'16 Bighorn:Differences between Fleet/Rental (CPO) and Regular/Consumer truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good morning. I've been looking at and driving a LOT of trucks. One thing I'm seeing for the '16/17 Bighorns is that equipment wise...the leftover new '16's tend to be better equipped than the former fleet/rental (CPO) trucks. ex. CPO has the Uconnect 5.0, most of the new leftover '16's have the 8.4. The new leftovers tend to have the trailer brake controller, while the CPO does not.

Those are minor differences that don't particularly concern me. I would rather miss those minor features, save a chunk of dough, and go CPO...if I can find a clean truck.

What I'm curious of though...are there any other features that the CPO/fleet truck would typically lack, that would typically be found in a regular consumer vehicle? ex. Backup camera. I've "heard" (on the internets), that the Uconnect 5.0 is sometimes pre-wired for the backup camera. Is that the case for the fleet Bighorns? If so...adding the backup camera would be a LOT less involved than having to run the wires. Thank you.:favorites13:

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your question is a hard one to answer
It all varies just because it's a previous rental, cpo or cleans title doesn't mean they have more than the others. Sometimes rentals are fully loaded it's just what you find

It's all up to you to do your research and see what fits your needs.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good morning. I've been looking at and driving a LOT of trucks. One thing I'm seeing for the '16/17 Bighorns is that equipment wise...the leftover new '16's tend to be better equipped than the former fleet/rental (CPO) trucks. ex. CPO has the Uconnect 5.0, most of the new leftover '16's have the 8.4. The new leftovers tend to have the trailer brake controller, while the CPO does not.

Those are minor differences that don't particularly concern me. I would rather miss those minor features, save a chunk of dough, and go CPO...if I can find a clean truck.

What I'm curious of though...are there any other features that the CPO/fleet truck would typically lack, that would typically be found in a regular consumer vehicle? ex. Backup camera. I've "heard" (on the internets), that the Uconnect 5.0 is sometimes pre-wired for the backup camera. Is that the case for the fleet Bighorns? If so...adding the backup camera would be a LOT less involved than having to run the wires. Thank you.:favorites13:

most fleet vehicles have fewer options. not always the case but more often then not i would say so. if theres an option you want, your better off buying it with the vehicle rather then adding it after the fact in most cases. theres also no rhyme or reason to these trucks being pre-wired for a backup camera (if not already equipped). some are, most are not. buying "x" model truck isnt going to make it more likely that its pre-wired either.

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the responses. I'll keep perusing the internets to see what else I can find out.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel bad for anyone that has purchased a rental car that I used to drive. Especially the ones that my employer provided for me and all I had to do was sign my name to drive them away.
I drove those rental Ram 1500's like I wish I could drive my own!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I feel bad for anyone that has purchased a rental car that I used to drive. Especially the ones that my employer provided for me and all I had to do was sign my name to drive them away.

How did they hold up being driven like that? Just curious. Rentals lead a hard life, no doubt about that.

UrbanKnight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My company truck is an ex enterprise 2015 ram big horn. I got it with 17k on the clock, and put another 35k on it so far without a hiccup... 20mpg everywhere down here (mostly on highway, and I'm not gentle on it. Great buy for the money we saved buying fleet.

It did not have backup cam with its uconnect 5.0, but $225 on ebay I got a better quality tailgate cam, and module that allo nav override and such that was plug and play. I just had to run the wire and pull the radio to install. I also changed over to the 8.4 radio as well. Its been a great truck.

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You probably drove the one I took for a test drive last weekend, lol. Seriously though...that's one thing that concerns me with the fleet trucks. You know that some of those are getting beaten pretty mercilessly. That being said...you can generally tell if a vehicle has been beaten on before you put the key in the ignition.

My company truck is an ex enterprise 2015 ram big horn. I got it with 17k on the clock, and put another 35k on it so far without a hiccup... 20mpg everywhere down here (mostly on highway, and I'm not gentle on it. Great buy for the money we saved buying fleet.

It did not have backup cam with its uconnect 5.0, but $225 on ebay I got a better quality tailgate cam, and module that allo nav override and such that was plug and play. I just had to run the wire and pull the radio to install. I also changed over to the 8.4 radio as well. Its been a great truck.

Most of the ones that I'm seeing have right around 17k miles. Just from looking at pictures online, you can tell that some had an easy year...others...not so much

I'll give that some thought. I don't have a lot of spare time, so the thought of having them put the OEM camera in and have it under warranty would be appealing. The rate I drive though...it'll be out of the bumper to bumper warranty within a year, so that won't really matter for me.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you plan on putting a lot of miles on the truck and plan on keeping it for 5+ years, go with a Certified Pre Owned. Then get the lifetime unlimited mileage warranty. You'll have worry free driving and wont have to think twice about the odometer racking up.

There is nothing worse than still having a $450 a month truck payment, and your truck is in the shop cause the engine is making a noise, or the transmission is slipping.

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you plan on putting a lot of miles on the truck and plan on keeping it for 5+ years, go with a Certified Pre Owned. Then get the lifetime unlimited mileage warranty. You'll have worry free driving and wont have to think twice about the odometer racking up.

There is nothing worse than still having a $450 a month truck payment, and your truck is in the shop cause the engine is making a noise, or the transmission is slipping.

If it was a Chrysler warranty (not aftermarket) and the price was fair, I'd think about it. The GF just bought a CPO vehicle. The unlimited lifetime mileage warranty they offered up was close to $4k, if I remember correctly.

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe a CPO has a 100k mileage powertrain warranty, while a new 16 only has 60k. No additional cost for it either. My wife has a CPO caravan and that was the deal on it. I know there was additional bumper to bumper, but I can't remember what that was.