Why should I stay with RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
We are planning to trade in our Class-C motorhome for a travel trailer. While my 1500 technically has the capability of handling a 10k trailer, I do not want to be running near the limit for thousands of miles so I will be going to a 3/4 ton. I was just going to go with a new Ram because I've been so happy with my last 2. But the TT salesman mentioned something about Ford having a PowerBoost on their F150s and maybe adding to their F250s. This in conjunction with the fact that we are looking at Airstream and they don't have on-board generators, and the PowerBoost becomes either a 2.2 or 7.4kw generator. Turns out that option is not available on the F250 yet, and maybe never.

Anyways, it got me looking at Ford (and GM) to compare. What I found is that for a mid-upper range model (Laramie vs Platinum), for the same money you get a lot more in the Ford.

Most important to me are the engine* (7.3L, 430hp/485lb-ft) and a 2kw Pro Power outlet. Plus lots of minor things, such as a built-in scale, power tailgate (with a "tailgate down" camera), power running boards (appear to be not available on the Laramie even in a package), head-up display, wireless carplay, and the list goes on. Also, towing capacity is 1800# higher and payload is up 750# over Ram.

I drove an XLT the other day to get a feel for the truck and powertrain itself and was suitably impressed. Waiting to get to a Platinum - there aren't many around here in the sticks.

Am I missing something(s)?

*Same as we have in our motorhome and it is impressive.

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Judging by your post, seems like you’ve already made up your mind. So why bother talking you off a cliff? Hope your decision suits you well. Get what you like. Period.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If i didn't like rams so much, my next option would be a Ford, even tho i retired from GM and can get that supposed "employee discount', I haven't owned a GM car in many years. I'm not happy with GM's quality.

Also, I just read that GM's Onstar tracks your driving habits and shares that information with several research groups including insurance companies. GM claims a driver can "opt out" but i'm not sure how. It's bad enough everyone watches what we do, now i have to worry about my car/truck too?

Ram trucks could probably out sell many others, but they're priced insanely high.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Judging by your post, seems like you’ve already made up your mind.
No, I have "armchair QB'd a possible play". I came here for a reality check.
Long drives, Ram will be more comfortable.
This is the kind of info I am looking for - thanks!
OP, just beware, FORD is having reliability issues with their new 10 speed tranny, just FYI.
Again, this is the real world info I am looking for. Thanks.

What I was really hoping for was someone that came FROM Ford TO Ram and hear their reasons.

Taking all responses with a dose or two of Himalayan pink salt of course.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just carried a 3500 watt WEN generator in the truck bed. Electric start, super quiet, worked like a champ, and it's for sale...
That IS a consideration. But it's just one more Thing to maintain. If I went that route I'd probably go dual/tri-fuel so I could plug into the RV propane tanks.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, I have "armchair QB'd a possible play". I came here for a reality check.

This is the kind of info I am looking for - thanks!

Again, this is the real world info I am looking for. Thanks.

What I was really hoping for was someone that came FROM Ford TO Ram and hear their reasons.

Taking all responses with a dose or two of Himalayan pink salt of course.

OP: Just gonna put the info there for your perusal or say nah. At least I did try and supply you some info.

ADDED: I was ready to get into a 2024 with the 5.0 Coyote but the above stuff stopped me in my tracks. I wanted a New RAM, but since the Hemi going awayand I do not want E junkola guess stay where I am. All above IMHO.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
OP, just beware, FORD is having reliability issues with their new 10 speed tranny, just FYI.
Yessir they are both the 10 speeds in the light duties AND their HDs. That is straight from the Ford rep that handled our Expedition case when our 10 speed puked its guts out twice under warranty.

It took 3 iterations of redesign while our Expedition sat on a lift for 6 months to even supply parts that physically fit into the transmission. Once they got it back together, it made it exactly 88 miles and puked it's guts again. It had 80k miles on it. Something to say when a Ford rep tells you to sell it and stay away from the brand until they work the kinks out of this thing.

It's a shared design with the GM 10 speed as well. There are some failures on those too, but I don't think it's as prevalent. 15 years ago we were Ford only and you would've never caught me with a Chrysler product in my yard. I never thought there'd be a day where Ram is the only truck I'd drive because it's the only one that's been reliable, but here we are. I haven't regretted a second of it.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doesn’t Chevrolet and GMC use the same 10 speed automatic transmission that Ford uses? One of those joint R&D ventures. I could be wrong but I did eat Himalayan pink salt today.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Doesn’t Chevrolet and GMC use the same 10 speed automatic transmission that Ford uses? One of those joint R&D ventures. I could be wrong but I did eat Himalayan pink salt today.

