A few 'general" questions from a new owner...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I traded my old faithful '05 quad for a leftover 2016 Bighorn (5.7) a few weeks ago. The truck only has 480 miles on it, but I'm concerned (after reading 70+ pages of the synthetic oil thread) about the paper factory oil filter being in there since possibly 2015.

I'm thinking about changing it at 1000 miles, but my dealer has a "Quick Lube" deal they use for oil changes, not the Service dept., which doesn't thrill me.

If I change it myself, what do I need to do to "re-set" the monitor stuff? Is it just 3 pumps of the pedal with the key on, or is there more to the oil life monitor in the dash?

Also, I hauled my old toolbox down to my cabin with the tailgate down, and backing up with the tailgate down freaked out the sensor/alarm deal, is there a way to over-ride that when backing up with the tailgate down?

I know some of this stuff is probably in the owners manual, but hey, that's why we have the internet, eh?

Let me add, this forum is awesome, but it has cost me a TON of money ( I didn't know I needed a new truck 6 months ago.....), and I'm sure it'll cost me more, because now I guess I need a catch can, too.

Thanks.

Murph.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
For the back up sensor, there is a button on the dash(below the radio) that will turn the sensor off.
If you have the 7" multi-page EVIC, you can reset the oil through there. If not, the pedal routine works.

Bobbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always use the 3 steps on the pedal when I do mine. Didn't even find it in the manual, but my jeep is that way so I tried it.

MyRAMatDunkinDonuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I traded my old faithful '05 quad for a leftover 2016 Bighorn (5.7) a few weeks ago. The truck only has 480 miles on it, but I'm concerned (after reading 70+ pages of the synthetic oil thread) about the paper factory oil filter being in there since possibly 2015.

In my opinion, I wouldn't worry as long as it's all factory. Again, my opinion. I used to read oil threads until my vision got blurry, and my world never came apart sticking to factory items. :)

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For the back up sensor, there is a button on the dash(below the radio) that will turn the sensor off.
If you have the 7" multi-page EVIC, you can reset the oil through there. If not, the pedal routine works.

oil can be reset through the 3.5" evic as well. no need for the pedal routine anymore.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are just giving yourself undue stress worrying about the oil stuff... There is nothing wrong with "quick lube" departments at a dealer. They still do it all the same as in the service department and use OEM parts, it is just that they do strictly oil changes there to keep those quick jobs out of the service department which is dealing with bigger maintenance.

There is also absolutely zero reason to change your oil at 1,000 miles. That old-school thought just doesn't apply to newer vehicles these days. I know a lot of guys keep with tradition and do it anyway, but its just a waste of your time and money. Newer Rams only need to be serviced at 10k intervals. I work for a dealership group that has a CJDR store and can tell you that is a fact. It isn't some ploy from the manufacturer to try and trick buyers into wrecking their engine, which some people seem to believe for whatever reason... Follow factory service recommendations for the life of your vehicle and you will be just fine. Only time things might change is if you start making mods.

That all being said, to each their own! If it floats your boat to change it at 1,000 miles then go for it.

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would change the oil "too soon" because factory fill is conventional oil and you could upgrade to a high quality synthetic, which is better for many reasons. That's what I have done with all my vehicles. 7 qts of Mobil 1 is probably 40 bucks at Wally World and your truck is worth 40 grand. A no-brainer, for me.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Factory fill has been semi-synthetic for some time, which now days is all you need unless, perhaps, you are racing :)

Is that $40 mobil one full synthetic now days? I thought they went semi-synthetic years ago... but maybe that was something else.

Last edited:

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mobil 1 has always been full synthetic.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Is that $40 mobil one full synthetic now days? I thought they went semi-synthetic years ago... but maybe that was something else.

Not to turn this into another oil thread, but you may be thinking of back when Castrol ruined the word "synthetic" and most oil manufacturers started calling highly-refined regular oil by that term, including Mobil 1. If you keep an eye at Costco sales, every other month or so they have a sale on 5w-20 and 5w-30 Mobil 1. Usually around $27 (plus tax) for six quarts. Its on sale right now, actually.

That being said, most of the premium oils are so good anymore, I don't honestly think it matters too much. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum myself.

Last edited:

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think its a definition thing, There is synthetic and there is synthetic. Mobil 1 has changed to using group 3 base, where 100% synthetics use the more expensive group 4 base. To meet the European definition of full synthetic, it must start with group 4 base.

Just saying todays Mobil 1 is not the same synthetic as a decade ago, but still a pretty good oil.