2013 4.7 dead?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheSavage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Corsair 4.7L
I have a 2013 4.7 ram with just under 170K on the odometer.

Engine has ticked on start for the past 6 or so years. Always went away when it got hot so i didn’t think much of it.

Recently, i took it on a drive. I noticed the ticking was a little louder but nothing to be concerned about. When i got back from said drive, the ticking was gone as per usual.

Started it up 7 hours later, after it cooled down again, and it’s so loud it’s almost a knock. This time it’s there at ALL times, even during flood mode cranking.

Thought it was drivers side lifters/rockers, so i took the valve cover off, removed all of them (they were all in good shape) and cranked it with all of them out. Ticking still there. Put them all back in, went in to see how the timing was doing. Tensioners are fine, guides are fine, everything appears to be fine. Ticking was still there.

Just got the passenger side valve cover off and it appears to be the same. Nothing wrong at all with the lifters/rockers, everything is OK. I have a video and ill post it later. I’ve gotten some help, but this seems to stump just about everyone.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like a broken exhaust manifold bolt. Usually a much more simple ordeal than lifters.

mutdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Hopefully it's not a valve seat beginning to migrate. I had an intake seat drop in my 4.7 and I'm working on the rebuild currently.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t think so unfortunately.

I have worked on a ton of 4.7s currently in the middle of building one aswell That sir is a rod and or piston skirt time to tear it down/rebuild or replace stop running it.

OP
OP
T

TheSavage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Corsair 4.7L
I have worked on a ton of 4.7s currently in the middle of building one aswell That sir is a rod and or piston skirt time to tear it down/rebuild or replace stop running it.
I know it’s not a rod. This happened after a heat cycle. It also does not improve at all when it gets warmed up.

OP
OP
T

TheSavage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Corsair 4.7L
If it is a skirt, would it still be hearable in flood mode?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know it’s not a rod. This happened after a heat cycle. It also does not improve at all when it gets warmed up.
A rod wouldnt improve when hot either way this is a internal bottom end issue nothing simple its most likely a rod bearing.

OP
OP
T

TheSavage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Corsair 4.7L
A rod wouldnt improve when hot either way this is an internal bottom end issue nothing simple its most likely a rod bearing.
I’m mainly wondering how it could be a rod bearing if it was just fine a few hours prior to the ticking you hear in the videos. I can get piston skirt, but not rod. I also hear nothing when using a mechanics stethoscope on the crank.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m mainly wondering how it could be a rod bearing if it was just fine a few hours prior to the ticking you hear in the videos. I can get piston skirt, but not rod. I also hear nothing when using a mechanics stethoscope on the crank.
Guess you will find out when the engine is torn down for sure can not be fixed without pulling it sometimes brearings just spin many things can cause it I had a 2011 ram once drove it to the store no issue came out fired it up and BAM.

OP
OP
T

TheSavage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Corsair 4.7L
Guess you will find out when the engine is torn down for sure can not be fixed without pulling it sometimes brearings just spin many things can cause it I had a 2011 ram once drove it to the store no issue came out fired it up and BAM.
Just dropped the pan.

No metal in the pan at all, some coolant from taking off the timing cover.

Looked up, everything looks OK with the pistons, and after moving them around a bit, the cylinder walls look good too.

I am at a loss.

OP
OP
T

TheSavage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Corsair 4.7L
Never mind, you were right. Oil was more metal than oil.

Probably going to 5.7 swap, don’t want to deal with another 4.7 failure in 160k.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never mind, you were right. Oil was more metal than oil.

Probably going to 5.7 swap, don’t want to deal with another 4.7 failure in 160k.
5.7 swaps dont usually end well its to much work you basically need a whole parts truck its not worth it just buy another truck if you want a 5.7. 4.7 engines are good engines they can run just as long as hemis with maintaince oil changes every 3k and a set of timing chains every 80-100k I have had plenty over 200k. What happens is most people do not maintain their engines and the 4.7 cant handle abuse like that they sludge up.

OP
OP
T

TheSavage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Corsair 4.7L
5.7 swaps dont usually end well its to much work you basically need a whole parts truck its not worth it just buy another truck if you want a 5.7. 4.7 engines are good engines they can run just as long as hemis with maintaince oil changes every 3k and a set of timing chains every 80-100k I have had plenty over 200k. What happens is most people do not maintain their engines and the 4.7 cant handle abuse like that they sludge up.
I’ve tried to take decent care of this one, it has gotten 5-6k oil changes with full synth its entire lifespan of 166K.

Pretty much no varnish either. I’m going to see tomorrow if it’s salvageable, i’m hoping it’s just a rod bearing.