Help Choosing the right truck EDvsHemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just remember 8k back of msrp all day. Everyone is different. you would prolly enjoy the Hemi more. If I went diesel it would be a 3/4 ton.

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
i liked the snap of the hemi, but i got the eco purely becuase i need to have a truck, and it needs to be driven every day. The fuel economy out of the eco is hands down my favorite thing about it. its not fast off the line, but it held 70-80km/h towing over 8000 lbs. i have no complaints other than the price of the oil change, (about $200cdn). the DEF i put $60 in the tank and it lasted me almost a year, thats a minimal cost IMO.

Kidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, eTorque
Get the Ecodiesel. For your needs, it's perfect.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have some reservations with a tank of def sitting for 1 year. But that's just me.

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
Test drove 3.6L with 3.21 & 3.55 rear & 5.7L with 3.21 rear all with RCSB configuration.
Converged on 5.7L for highway fuel economy over the 3.6L.
Drive ~ 35k miles/yr , about 90% highway, no hauling, no towing.
Even at that high mileage, would take ~8 years to recover extra cost of ED at current fuel $.
Believe the only reason to go with ED, is if the truck is used mainly for towing heavy loads like large boat/trailers or travel trailers on highway.
If the truck is used mainly for city, would opt for 3.6L with 3.55 rear ratio. Would not consider the 3.6L with 3.21, even though the 845 Trans is programmed to shift better with the 3.21 rear ratio.
Got the 5.7l RCSB two weeks ago and test drove 50 miles continuously on flat ground at 54 mph with cruise control engaged and averaged 32.3 mpg,based on onboard fuel economy calculator.
90% of the 50 miles, the 5.7L was firing on four cylinders in ECO mode, rather than 8 cylinders.

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I would have some reservations with a tank of def sitting for 1 year. But that's just me.

Found this on Google.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/additionalinfo/DEF%20Shelf%20Life%20and%20Fluid%20Quality.pdf

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For your particular usage, the Pentastar with 3.55 and anti-spin would suit you perfectly. It'd save you 4 grand upfront and in maintenance costs compared to the ED. The Pentastar would tow a single motorcycle trailer all day long.

OP
OP
J

jaxerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I dont think I would consider the 3.6. I'll try it, but it's either power or Ed. I was looking at the 15 Toyota 4Runner limited that only comes in a 4.0 v6. the thing doesn't move and still only gets 20mpg on hwy. It's does tow up to 7k and is roomy, but the Ed does out preform it, not sure about on hwy though. So it's either great mpg with the Eco, or power with he hemi. I just didn't know if the extra upfront will save in the end. I know gas is cheap now, but what about in 8yrs. And I do plan on keeping it.

Another issue I'm having is how to go about purchasing it. I plan on paying cash so buying a brand new one prob isn't the best idea. Don't these things depreciate like crazy in the first 2yrs? If I can get a sweet deal on a 15, which I am seeing a lot right now, I'll do it. Also the 15 hemi still has the 100k warranty that the 16 does not.

I can't seem to find the one I want anywhere close to me though. I fly for free and can buy it anywhere,but it's beginning to be a bit challenging finding one.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Bottom line:
Hemi and lots of nice speed, plus about $5k in your pocket
-OR-
EcoDiesel and lots of MPGs

Choose wisely. :)

Last edited: