Advice on selling my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started out at $34,500 and will probably be comfortable taking $32-33k for it. Only has 5k miles. I really want to just dump the expensive truck. I can afford it but I have other hobbies that I would rather spend the money on, and it's more "loaded" than I like. I'm a guy with plain taste and my race bikes are always covered in mud with sweaty gear and I'd rather not clean out a new fancy truck every time I get home.

OP
OP
G

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:roflsquared:And my wife and I are moving this spring. We have a camper a motorcycle trailer my truck and her new Xterra. I'm thinking of dumping the Ram and the MC trailer for a Motovan

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
:roflsquared:And my wife and I are moving this spring. We have a camper a motorcycle trailer my truck and her new Xterra. I'm thinking of dumping the Ram and the MC trailer for a Motovan

For being only 25, you sure got a lot out there in new vehicles and toys. Sure you are not living a little beyond your means?

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
No tandem for the trailers. Each towed separately. MC trailer loaded is only like 3k lbs at the most. Camper loaded is like 6500. Last trip u was just wishing for a little more truck but I think I'll hang on to it for awhile longer

There is no reason that a half ton can't pull a 6500 lbs loaded travel trailer. You are going to take a bath if you sell or trade it in. Think about it... you know the history of your truck, you know what problems you had or didn't have. The guy that is going to buy has no clue about the history and has to assume that something is wrong and pay a price that will mitigate that problem. If you are setting an asking price that is basically what it costs new... why wouldn't your potential buyer go out and buy a new truck with lower financing, no miles, no potential problems and a full 3 year warranty? For me to forego all that, I need to save a decent chunk of change.

If you just want to dump the truck to get something else, that is your call. Financially you would be making a poor decision and wouldn't really save any money in the long haul.

My advice is to keep what you have and keep making payments. I wouldn't sell it unless you have a NEED for a bigger truck. You apparently only have a WANT for a "different" truck. Buying on WANT instead of NEED is rarely a good idea... especially when we are talking $30K vehicles.

Good luck either way.

OP
OP
G

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife and I boh have decent jobs and we have to move for work this spring. We don't keep any credit card debt, don't own a house because we are required to move often so all we have is our camper and two cars. We don't live beyond our means but a flooded and damaged rental house this spring forced us to relocate to a more expensive house because south Texas real estate is ridiculously expensive and we only had 10 months left here. Before when we had a cheaper house we were putting away more money but now with us having to move possibly cross country id like to get rid of some stuff and I really don't need a brand new truck.

Dimarini

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing to think about ... if you trade it in on something else you get credit for the trade off of the taxes that you would pay. If you sell it, then buy something else, you don't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007