2013 1500 V6.....yea or nay???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
I took a road trip recently and rented a Durango. It was 16 city/ 24 highway. It got me thinking.......I really do like decent MPG's! For the longest time I thought "ah who cares about mileage. I want me a truck." Now I am thinking a truck CAN have decent mileage. The new Ram 1500 V6 has good mileage. What is it like 18/25 I believe.

Long story short I am really considering the V6. I am thinking that for the benefit of saying "I got a Hemi" is just not worth it if I have to suffer with crap gas mileage. I have driven a Ford Ranger the past 10 years and I am sick and I am tired of being the gas station's *****. I won't stand for it anymore.

Is it un-manly to get the V6 in your opinion? I just want to see what people think of the V6.

Needless to say as much as I love the Power Wagon......it is going to have to be a "no go" for me. It hurts.......as I love the Power Wagon. But there is no way on God's Green Earth that I can justify driving around a 10 mpg vehicle. I can not for the life of me do it. As much as I want to.

Last edited:

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
To be honest. I get good mileage in my Hemi. 13 to 15mpg in the city and 20 to 24 mpg on the Hwy. it's all comes down to how you drive it. If you drive it like a race car, it's gonna need gas like one. I drive my RAM like everyone else. I don't baby it. But I don't dog it out either. Whatever you choose I'm sure you will be happy, but if you want a Hemi and you don't get it, you will regret it down the road.

OP
OP
W

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
To be honest. I get good mileage in my Hemi. 13 to 15mpg in the city and 20 to 24 mpg on the Hwy. it's all comes down to how you drive it. If you drive it like a race car, it's gonna need gas like one. I drive my RAM like everyone else. I don't baby it. But I don't dog it out either. Whatever you choose I'm sure you will be happy, but if you want a Hemi and you don't get it, you will regret it down the road.

Well.....yeah that is not bad mileage at all. You bring up a good point about regrets. I gotta think this one out. I still have 2 and a half months until the probation period is up at my new job. So I have time.

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well.....yeah that is not bad mileage at all. You bring up a good point about regrets. I gotta think this one out. I still have 2 and a half months until the probation period is up at my new job. So I have time.

Is a Hemi plus a small beater daily driver on the side an option? If you could hang with two insurance payments I'd go that route.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well having the hemi isnt just for hemi bragging rights, if you need to tow or haul anything then its great for that to of course

joeg45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
it all depends how you drive these monsters treat them nice and there sorta nice back to you and if you plan on modding lifts big wheels or so on and on might as well get something your going to love to begin with

or lik bluesmoke91 said get a beater car for daily driving and let your truck be your weekend toy like me im looking for a bike mainly so i stop putting so many miles on my truck but also for mpg these 4.10 are fun but unforgiving when you drive mostly highway

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Completely up to you. The Pentastar is a great engine especially with the ZF 8speed. My dealer let me drive one a few weeks ago. If you do some light towing it will still be fine. Anything real heavy you'll wish you had the Hemi or a 2500 Cummins. If you're the kind of person that looks at your vehicles as an appliance to get you from point A to point B, the V6 may be right for you. If you enjoy modding though I would get the Hemi, it puts a smile on my face every time I mash the skinny pedal. You need to weigh the pros and cons and go with the decision that's right for you.

Noved

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After reading the pickuptrucks.com review of the 3.6L Ram towing and unloaded I was actually impressed with that little motor. However, I do want to point out that if you are buying your truck to tow than I would probably consider the Hemi. For example for me my flat bed trailer weighs around 2k empty with a payload of 5-6k which means fully loaded trailer and all I am looking at 8000 pounds to tow at the most. I opted for the Hemi with 3.92s because I would have a 5 ton max tow rating if I ever needed it and 95% of the time I will be a grand or 2 under the max rating. I always look ahead when purchasing a truck its a big decision and you cannot take it lightly. Cargo or trailer loads add up quicker than you think so make sure you do all your research. I do agree with the above poster though with light towing and mostly a daily driver the V6 is a good choice.

EDIT: I wanted to point out that if you plan on doing performance mods it will be easier to do it with the Hemi than the Pentastar at this point in time.

Last edited:

FamRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hopefully '13 or '14
Engine
most likely 3.6
Drove one last weekend. SLT Bighorn package, Crew cab, 4x4. Very impressive. Will be getting one toward the end of the year.

