Factory battery went bad at 32k miles... dealer zero help... anyone else??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
okay... so this weekend i took a trip up north for 3 days in which my truck sat and i got in and out of it quite a bit taking out camping stuff and repacking it. i went to leave and the truck wouldnt start... everything had power and the truck tried to turn over. It would crank one time maybe 2 times and then there would be nothing.
I used my friends jump pack and it started right up without even having to wait.
Drove home and everything was fine (it was a 6 hour drive though).
so fast forward 5 days to this morning. i go to work last night work my 12 hour shift and go to leave and again truck wont start. same exact thing everything has power but wont crank beyond one time.
Used my co-workers car and it needed to charge for about 5 minutes but it started up fine. no issues.

Go to the local autozone (who by the way are a bunch of idiot and slow pokes). Guy runs the test with truck on says alternator is charging fine. Turn truck off and sure enough battery is bad. I tried starting truck again out of curiousity and it was dead again same thing as last 2 times...

So i call my local dealer and they are like its covered by 3 years/36k mile warranty. HOWEVER, you have to bring it to us and we will run it through a test and it has to fail our test and then we charge it again and it has to fail it again...?? said it takes about 5 hours. Im like well i have to work tonight so can i drop it off, get a loaner car and then come get it tonight before work? He's like um chrysler doesnt do loaner cars. I told him ive gotten a loaner numerous times from my other chrysler dealer. He again said no one does loaners... its $35 for a rental through enterprise. I said okay then. Hes like oh and i wont be able to get you in till tuesday anyways... im like are you serious?

So i just buy an autozone battery, install it myself (which the guys took 5 minutes arguing about who was going to install it... even though i kept telling them i would do it... eventually i said listen i have my own tools just give me the battery and they are like what? really?)... truck starts right up no issues. Im about to go to sleep and will see what happens tonight when I try to go to work...

so has anyone else had their factory battery die? Anyone send their battery through their 5 hour test?

Also, i have some truck service scheduled monday anyways and im going to take them the battery and said here you go run the test and let me know what it says...

bigdave2212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Mileage really doesn't matter, the average life span of a battery is 5years. That sucks either way and for them to bs, there is no reason for a 5hr test u less they are gonna do a charge on it and then test it?! I hate dealers.......good luck though pal

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mileage really doesn't matter, the average life span of a battery is 5years. That sucks either way and for them to bs, there is no reason for a 5hr test u less they are gonna do a charge on it and then test it?! I hate dealers.......good luck though pal

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

testing the batteries to make sure they hold a charge is common practice, even at parts stores. otherwise they would just be handing out new batteries for no reason. and yes, it can take around 5 hours. sometimes less, depends on how big the battery is. autozone should be able to do the same test if you want to find out if the battery is definitely bad before going to the dealer. though not likely on such a new vehicle, there is the possibility that you have something drawing power and killing the battery.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We had a machine that tested batteries when I worked at O Reilly's. Depending on how drained the battery was it couple take a few hours to test it. First it will have to try and charge it up before it would actually do any of the tests.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Schucks ...
one of our work trucks was struggling to start-
Got a volt meter out - checked voltage- had my guy start it... checked the draw while it cranked,
And checked how much it was charging while at idle.

While truck off ..10v and slowly dropping
While cranking... 7v
While idling ...14-15v

Conclusion - Junk battery,

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I work at O'Reilly's and the testing procedure the guy at the dealership mentions is a pretty standard deal with a battery warranty issue. It's the same procedure we follow for our warranty... just it doesn't usually take 5 hours... more like 1 or 2 hours if the battery is really low on the charge.

Also don't try to "test" your alternator by removing a battery cable... this was a reasonable test back in the early days of alternator vehicles but not today, here is why; First the surge that the alternator receives when the battery is unplugged is enough to damage or destroy the voltage regulator, and second the battery acts like a diode, this means that even if the diode pack in the alternator is damaged the battery will keep the current a DC current... remove the battery from the circuit and now the bad alternator which is creating AC current is feeding that AC current into electronics that were not designed for it... sensitive things like the PCM and BCM and ABS controllers can go pop that way. Oh and a fuse will not protect the components from AC current, a fuse doesn't care if the current is AC or DC so long as it isn't more than it's blow rating.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
so has anyone else had their factory battery die? Anyone send their battery through their 5 hour test?

Also, i have some truck service scheduled monday anyways and im going to take them the battery and said here you go run the test and let me know what it says...

I don't know how long the testing is, but my buddy is a Dodge mechanic. He's told me the specified machine the FCA requires the dealer to use for testing to warranty battery replacement has been wrong on many occasions.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Find a new dealer. You are within warranty, within reasonable time of a battery to have plenty of life. They should give you a loaner, and should replace the battery at no charge.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yes, after 2 years. And No, I am sure they would have rightfully blamed it on the sound system, so I just replaced it myself and probably got a better battery than they would have given me anyway.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sadly most batteries manufactured today are junk. They don't last. We own a Jeep Wrangler (2013) and there is a huge thread on the forum I belong to about being lucky if you get 3 years out of your OEM battery many have had theirs go in 2 or less but the bulk of them make it out of the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty so FCA is happy. The one in our Jeep lasted 3.5 years. Replace it with a better one and move on. IMO the time you save not having to **** around with the dealer and not having your ride pays for your new battery.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I work at O'Reilly's and the testing procedure the guy at the dealership mentions is a pretty standard deal with a battery warranty issue. It's the same procedure we follow for our warranty... just it doesn't usually take 5 hours... more like 1 or 2 hours if the battery is really low on the charge.

