Buying used truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whelen fan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not sure
Engine
Not sure
Hi all,
I’m looking to buy a 2012-2014 truck this summer. Looking at a F150, Ram 1500, and Chevy 1500. Maybe also a Tacoma. I want 4x4 on all these trucks and 4 doors. Yes, the Tacoma is smaller but would be fine for pulling my quad, boat, snowmachines etc. and would work fine for my grandchild and I to go hunting and fishing so I’m not too worried about it being smaller.
My question is, of the 4 trucks listed, what do you have to say about maintenance costs and reliability. If I keep this truck for 10 years (that’s the plan) which one will be most reliable? Which one will be most cost effective to keep running smoothly? Do any of them have silly designs that require you to rip apart a bunch of stuff to change a lightbulb?
Thanks

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I would stay away from chevy. the gearing sucks and they have to rev to the moon to go anywhere (just my experience test driving) Plus they never get that great of gas mileage and use oil.

The F150 is a great truck BUT get one with the 5.0. Just make sure it has 3.55 or 3.73 gears if you will be towing. The ecoboost is a great idea but I wouldn't get one until this second gen one with a 10 speed tranny comes out. It has too many problems.

The Ram is obviously my first choice because I own one lol. It has never cost me a lot in maintenance and I'm far from stock. Get it with 3.92's though I hate my 3.55's. To change a headlight bulb you have to remove the grill to get the headlight out. not too bad it's only like 4 or 5 bolts

The tacoma is a fantastic truck all around. Probably the most reliable out of all of them. I had a 1st gen tacoma before this truck and there was nothing I could do to break it and believe me I tried to. This would be the best option for hunting because all of the other trucks are heavy as hell and will sink in any mud.

Last edited:

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If you buy a Ram, get a 14 or newer. No 30K mile sparkplug changes, 8-speed ZF trans and much better gas mileage. They can be found at good prices used and be sure to drive it before you buy. I found I needed the power adjustable drivers seat to get comfortable but with it, the truck is a joy to drive 10-12 hrs at a crack.

Reliability is questionable when buying any used vehicle and if one looks at reliability from the best to worst in the last few years there's not a ton of difference.

That said, my last 3 vehicles were used but I bought them with less than 15K miles on them and have had great luck but I look at the Carfax, drive them over 100 miles on all kinds of roads and test everything I can get my hands on prior to purchased.

It's not an exact science but they generally have warranties and extended plans are available at extra cost. There a lemons lurking in every brand.

I buy the one that feels good to drive and performs the way I like. I won't drive an uncomfortable under performing vehicle just because some organization says it slightly better as they are all pretty good.

FYI, I'm not a Ram guy my last two were GM.

JMHO, Bob

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Most important part for picking a Ram from what you stated is getting one without auto 4wd. They changed them around 2012-2013 and the auto 4wd will not be good for hunting and mud. The 8 speed is nice if you want the best power management. I have an old truck but the 5/6 speed has been really reliable for me just not as great on the low end like the 8 speed.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I didn't have to tow my camper I would have gone with a Tundra or Tacoma, I have a very dependable 2004 Tacoma my son still drives and I was not gentle with it. That said, I love my RAM. GM.. RUN.. don't walk AWAY. Owned a 2014 Silverado for about 5 months and HATED it. They did a horrible job engineering the advanced fuel management / transmission timing. Ram dealer showed me all the 2014 and up GM trucks he had on the lot, said he couldn't give them away. Ford, solid trucks.

OP
OP
W

whelen fan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not sure
Engine
Not sure
Thanks fellas. I appreciate the honesty in your posts, especially naming the ford as a good truck and the tacoma also. I'm not familiar with 4wd auto. Is that some gimicky thing like some quads have where it detects wheel spin and then turns 4wd on? I'm not a fan of this if that's what it is. On my grizzly I switch 4wd high, low or diff lock. I'd like a switch in a truck for 2wd, 4wd high and 4wd low.

Thank you for the insight on 30k sparkplugs for example. That's what I'm looking for as some years will have these crazy maintenance requirements and others do not.

As this point I'm leaning towards a 5.0 ford, hemi or Tacoma.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Ford get the 5.0 stay away from the evoboost. Ram the best option is a 14 plus with the 8 speed. 13 was first year for it. Can't speak for Toyota the GM can't speak for the new stuff but that 5.3l is a soild engine and the trans is soild for there 6speed there 8 speed I know had a lot of bugs. I'm not sure how there new direct injection stuff is working out or little items and newer electeonics. But here on ram forum your gona hear about the ram is awesome because we all bought one.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't let the 4 wheel drive Auto be a deterrent. There's a handful of people that have issues with it but then there's thousands more were it works just fine.

