Air lift 1000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcarbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I have been pulling my camper with out the air lift 1000. When I hook up the camper is squats almost 3 1/2 inches. The ride is pretty good but the wife won't ride with me because she says it to bumpy. I put the air lift 1000 on this after noon and it squats just a little over a inch. I have yet to pull the camper (that comes tomorrow). With out a load the truck sits right at 38 inches. With out the air lift and camper attached its about 34 3/4. The air lift has raised the truck up unloaded to about 38 3/4. Loaded and camper attached I'm about 37 1/2. So far pretty impressed. We will see tomorrow when we leave for vacation.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if a bumpy ride is an issue it'll be a little worse with the air lift. unloaded can also be rough unless you air down the bags to 5-10psi. they sure do help with the squat tho and i really don't care if i have a bumpy ride or not

Bfazona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The air bags won't help with smoothing out the ride and just really help with squat while towing. That was my experience anyhow.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
The air bags won't help with smoothing out the ride and just really help with squat while towing. That was my experience anyhow.

+1. This is my experience as well.

OP
OP
rcarbaugh

rcarbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well we are back from vacation. It made a big difference in the squat. As for the ride it seemed to smooth out the ride a little bit. My mpg sucks. Averaged about 7.5 mpg. That cruising at about 70 (I checked the tires and the tire shop that put them on and they are not rated for a max of 65). I know for a while it didn't like coming out of 4th gear. What's up with that. Just a stupid question. Do I have to use tow haul on flat land?

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I use Tow/Haul for all heavy loads. I'm not 100% sure but, someone will correct me. I believe it changes your shift points on the transmission. Holds it in each gear just a bit longer to keep the rpms up. That's my interpretation.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always feel a little safer towing in tow/haul what I do is put it in tow haul mode every time i tow anything heavy but could op tell me what else they experienced in difference between towing with the airlift 1000 vs before installing them besides just avoiding squat

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
always, always tow with tow/haul on

with the 65rfe or 545rfe (5 and 6 speed transmissions) the overdrive gear is not meant to have extra weight on it and can grenade basically the entire transmission

with the 8HP70 (8 speed) it will constantly hunt for gears if you don't use tow/haul even though you may not feel it and burn out the clutches

use tow/haul with a trailer or a heavy load of any kind. yes it holds the gears and gives under par fuel economy but it keeps the truck in working order

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I always feel a little safer towing in tow/haul what I do is put it in tow haul mode every time i tow anything heavy but could op tell me what else they experienced in difference between towing with the airlift 1000 vs before installing them besides just avoiding squat

All the Airlift bags do is help eliminate squat and firm up the rear coils which helps keep it from bouncing as much with a heavy load.