Captain McGillycutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I havnt got to drive the new v6 in the truck, but its not to bad in the new jeep jks. As far as the power wagon I see 10-15MPG depending on how I drive it. Thats with the 10" and 40's on stock 4.56 gearing with the diablo tune. Freeway I see 13-15 and city 10-13. It really depends on how you drive it. I dont remember what I had when it was stock but it wasnt to bad.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
IMO, you just have to look at what you do, or will be using your truck for. I don't pull a trailer a lot, but the boat and trailer I DO pull are VERY heavy so that pretty much made my option the V8. I am also in LOVE with the sound of American V8's... Hell... Any V8 really... I was REALLY leaning towards the Ford with the Eco-Boost motor, but just couldn't get past the 10 year old design of the truck. IMO, the EB motor is as close as you'll get to being the best of both worlds right now. If you're not in a rush, wait for the RAM 1500 Diesel.

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
I own a 2011 Jeep GC with the Pentastar and a 5 speed auto. The truck gets 18 around town and between 23-24 on the highway on trips. It is rated 16/22, and as BAILEY1 said above how you drive it plays a BIG role in your avg mpg. I don't baby it, but every traffic light isn't a race either. Its a very good engine, but the power doesn't come on until higher rpm and lacks a little torque.

I drove a 2013 ram with the v6 8 speed and thought it was a good combo. The 8 speed makes much better use of the engine's power characteristics and for sure could be a daily driver it you didn't intend to haul heavy loads or pull a trailer more than just occasionally.

I had considered getting the v6, but ordered the HEMI. I had a 2006 HEMI ram and just miss the power and the sound of the Hemi. I got between 20 & 21 on the highway and 15 around town with the HEMI, so not that big of a difference. Keep in mind the 8 Speed should make the HEMI mpg even better. I would assume the mpg difference between the v6 and v8 with the 8 speed to be minimal in a similarly equipped truck. To me that could mean $40-50 per month in additional gas expense at most to have the HEMI.

Honestly the v6 would have probably been ok for me, but I know I will be happier with the HEMI and know I will LOVE the HEMI. I know I would regret not getting the Hemi. The 8 speed is what makes the choice easy for me.

Also remember that 18/25 rating is for the reg cab 2wd HFE model with the start start function.

I hope this helps you.

steadly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Are we talking v6 gas or new coming v6 diesel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

raptor1797

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well with the price of diesel these days I dont think that would be my option. Ya, I know everyone will tell what good milage you will get but it sure will hurt filling it up. My two cents are you never know what lies around the corner for anyone so if you can afford the Hemi then get it and enjoy. No regrets !

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are a 'truck guy' then get the Hemi or you will yearn for more.

If you are getting a truck so you can do stuff around the house (move things, dump load, bikes, lumber, landscaping, pets) then the v6 would be good.

I admit that I would be fully satisfied with a v6 8 speed. 305hp is still pretty stout. 10 years ago that all the small block v8's were putting out. Would love the mpgs. Everything would be fine until I left the pavement. That's where I would miss my PW. But don't think you can't go off road with the v6 either, still capable enough to get to that camp site or hit the logging roads.

So as many others have said: outline the scope of your truck use, then buy accordingly.

steadly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7

I'd say no. Get at a v8 IMO for enough torque to be happy while driving. That or wait for the new diesel that's coming out. Should give you the best millage yet in a 1500.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
W

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
Is a Hemi plus a small beater daily driver on the side an option? If you could hang with two insurance payments I'd go that route.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If I were king......I would get the Power Wagon and hardly ever drive it. I would have a daily driver like a Dodge Dart. But I don't want to be spending all of my paycheck on 2 cars. 2 insurance payments. Nope, no can do. At least not at this point of my life.

OP
OP
W

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
After reading the pickuptrucks.com review of the 3.6L Ram towing and unloaded I was actually impressed with that little motor. However, I do want to point out that if you are buying your truck to tow than I would probably consider the Hemi. For example for me my flat bed trailer weighs around 2k empty with a payload of 5-6k which means fully loaded trailer and all I am looking at 8000 pounds to tow at the most. I opted for the Hemi with 3.92s because I would have a 5 ton max tow rating if I ever needed it and 95% of the time I will be a grand or 2 under the max rating. I always look ahead when purchasing a truck its a big decision and you cannot take it lightly. Cargo or trailer loads add up quicker than you think so make sure you do all your research. I do agree with the above poster though with light towing and mostly a daily driver the V6 is a good choice.

EDIT: I wanted to point out that if you plan on doing performance mods it will be easier to do it with the Hemi than the Pentastar at this point in time.

I plan on doing ZERO performance mods. I also don't tow anything.....unless I buy an ATV. But thats light.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Unless you think a V8 makes up for a small dangly bit ;), get the V6. Anything more would be overkill for you IMO.

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...