Both batteries dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CumminsTxBoy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
Hey guys got a quick question truck wouldn't start last it's a 2010 Dodge Ram 3500. I tried a couple times to start it and nothing so I took batteries out and took them to autozone and they tested them. Said that at the time they were 100% charged but said couldn't tell me how long they would stay, so that means it most likely has a dead cell in the batteries correct?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didn't they load test them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey guys got a quick question truck wouldn't start last it's a 2010 Dodge Ram 3500. I tried a couple times to start it and nothing so I took batteries out and took them to autozone and they tested them. Said that at the time they were 100% charged but said couldn't tell me how long they would stay, so that means it most likely has a dead cell in the batteries correct?

Not likely. What exactly happens when you try to start.

OP
OP
CumminsTxBoy89

CumminsTxBoy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
Didn't they load test them?

Yes they did and that's when she told me they were holding a charge but that's is. Note that all my cab lights and everything shine brightly

OP
OP
CumminsTxBoy89

CumminsTxBoy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
Not likely. What exactly happens when you try to start.
It makes a click noise and that's it my screen flashes and that's it

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Guys at Autozne don't know the difference between volts and amps.

A pair if batteries in your truck running 12.5 volts may appear to be good. But one of those batteries could not have the amperage to start the truck.

I would replace both batteries, and since you're at Autozone, use their Yellow/Gold top battery. Good battery.

These trucks act very weird with a low battery. I am confident if you've run those batteries for 3 years - it's time.

OP
OP
CumminsTxBoy89

CumminsTxBoy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
Guys at Autozne don't know the difference between volts and amps.

A pair if batteries in your truck running 12.5 volts may appear to be good. But one of those batteries could not have the amperage to start the truck.

I would replace both batteries, and since you're at Autozone, use their Yellow/Gold top battery. Good battery.
That's what I was thinking, is that a cell went bad or even the fact that it doesn't have the cold cranks amps anymore.

Cause there exact words to me was that they didn't know how long it would hold a charge which to me says it's possibly a dead cell batteries both are from 6/13 so it's about time for them to be changed anyway.

Hadn't had issues since I bought it and my wife had driven it earlier that day and said no issues with starting up or anything.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Testing voltage won't tell you squat! I'd take it to a different parts store and ask for the batteries to be load tested.

OP
OP
CumminsTxBoy89

CumminsTxBoy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
Testing voltage won't tell you squat! I'd take it to a different parts store and ask for the batteries to be load tested.

Okay sure will. I believe that's what they did cause it took about 2-3 minutes for both batteries to be tested

OP
OP
CumminsTxBoy89

CumminsTxBoy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
I greatly appreciate all the responses guys! I'm fairly confident it's batteries cause even in my old car I had at that 4yr mark it died on me gave me no signs or anything just one morning went to start it and nothing.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had a battery test ok on one of the new digital load tester, but when we hooked it up to the old school big box with dials it failed miserably

OP
OP
CumminsTxBoy89

CumminsTxBoy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
I've had a battery test ok on one of the new digital load tester, but when we hooked it up to the old school big box with dials it failed miserably

Yeah, well with all the information y'all have given me I feel reassured in the fact that my batteries are dead and are needing to be replaced

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, well with all the information y'all have given me I feel reassured in the fact that my batteries are dead and are needing to be replaced

Probably, but I'd lie to know for sure before shelling out the greenbacks just in case it was something simple like corroded terminals or some other issue.

OP
OP
CumminsTxBoy89

CumminsTxBoy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
Probably, but I'd lie to know for sure before shelling out the greenbacks just in case it was something simple like corroded terminals or some other issue.

Oh I'm not the one having to its the dealer I bought it from they gave me a 30 day warranty to where they have to fix anything on the truck. Already got a new tow mirror led light, about to have a new a/c module cause it's weak, going to have to turn my rotors, and now possibly 2 new batteries.

OP
OP
CumminsTxBoy89

CumminsTxBoy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
Well took them back again and had them load tested and there voltage is at 12.6 but they are both bad, just like you guys said it's either a cell down or the amperage is no longer there.