It's not 100% identical, but yes it was a co-design with Ford and is very similar.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not 100% identical, but yes it was a co-design with Ford and is very similar.
Thank you for that information. If I wasn’t so lazy I would have read your entire previous post covering what I asked. I’ve seen some information out there about GM ten speed problems. The 8 speed in the Ram is one of its strong points for any truck buyer to consider.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I think they are all close enough in quality, options, abilities, and durability that it really comes down to personal preference and style. Ram simply makes the best looking trucks on the road, and it's not even close.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If i didn't like rams so much, my next option would be a Ford, even tho i retired from GM and can get that supposed "employee discount', I haven't owned a GM car in many years. I'm not happy with GM's quality.

Also, I just read that GM's Onstar tracks your driving habits and shares that information with several research groups including insurance companies. GM claims a driver can "opt out" but i'm not sure how. It's bad enough everyone watches what we do, now i have to worry about my car/truck too?

Ram trucks could probably out sell many others, but they're priced insanely high.
I'm also a GM retiree and over the years, I watched as the GMS (employee price) dwindled, the last GM I bought was a 2005 Pontiac GTO, I think the GMS price gave me an earth-shattering $600 off MSRP. If I had to buy a new truck today, I think I would go with GM, I've had all the grief with Ford I need and I'm cured. I must admit, my wife bought a new 2024 Bronco and so far (two months) it has been free of any issues. It has the 10-speed tranny in it but a 10-speed tranny for a 4,000-pound vehicle is ridiculous.

To the OP - You are comparing RAM's Laramie to Ford's Platinum trims. That isn't a fair comparison, the Platinum trim is Ford's top-of-the-line whereas the Laramie is the entry-level into RAM's higher trim packages. It is a balancing act for sure but finding out what options you can live without versus the cost of each vehicle is important to understand. This is likely why the Benjamin Franklin list, the well-known decision-making process lives on.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It really depends on how you intend to use it I think.

At the surface level:

Ford seems to be on the bandwagon of adding all the technological widgets that they think people want (like Powerboost and power steps, which we had issues with). All of that comes at the cost of more complexity and cost to repair. Their payload is higher because they use aluminum bodies. That comes at the cost of more expensive repairs and less body durability.

GM seems to want to focus more on "luxury" and simplicity with their interiors, but quite frankly I've personally always found their interiors lackluster and unable to withstand a lot of use. Never really found their seats comfortable on long trips either.

Ram seems like they've tried to find a balance between giving people a more comfortable ride while offering decent technology that check most of the boxes for a lot of people. But it comes at the cost of sacrificing payload.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm also a GM retiree and over the years, I watched as the GMS (employee price) dwindled, the last GM I bought was a 2005 Pontiac GTO, I think the GMS price gave me an earth-shattering $600 off MSRP. If I had to buy a new truck today, I think I would go with GM, I've had all the grief with Ford I need and I'm cured. I must admit, my wife bought a new 2024 Bronco and so far (two months) it has been free of any issues. It has the 10-speed tranny in it but a 10-speed tranny for a 4,000-pound vehicle is ridiculous.

To the OP - You are comparing RAM's Laramie to Ford's Platinum trims. That isn't a fair comparison, the Platinum trim is Ford's top-of-the-line whereas the Laramie is the entry-level into RAM's higher trim packages. It is a balancing act for sure but finding out what options you can live without versus the cost of each vehicle is important to understand. This is likely why the Benjamin Franklin list, the well-known decision-making process lives on.
Our Expedition was a Platinum. The only difference between it and the Limited (besides the cost) was a different tune, different grille, wheels, and massaging seats. The cost difference didn't = the additional features that is for sure.

A little different, but in the same vein, when we bought the Armada we were looking for an Infiniti QX80. We test drove it and the Armada Platinum and figured out that aside from aesthetics, the only real difference was air suspension over traditional coil spring. Both rode extremely well, but there were additional options available on the Platinum that were not on the QX80s. We bought the Platinum for about $15k less than the QX80.

Might be something for the OP to consider.