 28ft enclosed trailer with Chevelle and golf cart inside. So sounds like I'm fine with any rear gear, but the enclosed trailer might be doubtful with either gear. I'd have to measure the tongue weight and loaded trailer weight I assume.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm towing a 25ft boat about 7k loaded, double axle trailer, and a 70 Chevelle on an open car hauler double axle, but might want to tow a 28ft enclosed trailer with Chevelle and golf cart inside. So sounds like I'm fine with any rear gear, but the enclosed trailer might be doubtful with either gear. I'd have to measure the tongue weight and loaded trailer weight I assume.
Your boat will be fine, and the car on a flatbed will be fine. Chances are the enclosed trailer with both will be okay, it's not like an RV where the weights are static, you can adjust the weight around with an enclosed trailer, though not as much with a car in there. Worst case get a WDH for the enclosed trailer whenever you're going to load it up pretty good, most enclosed trailers that size have a steel frame so no worries there.