New to the 4th gen and forums advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2023RAM1500ds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi guys I have several questions...
I have a
- 24 Camaro 2ss (Last year of the camaro)
-24 4RUNNER (Last year of the V6 )
AND as you know this is the last year of the DS 23 Classic Editions and also the last of the Hemis... and i want one!! last DS and last of Hemis..

Always loved this body style. I finally found the one i want with all the options needed 3.92 23 'warlock classic in hydro blue ( which is in a different county but willing to drive there to pick it up) but there are orange harvest ones closer to my area with almost same spec , trailer brake,, tow hooks all the power options etc but none of them have the technolgy package (with remote start and push start button)
so first question
1) if i get the coppper edition without the technology pacakge and thus wont get the PUSH start button (Technology pacakge) if i go with that one am I missing anything other feature with that??

... Now that they are offering 25% off... Technically im in a position to finance it but the banks dont want to take a risk *sigh*.... so they want me to trade one of the cars before i can get the last of the best RAMs...

okay now the questions...
I'm aware of the hemi tick, there are solutions i hope( with hellcat oil pump etc) not idling the truck, the fact that the truck doesnt have all the modern touches (like all the cameras the camaro and 4runner offer) , tech, and the RAM has a hard plasticy feel to it... probably is not as reliable as a 4runner (not trying t dis the truck), not as noisey as the camaro's exhaust backfires....YET i want one sooo bad!

Camaro has always been " my car" from the 3rd - 6th gens... took me forever to find this last 24 edition with all the specs i wanted in it. It's the same story with the 4rUNNER.. Yet if i want the RAM... i have to let go of one...... and the camaro seems to be the one my mind wants to let go of...

2) which one would you let go of? The last reliable SUV, or the camaro? Am i crazy that i want to trade a camaro for it??
Ideally i SHOULD keep the camaro as my summer sports car to have fun with, and get rid of the 4runner??? i dont want to get rid of the best reliable SUV.

The specs of the fully optioned ram DS is about $4,000 more than camaro... but with the discount and the negative equity would bring the price back up, but im willing to do it...

3) I have heard good things about this zf transmission on the DS, and the engine should hold.... im **** about oil changes etc. How hard are the transmisson fluid changes on these? Are they "sealed for the life of the transmissions" or can their transmission fluids be changed on regular intervals and extend their lives??

4) Those that have had these trucks for a long time is there a difference in terms of longivity of the 3.92 vs 3.21 rear ends? Does one wear it more than the other?

5) How are the electronics ?? All manufacturers suffer from some sort of glitch, given theyve had these for about 14-15 years has Dodge ironed out all the issues?

6) How are the overal rust issues on the BODY/ frame of these trucks. ( I live in the salt belt)

7) Catch cans... are they mandatory on these?
8) should i get the larger 32 gallon tank...

again im looking at several models of the ds warlocks.. so still havent pulled the trigger... Came on here to get some prespectives.

9) I was hoping i could keep all 3 and to be honest to preserve the camaro and the 4runner........ and use this new potential DS truck as my daily driver.... yet some how im willing to let go of the camaro to get this...(Am i crazy?) lol

i know it's a long thread but i cant stop thinking about this last classic warlock edition and need advice from people that have experince with this generation of truck.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
My advice always get rid of any blue oval or bow ties! But that is just from someone that knows these things! But WELCOME TO the Forum!

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd get rid of the *** first

First and foremost because it isn't American and secondly because the overlap between the ram and the 4 runner

Seems to me keeping the camaro and the ram makes for a more versatile duo

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have a
AND as you know this is the last year of the DS 23 Classic Editions and also the last of the Hemis... and i want one!! last DS and last of Hemis..

Always loved this body style. I finally found the one i want with all the options needed 3.92 23 'warlock classic in hydro blue ( which is in a different county but willing to drive there to pick it up) but there are orange harvest ones closer to my area with almost same spec , trailer brake,, tow hooks all the power options etc but none of them have the technolgy package (with remote start and push start button)
so first question
1) if i get the coppper edition without the technology pacakge and thus wont get the PUSH start button (Technology pacakge) if i go with that one am I missing anything other feature with that??

... Now that they are offering 25% off... Technically im in a position to finance it but the banks dont want to take a risk *sigh*.... so they want me to trade one of the cars before i can get the last of the best RAMs...

I'm aware of the hemi tick, there are solutions i hope( with hellcat oil pump etc) not idling the truck, the fact that the truck doesnt have all the modern touches (like all the cameras the camaro and 4runner offer) , tech, and the RAM has a hard plasticy feel to it... probably is not as reliable as a 4runner (not trying t dis the truck), not as noisey as the camaro's exhaust backfires....YET i want one sooo bad!

Camaro has always been " my car" from the 3rd - 6th gens... took me forever to find this last 24 edition with all the specs i wanted in it. It's the same story with the 4rUNNER.. Yet if i want the RAM... i have to let go of one...... and the camaro seems to be the one my mind wants to let go of...

2) which one would you let go of? The last reliable SUV, or the camaro? Am i crazy that i want to trade a camaro for it??
Ideally i SHOULD keep the camaro as my summer sports car to have fun with, and get rid of the 4runner??? i dont want to get rid of the best reliable SUV.

