buying a used ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ericjd23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,
I'm currently in the market for a used ram 1500 and I was wondering what if any advice you had for a first-time buyer. I've heard that I should stay away from any rams older than 2011 because of transmission issues....is there any truth to this? Any help is appreciated.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I've had two 04 Rams. One I bought new, the other was preowned. Didn't have any transmission issues in either one

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had a '99 and '07. Put a lot of miles on them. Never had a problem with the transmission in either of them.

A used Ram is a used vehicle and should be viewed from that perspective. As with any other used vehicle, they should be inspected.

Go to a dealer with the VIN in hand and have the service department run a service and repair history on the truck. Anything that was done at a dealer anywhere will show up on the report.

Drive the unit. Test the brakes, the accessories (heater, radio, A/C, etc...), check the lights, get a feel for how things work. Inspect for leaks from front to back. Give it a good look all around, up and down, front to back.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Mine is a 2011 with over 171,000 miles and nothing major to complain about. :)

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My beloved 05 Hemi quad cab code name "Big Red" (named for my favorite soda pop that for some reason can't be bought in Virginia) never had transmission issues. It did have this weird little electrical glitch when I first got it but only lasted a few months and never caused any harm. The only reason I traded it in is because I got a dead pedal one day in anything but park or neutral and the repair shop said they couldn't duplicate it the next day.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
bought my 2010 used and have 195k km on it never one single trans issue. Dont abuse the truck but i do like to romp on it here and there. I actually love this truck and trans..Im sure the 8 speed is sweet but its been so good to me with such minor issues. more or less maintenance stuff. Will probably drive it into the ground because with my luck i wont get as many trouble free km out of a new one.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
All good advice so far, Also look at the frame. If it is from the snow belt there may be rust issues,, Get a Car Fax on it, it will list past owner/owners and some what of service history. If you have a mechanic you can trust have him inspect the Truck. I just got my 2015 Quad cab and it is my first RAM so no help on transmissions info.. Also google the year/model of the truck you are looking at, several places you can get great info pros and cons ..

OP
OP
E

ericjd23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys for the very helpful info!

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Hey guys,
I'm currently in the market for a used ram 1500 and I was wondering what if any advice you had for a first-time buyer. I've heard that I should stay away from any rams older than 2011 because of transmission issues....is there any truth to this? Any help is appreciated.

Not sure how new you want to go but 2014 and newer make finding an 8-speed much easier (check for the rotary shifter on the dash) and the earlier Hemi's ( pre 14) need plug changes in the 30,000 mile range (16 plugs).

FYI

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990