My new PW (and my dogs too)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shaner82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the first pic I'm standing on a snowbank in my driveway that's a good 15 feet high. Crazy winter we've had this year.

buWeduz.jpg
v5njI91.jpg
QnRUecP.jpg
yeM766C.jpg
POBCe4C.jpg

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What a beautiful pair!

Now get out there and play with that Winch! It's a lot of fun to drag **** around. :roflsquared: And it makes for good practice, so you know where all the cables and such are, and how to operate the "freewheel" release and all of that BEFORE you really need it. Being all stressed out, likely at dark in blowing snow storm is NOT the time you want to start becoming familiar with it and it's capabilities.

Just wear thick Leather Gloves (Frayed Cable bits do tremendous painful damage to one's fingers or hands) and by all means, use the Warn strap when handling the cable / hook anywhere near the rollers as you rewind it. It has a bit of a "flywheel" effect and doesn't exactly stop right when you want it to while re-spooling. I wouldn't even want to imagine what some fingers would look like being sucked into that fairlead roller. Tremendous amounts of force at work there.

Again, welcome to the 4th Gen Power Wagon Family! :favorites13:

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great truck! That thing is beast!
Love the GSD's. I grew up with them, all at different times. My parents bred them at one point as well. The best breed out there in my opinion. :favorites13:

OP
OP
shaner82

shaner82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What a beautiful pair!

Now get out there and play with that Winch! It's a lot of fun to drag **** around. :roflsquared: And it makes for good practice, so you know where all the cables and such are, and how to operate the "freewheel" release and all of that BEFORE you really need it. Being all stressed out, likely at dark in blowing snow storm is NOT the time you want to start becoming familiar with it and it's capabilities.

Just wear thick Leather Gloves (Frayed Cable bits do tremendous painful damage to one's fingers or hands) and by all means, use the Warn strap when handling the cable / hook anywhere near the rollers as you rewind it. It has a bit of a "flywheel" effect and doesn't exactly stop right when you want it to while re-spooling. I wouldn't even want to imagine what some fingers would look like being sucked into that fairlead roller. Tremendous amounts of force at work there.

Again, welcome to the 4th Gen Power Wagon Family! :favorites13:

I haven't dragged anything because I don't have anything to drag, but I did play with the winch a little bit. Seems easy enough. I can't wait until spring when I can put this truck to good use in the trails.

Ramlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great-lookin truck........and good doggies too.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I haven't dragged anything because I don't have anything to drag, but I did play with the winch a little bit.

There is always something to latch on to! :naughty:

I reeled the cable out a good ways, latched it to the receiver hitch on my RV, then let it re-wind, while dragging the brakes. Just to make sure the assembly gets used and lubed every now and again. Plus, it's good to have a tightly wound drum.

I've hitched it to tree stumps (with a nice soft length of strap wrapped around the base, as to not harm the tree) and let it wind back up just playing around. With the truck in 4WD / Park, with the parking brake tight, that thing just drags the whole PW around if in gravel. I am sure it would probably do the same in a paved parking lot.

But, I just unreel it and then let it roll itself back under power with a light drag on the brakes every couple months to make sure everything is working right.

:happy107:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
congrats on the new ride, and nice pups

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Great lookin' truck. Love those Power Wagons. Good lookin' buddies you got there too. Been thinkin' of getting a Shepherd myself.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Good looking Puppy's and that's a Beast of a truck!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Did you get the Laramie package as well?
I see you have the projector headlights and LED tails

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's also good to break in your winch cable. Google it.

I was sort of hinting at that, but if you follow the 'Internet Instructions" it involves a strict program of oiling, stretching, winding and all sorts of babysitting.

That being necessary, or not, could probably fill an entire thread all by itself.

A nice, tight rewind and familiarity with one's Winch is one thing. A drippy, slippery diesel fuel or oil soaked mess is entirely something else.

I sprayed some WD-40 on mine to keep moisture from getting in there and to provide a light amount of lubrication. Though, I do not live in an humid environment. I couldn't imagine going through the entire 4o hour unravel, stretch-lube-stretch-wind prep protocol and have it dripping excess lube, and then having to deal with all the light dust and sand that would be attracted and stick to everything down the road when handling the line.

Some would call that routine mandatory and responsible, others probably would call it fanatical and completely unnecessary.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007