questions on a few things due to codes thrown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

n2stox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
p0303
p1524

First post, new member here. First truck I have ever owned. Previous cars I have worked on for hours and hours include a 2000 Audi S4, highly tuned and modded. so, here are the issues with the truck:

bought the truck in 2021, had about 100K miles on it. No issues until recently, and having looked up the codes, it occurred to me: the plugs probably need to be changed. (truck now at 120k or so). I am used to working on cars, but am at the point where I am Ok with someone else changing plugs as my schedule is more time constrained. Question: this should be done anyway as part of general maintenance at this point, yes? As I have no idea when the plugs were last changed. And realizing it could be coilpacks or other issues, would this not be done anyway for maintenance?

Also, on the 1524, I got the oil changed at a generic Brake Check place. No idea what brand of oil or filter they use. I have read posts where a filter change can fix the pressure issue. Or a higher quality oil (Pennzoil Platinum?) Just wondering if that would be a proper next step.

I did take it to a repair place, and they suggested I get a new engine. I know it could be the lifter problem as well, in which case I would get that repaired, not buy a new engine (I think).

So, my last question, if there is anyone in the NW Houston area that knows of a decent mechanic to help with these issues, I'd love to be directed in that direction. Thanks for any help and advice. Let me know if I left something out.

Jeff

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Plugs are always the root cause of coil failure. Said plugs should have been replaced at no later than 100,000 miles; ideally, at 90K during that service.

As a professional, I CAN say that codes are often a symptom of something underlying conditions for the code. Look up the list of potential causes of a code, and you'll understand.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
p1524 is most likely an Off Brand Oil Filter causing the DTC

==============================

This is the most complete trouble shooting that i have ever seen to check out a misfire
You Ram is misfiring on #3, in the video, it is the #7,

Good luck with your trouble shooting

OP
OP
N

n2stox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for this information. The oil filter makes sense. on startup, it is about 52psi, then after warming up, hits 39 and stays there. Truck was diagnosed at the dealer (had no idea where to take it as I figured they have probably seen hundreds, if not more of these issues). Pulled up and their master tech said "cam and lifters...I can hear it.."

So $7900 is the all in estimate and they are replacing all the lifters and whatever for each cylinder. I don't have the time nor even close to the expertise to do anything above minor stuff on this rig, so I said OK to the repairs and cancelled Christmas for us.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for this information. The oil filter makes sense. on startup, it is about 52psi, then after warming up, hits 39 and stays there. Truck was diagnosed at the dealer (had no idea where to take it as I figured they have probably seen hundreds, if not more of these issues). Pulled up and their master tech said "cam and lifters...I can hear it.."

So $7900 is the all in estimate and they are replacing all the lifters and whatever for each cylinder. I don't have the time nor even close to the expertise to do anything above minor stuff on this rig, so I said OK to the repairs and cancelled Christmas for us.
Wow! That is a huge issue! I hope the best for you going forward!

OP
OP
N

n2stox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, they are replacing all of the rollers and lifters, figuring of one is bad now, another could go. I should have bought an extended warranty!!!!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
$7900.00 should cover the cost of a crate engine and most if not all the installation costs.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$7900 must be a stealersh!t quote... lol.. What a bunch of greasy *****.

Find yourself a performance shop that deals in HEMIS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357