Am I crazy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madcowranch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So as some of you know, I bought a '14 Lone Star CC 4X4 5.7 a couple weeks ago. I love the truck, BUT I've been thinking how much better it'd be with heated leather seats, projector headlights, keyless start, subwoofer, more attractive center console, etc. So, basically, a Laramie.:crazy:

I was at my local dealer yesterday and saw they have one equipped just like I want plus nav. Sticker is $4400 more than msrp on my Lone Star. I didn't even talk to a salesman there because I was worried about what I might do. Ha!

Guessing I would take one helluva hit on my truck with 500 miles on it. So after sleeping on it, my question to you guys... Should I do it and what would be a reasonable trade difference?

One more observation: It looks like a Laramie comes standard with a 3.21 rear and my Lone Star came standard with a 3.55 rear end. What gives? Would I even notice the difference? I I don't plan on towing much.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I'll summarize all the responses here:

"Idiot! You'll take a huge hit and never recover the value to make this a good deal!"

"Fool! You should have just gotten the one you wanted in the first place."

"Go for it. It's only money, and if you're comfortable with it, enjoy."

"You can just save up and buy the extra goodies you wanted."

"Don't ask us; it's your choice after all."

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yep, you are crazy...
But if you do decide to trade in your Lone Star where would the nice low mileage used truck be located if someone wanted to find it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Madcowranch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol. I know. I'm a *******.

I'll let you know if I do it, George.

InspectGWS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 JEEP GC SRT8
Engine
6.4L HEMI
lol. I know. I'm a *******.

It's only money - you will make more money.

Have you considered keeping your current RAM for now and ordering precisely what you want...you are already going to take a hit, you may as well wait 9 more weeks for the build - this also gives you nine weeks to beat on your current RAM.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would pass, you will be bent over on the trade in. You could always go in and see how bad it is, just have a number you're prepared to lose in your head before you walk in, for example $3500.

Lots of what you want out of the Laramie you can add to your loan star, won't be oem but it's in the right direction.

I added Clazzio leather covers and heated seat kit for $600.
Autostart 2 way system for $525
Recon projector headlights with 6k hid kit for $350
JJ sells the new projector lights with harness now!

Just throwing it out there, these won't be eom parts but you might be able to get your truck the way you want it for $1500ish

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
your post makes me feel a lot better for springing for my sport over the big horn I drove lol. thanks for that.

in all seriousness, I have no regrets going for the more expensive truck, because I use my power fold mirrors and park sensors almost every time I park, love having leather, and use the cooled seats whenever its warm out.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would pass, you will be bent over on the trade in. You could always go in and see how bad it is, just have a number you're prepared to lose in your head before you walk in, for example $3500.

Lots of what you want out of the Laramie you can add to your loan star, won't be oem but it's in the right direction.

I added Clazzio leather covers and heated seat kit for $600.
Autostart 2 way system for $525
Recon projector headlights with 6k hid kit for $350
JJ sells the new projector lights with harness now!

Just throwing it out there, these won't be eom parts but you might be able to get your truck the way you want it for $1500ish

with those seat covers do you put them over the factory covers or remove the factory covers?

OP you can do a basic remote start that uses the existing key fob for about $100

sport654

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could easily add all those to your existing truck for MUCH less than trying to negotiate a trade. Dealer would love it though...

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mistake #1 , financing a depreciating liability.

Post #2 gives all possible answers. :cheers:

Blue Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 POWER WAGON & 1979 W150
Engine
6.4L HEMI & 440 Wedge
Makes me glad that I ordered EXACTLY what I want! It will be worth the wait!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
with those seat covers do you put them over the factory covers or remove the factory covers?

OP you can do a basic remote start that uses the existing key fob for about $100

For 2014 it is around $200 now.

OP
OP
M

Madcowranch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well. That was a waste of time. Wanted $11.3 to trade. Really the only things I like about the Laramie are the keyless go, projector heads, and heated/ cooled leather seats. I can do heated leather for $1200 and projectors for $650 and I think I'll be happy. I can live without keyless go.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well. That was a waste of time. Wanted $11.3 to trade. Really the only things I like about the Laramie are the keyless go, projector heads, and heated/ cooled leather seats. I can do heated leather for $1200 and projectors for $650 and I think I'll be happy. I can live without keyless go.

Dude....I'd totally trade for $11.30 heck even my wife says go for it and she is not the type to.....wait what $11 thousand??!!? With 3 zeros?

Um....NO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2006RAMHEMI1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Can you please give me a little more info on adding remote start for 100$?

Alixcoop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello my friend, I sell cars/trucks and work with auto loans everyday. I've seen your situation before, I'm not sure where you are, therein no idea your trade value etc.
But here's a thought for you. If you owe on your current loan in principle (not including interest, because if you're in Canada you do not need to pay interest for the time you do not carry the loan) what the truck is worth.. that would make that truck a wash, dealerships will never give proper trade values, even if they do, numbers are skewed and don't trust it! If your credit and finances could swing it, my best advice would be to sell your current truck privately, pay out that loan and start over fresh,
Even if you do trade your truck in (which I warn you to be very cautious of, especially in your situation) put a down payment to shrink total amount financed if possible and take your longest term. Drive the truck you love! As long as you know you can afford it. Another thought, again, dependant where you are, if Canada, there is a 9500$ rebate at ANY time you can take in cash, use against negative equity or off the price of the new truck. In addition, there is a $1500 trade allowance rebate.. Thus gives you $11,000 play room. Somehow, in my opinion what you want to do, is doable. Tell the dealership if you can do this this this, I'll do it. Set some realistic parameters for yourself to work within, I'm sure the dealership would accommodate.
Ps, if you can, I appreciate not everybody is in a position too, but put additional money on your truck every chance you get, whether $50 additional a month or $500 additional a month. It shrinks your interest, term, and obviously equity. Be smart! Go for gold!

Alixcoop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those rebates are on brand new half tonnes only. The same cannot be said for 2500 & 3500's ***

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Trade it in and get what you want if you can afford it.