The specs of the fully optioned ram DS is about $4,000 more than camaro... but with the discount and the negative equity would bring the price back up, but im willing to do it...

3) I have heard good things about this zf transmission on the DS, and the engine should hold.... im **** about oil changes etc. How hard are the transmisson fluid changes on these? Are they "sealed for the life of the transmissions" or can their transmission fluids be changed on regular intervals and extend their lives??

4) Those that have had these trucks for a long time is there a difference in terms of longivity of the 3.92 vs 3.21 rear ends? Does one wear it more than the other?

5) How are the electronics ?? All manufacturers suffer from some sort of glitch, given theyve had these for about 14-15 years has Dodge ironed out all the issues?

6) How are the overal rust issues on the BODY/ frame of these trucks. ( I live in the salt belt)

again im looking at several models of the ds warlocks.. so still havent pulled the trigger... Came on here to get some prespectives.

9) I was hoping i could keep all 3 and to be honest to preserve the camaro and the 4runner........ and use this new potential DS truck as my daily driver.... yet some how im willing to let go of the camaro to get this...(Am i crazy?) lol

i know it's a long thread but i cant stop thinking about this last classic warlock edition and need advice from people that have experince with this generation of truck.

To try and actually answer a few of your questions (bashing the other vehicles seems to have been well covered already):

1) The Tech Package includes the Push Button Start, Passive Entry (Door unlocks when you get the keyfob close) and glossy door handles, so those are the features you'd loose without it.

4) As per ZF, Lifetime = 80,000-100,000 miles. It can be changed. If you use the OEM parts, the entire pan must be replaced as the filter is built into it. Some aftermarket pans have a replaceable filter. The fluid is expensive and the process is somewhat of a P.I.T.A. but doable.

6) Get it Fluid Filmed or Wool Waxed right away and you'll be good.

7) In My Opinion, Yes.

8) Unless you live somewhere where it's an ordeal to get to a filling station or you travel/tow long distance, I'd say not needed.

-K

OP
OP
2023RAM1500ds

2023RAM1500ds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
To try and actually answer a few of your questions (bashing the other vehicles seems to have been well covered already):

1) The Tech Package includes the Push Button Start, Passive Entry (Door unlocks when you get the keyfob close) and glossy door handles, so those are the features you'd loose without it.

4) As per ZF, Lifetime = 80,000-100,000 miles. It can be changed. If you use the OEM parts, the entire pan must be replaced as the filter is built into it. Some aftermarket pans have a replaceable filter. The fluid is expensive and the process is somewhat of a P.I.T.A. but doable.

6) Get it Fluid Filmed or Wool Waxed right away and you'll be good.

7) In My Opinion, Yes.

8) Unless you live somewhere where it's an ordeal to get to a filling station or you travel/tow long distance, I'd say not needed.

-K
Thank you sir!

I got the one with pretty much all the options built into it.

Thank you for the info. Need to do the fluid film now. The dealer said they would not spray the bottom of the bed... only the cab is covered under warranty.

Also need to look for a hard tonneau cover!

So far im loving the truck!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
chrome_image_Nov. 16, 2023 4_51_54 a.m. EST.png to Ram Forum. :cool:

Shop around for a catch can. I found something suitable on Amazon.ca for about $30 CDN, no need to spend a fortune.

I had to replace the crappy tubing but everything else was the same quality as the more expensive models.

It has a dip gauge to measure content volume and the bottom of the canister unthreads for easy dumping.

Rip426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a

so first question

i know it's a long thread but i cant stop thinking about this last classic warlock edition and need advice from people that have experience with this generation of truck.
Hello. Just figured I would give my opinion, or thoughts I guess. I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4, 5.7 with 85,000 miles, 8 speed automatic, and 3.92 gears, 8.4 screen. So far I haven't had any issues in your list, the only issue I have had was with the aftermarket "Air Lift air springs, (red color ones that fit in the coil springs)" I had added, went through 3 sets before I gave up on them, so, don't waste your money on them. They did have a lifetime warranty, but, it sucks changing them out every year. I do regular oil changes, every 3000 miles, not the factory recommended 5000 miles, and the dealer where I bought it, the truck has a lifetime engine warranty as long as they do the oil changes. I live in northern Manitoba in Canada, and so far I have no rust issues at all on my truck, and they do salt the roads here in winter, just wash it regularly.
You can always upgrade later, as I have installed heated/vented leather seats from a Laramie in my truck, auto high beams and auto wipers, leather dash, and a few more items. and planning to add more. Anyways, personally, I would be keeping the Camaro, as you really wouldn't need two 4 wheel drives, if the truck is a crew cab, not sure of what configuration your looking at. Then you would have a nice cruiser for summer. This is my own personal experience/suggestion, so hopefully you will get more, and not make decision on just one. Good luck.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyways, personally, I would be keeping the Camaro, as you really wouldn't need two 4 wheel drives, if the truck is a crew cab, not sure of what configuration your looking at.

You must have missed post #7. :cool:

So i traded the camaro in... :( Got the most optioned out in hydro blue!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357