The transfer case they use in the four wheel drive Auto is clutch driven.

As far as the ram goes, like the other side, 14 and up , 8 speed transmission , and you'll have a relatively low maintenance schedule and a truck that is just as much fun to drive years down the road as it was when he first bought it.

Also comma if you find one with under 48000 miles, you could look into the maxcare lifetime warranty. It's backed by Chrysler

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I've had auto 4-wheel in my GM and Rams since 2000. Unless you are into heavy off-roading there is nothing wrong with them. In fact, it's great in the winter or rain when the roads are slippery. Just put it in 4 Auto and drive. The computer will handle wheel slip and no worries about issues of running an older style 4X4 on dry pavement.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram with 8 speed or a Tacoma. I too had the first gen Taco (2 of them) and they are SOLID. Having said that, the newer Tacomas ain't cheap, very close in price to full size trucks, especially if looking at used.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had auto 4-wheel in my GM and Rams since 2000. Unless you are into heavy off-roading there is nothing wrong with them. In fact, it's great in the winter or rain when the roads are slippery. Just put it in 4 Auto and drive. The computer will handle wheel slip and no worries about issues of running an older style 4X4 on dry pavement.

Gms version of the auto is much better than Rams 13+. I would really look at a taco. They are very good trucks, and they hold their value very very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Gms version of the auto is much better than Rams 13+. I would really look at a taco. They are very good trucks, and they hold their value very very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience with Michigan winters says it's hard to tell the difference between GM and Ram Auto 4-wheel performance without a scorecard.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'll echo the "stay away from GM" comments. I held on to my '14 Silverado for a full year before taking the hit.

I've never had a 5/6 speed Ram, but one of my employees did. While he didn't have any real "problems" with it, it was finicky. He recently traded it for a '16 8sp. Love my '15 8sp Hemi.

Honestly though, if a Tacoma fulfills all your needs, and you are looking to maximize value, that is probably your answer.

However, there ain't nothing like a V8.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Oh, and regarding 4WD Auto, at least on my 2015 there is 2WD, 4WD Auto, and 4WD Lock (plus 4WD Low).

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I looked into buying a new Silverado before I looked at Ram's. I wasn't super impressed with the Chevy, not that it was bad. I just didn't get that feeling of excitement you get when you really want a vehicle. I got that feeling with the Ram though. Decided on a lightly used Ram to save money. So far the truck has been awesome and I love it. One of the best vehicle's I have owned. Having said that, I have owned multiple GM products (new and used) and never had any reliability issues. No experience with Ford.

OP
OP
W

whelen fan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not sure
Engine
Not sure
Regarding the auto awd, I go ice fishing on the lake and when I do I go slow and want all 4 wheels to turn, period. Does the ram have this option?

OP
OP
W

whelen fan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not sure
Engine
Not sure
Also, is waiting till the fall when the 2017 f150s come out to snag a 2015 f150 with the aluminum body worth it and how would you rate the 2015 f150 against the 2014 ram with the 8 speed and hemi?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
O.P. have you ever had a small truck? ranger, taco and the like? this is just my opinion but....if you are single and dont need to tow/haul a lot they are great. anything else and there are just to many situations were there isn't enough room. i LOVED my 4 door ford range EDGE but it just couldn't hack it once i acquired a wife, son, and dog. it was uncomfortably packed to the brim way to many times even before i had my son. it had to go and it heavily broke my heart when it left with 80,000 miles on it.. my point, think very hard befor buying a "small truck"

and the 4x4 auto thing. IMO its great for normal road use, any brands version, but I personally dont like anything auto that has to do with the drive line. id get my truck in a stick shift if i found one.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
forgot about your reliability question.

cant go wrong with any of them. they all have their reliability downfalls.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Regarding the auto awd, I go ice fishing on the lake and when I do I go slow and want all 4 wheels to turn, period. Does the ram have this option?
Yes, both 4wd transfer case options work.

The auto transfer case has 4auto, 4hi, and 4lo options.

The 4 auto is clutch driven and engages once it detects slip. It is very fast to detect and engage. There are a few people who have this case that have some issues with theirs, but the majority dont. There is a massive thread on here somewhere about that.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk