Should I take this 2013 Ram 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haydenrbm

Reaction score
First of all, really appreciate any and all replies here.

Truck in question

My wife inherited this truck from her late father. Should we keep it or sell it?

It’s a 2013 1500 ST 5.7L w/ 130,000km (80k miles) 4x4 crew cab. Seems to be not worth a whole lot, around $18,000 - $21,000 CAD). We can't decide if I should just throw it up on Facebook and get rid of it, or if I should sell my 2016 VW GTI for about $25,000 and keep this.

Downsides to this truck IMO is I am not super crazy about the colour..it isn't terrible but I don't love it. I noticed that the front bumper is partially black and the rest is chrome..hate everything about that. What is the solution to this for colour matched bumpers? I am assuming the best option would be buy new bumpers primed and have them painted? Do they make a wrap that is the same colour as the orange I could wrap the black part of the bumper to?

This truck has the small 4" screen, how hard is it to swap to one of those Apple Carplay head units on Amazon? Do they work decently well?

I have a VW GTI and my wife has a Mazda, I know next to nothing about Ram trucks.

Is this year/engine/model decent? What is the general consensus? I am inclined to believe it was well taken care of, but I have no service records at all.

Thank you!

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you need a truck or are you happy with the VW?
Drive it for a week or two, see how you feel then. The larger size takes some getting used to.
It will get worse fuel mileage than your VW, but it might ride better, and you won't have any worries in the snow.
It should have the 6 speed transmission, which is pretty nice.
If you sell the VW you could paint the truck any color you like, replace the bumpers, and have cash left over.
Changing to a larger screen shouldn't be an issue, but you might want to use an OEM Ram unit which will integrate in to the dash better.
The MDS system can cause lifter/cam issues, read up on that.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is the best color for a truck ever, I have no idea why you don't like the copper.

6 or 8 speed? what gears,.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I agree with you on the bumper, that is that particular model, they do have a sport bumper that you can paint match. I got rid of mine as well. This ram you have is in the range of the best trucks ever made range in years for gas trucks. Like 2011-12 and with the 13 right there as some people do prefer the 8. A couple things you can do to it like take out the gov't from the truck, heater bypass and some small deletes. Personally I would murder out some rims, I like rebel knock offs because they are cheap and keep the factory offset, easy peasy.

IMG_3549.JPG?crop=0.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Rebel rims 800 bucks, you have a couple options this is black undertone to machine polish, or you can go to straight black same price maybe 50 less. Ebay in USA great place to buy rims, dunno bout up there. That's a burla thing, I just don't prfer the chrome. I also like tires with some sidewall, so 17's is how I roll. That truck would look good either way. I will say 17's also give great protection from pot holes.

here is a 2013 like I am saying, I have no idea what is in the center of the wheel, of course that should be blacked out. Maybe projector headlights and with yiour camper shell, imo a truck to be proud of. The mileage is also good that year 2013.

level-leveling-kit-anthem-off-road-equalizer-black.jpg

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If the majority of your driving is going to be in Vancouver,you're gonna to grow to hate that topper. I don't get to Vancouver all that often,but i hate driving in that city, i've drove around it with a truck that had a topper,and it made it even worse.If you got the truck free,why not keep it and the cars,and use the truck when you need a truck

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
I inherited my father's 2013 Tradesman Crew Cab. It is Bright White.
I have modified alot with alot to go still.
It has the 4.7L with the 6 speed auto trans with 3.55 geared rear diff.
I upgraded it to the 7" EVIC and the 8.4 radio so far. I have a floor full console that will be installed when I am sure the weather will be good.
I also have a 6" lift and 35" BFG tires on it now. I also upgraded from the actual key to keyfob and added remote start.
I love working on my trucks so this was an awesome project for me.
Hope you keep yours and modify it to make it yours!
It was very stock when I got mine.
Before and in progress pics attached.

Attachments

• Cara Dune.jpg
    Cara Dune.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 2013 Ram L side front.jpg
    2013 Ram L side front.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 9