Also don't try to "test" your alternator by removing a battery cable... this was a reasonable test back in the early days of alternator vehicles but not today, here is why; First the surge that the alternator receives when the battery is unplugged is enough to damage or destroy the voltage regulator, and second the battery acts like a diode, this means that even if the diode pack in the alternator is damaged the battery will keep the current a DC current... remove the battery from the circuit and now the bad alternator which is creating AC current is feeding that AC current into electronics that were not designed for it... sensitive things like the PCM and BCM and ABS controllers can go pop that way. Oh and a fuse will not protect the components from AC current, a fuse doesn't care if the current is AC or DC so long as it isn't more than it's blow rating.

I must not have been clear... the test for the alternator was done at autozone with there test box/ cables. Nothing was disconnected from the battery.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Find a new dealer. You are within warranty, within reasonable time of a battery to have plenty of life. They should give you a loaner, and should replace the battery at no charge.

my trucks already scheduled for service monday and my girlfriend will be here to give me a ride and we plan to be out of town anyways... but yes i definitly will be looking for a dealer that provides loaners even if i have to drive a little farther. Just seems ridiculous that you wouldnt offer a customer a loaner especially when ive already got one for a different dealer numerous times.

I also can understand if that is their testing procedure as they dont want to just hand out batteries to everyone. But this trucks barely a year only for 1 and for 2 when he described it he just seemed like he was saying the procedure because had to but knew they were not going to give me a new battery. He just had a tone of yea we will test it but good luck.

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
okay... so this weekend i took a trip up north for 3 days in which my truck sat and i got in and out of it quite a bit taking out camping stuff and repacking it. i went to leave and the truck wouldnt start... everything had power and the truck tried to turn over. It would crank one time maybe 2 times and then there would be nothing.
I used my friends jump pack and it started right up without even having to wait.
Drove home and everything was fine (it was a 6 hour drive though).
so fast forward 5 days to this morning. i go to work last night work my 12 hour shift and go to leave and again truck wont start. same exact thing everything has power but wont crank beyond one time.
Used my co-workers car and it needed to charge for about 5 minutes but it started up fine. no issues.

Go to the local autozone (who by the way are a bunch of idiot and slow pokes). Guy runs the test with truck on says alternator is charging fine. Turn truck off and sure enough battery is bad. I tried starting truck again out of curiousity and it was dead again same thing as last 2 times...

So i call my local dealer and they are like its covered by 3 years/36k mile warranty. HOWEVER, you have to bring it to us and we will run it through a test and it has to fail our test and then we charge it again and it has to fail it again...?? said it takes about 5 hours. Im like well i have to work tonight so can i drop it off, get a loaner car and then come get it tonight before work? He's like um chrysler doesnt do loaner cars. I told him ive gotten a loaner numerous times from my other chrysler dealer. He again said no one does loaners... its $35 for a rental through enterprise. I said okay then. Hes like oh and i wont be able to get you in till tuesday anyways... im like are you serious?

So i just buy an autozone battery, install it myself (which the guys took 5 minutes arguing about who was going to install it... even though i kept telling them i would do it... eventually i said listen i have my own tools just give me the battery and they are like what? really?)... truck starts right up no issues. Im about to go to sleep and will see what happens tonight when I try to go to work...

My factory battery lasted one year. Like you I don't have time to mess with dealerships. Spent the $200 on a new battery and haven't looked back.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I sucked it up and dropped the $200 so that I could get home, get to sleep and stop talking to people lol.

But can anyone from RamCares who is watching or reading add anything about the loaner car issue? Is it not standard practice for them to do loaners? Or is it dealer to dealer? If not how do I find a dealer that does loaners?

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I must not have been clear... the test for the alternator was done at autozone with there test box/ cables. Nothing was disconnected from the battery.

I didn't mean to make you think that's how you or they tested it. I have worked for 3 different auto part stores (CSK Schucks, Advance, and O'reilly's) and I get people in all the time who tell me that they tested the alternator by unhooking the battery... I cringe every time I hear that. I was simply offering some advise to any reading this about what not to do with a modern vehicle. As for vehicles from the 60's... Hell have at it, those old relay type regulators could take some serious abuse, and the loads on the electrical system were not too hard on the diodes when dropping the battery causes a surge in the alternator.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't mean to make you think that's how you or they tested it. I have worked for 3 different auto part stores (CSK Schucks, Advance, and O'reilly's) and I get people in all the time who tell me that they tested the alternator by unhooking the battery... I cringe every time I hear that. I was simply offering some advise to any reading this about what not to do with a modern vehicle. As for vehicles from the 60's... Hell have at it, those old relay type regulators could take some serious abuse, and the loads on the electrical system were not too hard on the diodes when dropping the battery causes a surge in the alternator.

i feel you... thanks for the clarification :)

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wish RamCares would chime in on this
curious to what they say......

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Loaners are a dealer by dealer thing or you get one with a Ram extended warranty.

A battery dying in a couple years at 32K is a bit early but not unheard of. I'm at 57K and about 3.5 years and am planning to get a new one before the winter just so I don't have to screw with it.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine kicked the bucket at 35k miles. Drove to my church and 4 minutes later wouldnt start, barely enough to kick on the lights. Cell died inside. So next days and $200 later I have a new battery with a long warranty.