Advice: Selling a Lifted Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OP, I personally view 2012s as a selling BONUS! And you might "talk it up" as such when you go to sell it.

The 2012 1500 is the last year before all the 2013 changes, which included a lot more electronic stuff (headaches!). The front is more 'classic' Ram looking. Old-school hydraulic power steering. No worrying about the $2,500 a pop, Electric Power Steering rack going out. If it has the RFE transmission, they're very serviceable (real dipstick, easy-to-service). 2012's were real solid. Plus whatever inprovements and/or upgrades you've added.
I appreciate the insight on this as I will do what I can to use this to my advantage.

A bit of an update: I spoke to one of the four dealers and they gave me a number of $13,500. Still lower than what I was offered before, but gives me an idea of what dealers want to offer. I am definitely going to take the FB Marketplace/Craigslist/Private Sale route. The manager of the one dealer told me that if he took it in for that $13,500, he would run it through his shop and list it between $21k-$20k. Told him I appreciated his advice.

Thanks to all who took the time to chime in with their opinions and experiences. I greatly appreciate all of you!

Adam

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best of luck. Hope you come out nice on it. Let us know how it goes.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, I'd buy a couple in an instant if I saw them for that price around here. And turn around and double my money. :burnout:
I agree! My husband was offered $15K (private sale) for his '01 Chevy dually with the gas 8.1L and 150K on her. He's not selling... but it shows the market.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the good luck wishes. Another dealer got back to me today and offered $15k. Still well off from what I was offered before, but I know the market has changed a lot. I’ll keep you guys posted for sure.

Adam

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Are these cash offers, or trade in offers? Not the same thing. It’s easy to inflate a trade number, it just increases the new vehicle price.

If it’s a trade, I never let a dealer “offer” me a price. I set the (net) price I’ll pay, they can take it or leave it. I’m not the one needing to make a deal to pay the bills.

If you’re selling for cash, the leverage is not the same.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might be in a disadvantaged place now. But if you do sell it outright, when you go shopping with cash, you'll be in a good bargaining position.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You might be in a disadvantaged place now. But if you do sell it outright, when you go shopping with cash, you'll be in a good bargaining position.
I knew I would be in a “disadvantage” place waiting until now, but didn’t know it was by this much. I mean, when I was looking in 2021, the trade value was at $23k, interest rates were in the high 3 low 4 range and the vehicle price was roughly $5k-$7k less. So you are right on point with me being in a disadvantaged place. Lol!

Adam

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I knew I would be in a “disadvantage” place waiting until now, but didn’t know it was by this much. I mean, when I was looking in 2021, the trade value was at $23k, interest rates were in the high 3 low 4 range and the vehicle price was roughly $5k-$7k less. So you are right on point with me being in a disadvantaged place. Lol!

Adam

This forum used to full of 'just wait, prices are going to crash' messages. I waited a bit, thinking the same, but the trajectory continued to track up. Today's ok price is tomorrow's fantastic price. Maybe it'll reverse soon, maybe it won't, my crystal ball is often cloudy. Just do what's right for you and don't worry about it.

FWIW, I had a 2012 until last year. I only "got rid of it" by giving it to my son to help him get started in life. Else I likely would still be driving it. I love my Power Wagon, but the old 2012 Express was a great truck for me for just over a decade of use.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This forum used to full of 'just wait, prices are going to crash' messages. I waited a bit, thinking the same, but the trajectory continued to track up. Today's ok price is tomorrow's fantastic price. Maybe it'll reverse soon, maybe it won't, my crystal ball is often cloudy. Just do what's right for you and don't worry about it.

FWIW, I had a 2012 until last year. I only "got rid of it" by giving it to my son to help him get started in life. Else I likely would still be driving it. I love my Power Wagon, but the old 2012 Express was a great truck for me for just over a decade of use.
Dang our crystal balls for being cloudy, right?! Haha! But yes, I agree. I can wait and wait and wait and be in a much worse situation later or be better. It is what it is. I want a 2500, I’m going to get a 2500. Like you, I LOVE my 2012 1500. I just need the capabilities of the 2500 at this stage of my life. I hate to let my 1500 go because of how much time and work I put into it, but it’s time.

Adam

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They're actually low. LOL.

When we bought our first house our interest rate was 6.75% and nobody at work believed we got THAT rate. They thought I was pulling their legs. At that time people had interest rates in the 11% range. I told them to call their banks if they didn't believe me. In about a weeks' time several people were in the process of refinancing.

So I guess it depends on how ya look at it. Anyone who thought 3 & 4 ..5% interest would last was dreaming. BTW, high interest and inflation is a worldwide factor. Other countries are quite a bit higher. Its part of the post-covid thing. All these same things happened after the 1918 pandemic (wage inflation, strikes, labor shuffeling, etc). History kind of repeats itself. This stuff was predicted years ago... now it's happening. No surprise.

houserco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8
I don't know what is with the world these days but people getting back to potential customers has just gone the way of the dinosaur. Since Covid, every business doesn't care.... at all. They just apologize upfront (usually with a sandwich board at the door or a cute message on the phone admitting that you're about to have a terrible experience). I've had a run of "needs" lately and am completely shocked.... contractors, parts for various things, insurance agents, medical providers, vendors of all types all just refuse to return calls or emails. I keep thinking my phone is broken but I guess it's just the way things are. I sure wish I could afford to run my business this way.

No doubt. And it seems like it's just about every business I've come across.

I personally think a couple things happened. A) A lot of businesses died B) All you have to be is cheaper - in a day when almost everything is 30-50% higher than it was... it's easy to suck when you're cheap.

I have a 2018 1500 Lone Star with a 6" lift and big ole tires (only 48k mileage) and was offered $34k just sitting there waiting on my fiancé to sign papers on her new car. I like my truck too much to consider it but that felt like a pretty strong offer considering it's what I paid a few years ago. Lol.

That said, it's busy here in DFW. So, lots of new out of state transplants.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My dads first house was 19% in the 70’s! Crazy.
Bought our first house in the early 80's, in Jimmy Carter's disastrous inflation period. Started about at 10% and was adjusted up every 6 months for a couple of years. Felt lucky to get it. I look at the current Fed rates as being more "normal". And I'm glad to see it. If the rates continued to be low and we had another economic crisis, the Fed would not be able to do anything to combat it. I do feel bad for folks that didn't get in on the artificially low interest rates of the last few years, but that's life, I guess.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
One of the nice things that came out of the dealership offer to buy my truck was they included a screenshot of their est retail value :)IMG_8004.jpeg

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I guess my next question would be this: What prep recommendations can you guys give for selling the truck privately? Should I spray the underbody with a fresh coat of black paint or do you think that would raise suspicion that I’m trying to hide something? That’s just one example. Thoughts?

Adam

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess my next question would be this: What prep recommendations can you guys give for selling the truck privately? Should I spray the underbody with a fresh coat of black paint or do you think that would raise suspicion that I’m trying to hide something? That’s just one example. Thoughts?

Adam
I actually just recently looked at an older vehicle where they had done just that, and it turned me away immediately.
I suggest just get it squeaky clean inside and out and the truck will speak for itself.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I actually just recently looked at an older vehicle where they had done just that, and it turned me away immediately.
I suggest just get it squeaky clean inside and out and the truck will speak for itself.

EXACTLY!! When I see a vehicle freshly sprayed black underneath its a dead giveaway they're trying to hide something, whether they are or not. Seems like alot of the used lots do this so I don't even bother looking much further once I see that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357