Need help choosing suspension components and wheels/tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reklaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I apologize in advance for the noob questions.. I have a stock 2020 Ram 1500 Classic but I want the front to be level with the rear. At first, I thought about getting a leveling kit, but the more I read about those, the more I want to stay away from them. I think I will get some Bilstein 5100 shocks for the front to raise the front 2-3 inches.

I really just need to know what else I need to do to the suspension. Do I need new springs too? New shocks in the rear or keep stock? Do I need to get different control arms? I really just don't know what else I need..

I also want to get a bigger wheel/tire combo because the stock setup will look too small in my opinion with the front lift. I'm thinking 33 inch tires with 18 inch wheels but I'm not sure on what offset I need. I know I don't want the tire sticking out more than an inch from the body and I really don't want to worry about scrubbing issues.

Would love to hear anyone's input! Thanks!

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
The 5100's are great, and set the fronts to the 2.1" setting and you'll get a solid level.
I had this set up on my 19' Classic and now on my new Warlock Classic as well.

If you opt to go higher to the 2.8" setting, you'll then need to look into new upper control arms.

I recommend that you get the front and rear 5100's so you have a balanced suspension for better road handling and feel.

I run LT295/65R20's for my summer set up which are equivalent to 35's and have no issues.
I'm also using the stock springs in the front and rear. Perfect set up with a great feel.

OP
OP
R

reklaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 5100's are great, and set the fronts to the 2.1" setting and you'll get a solid level.
I had this set up on my 19' Classic and now on my new Warlock Classic as well.

If you opt to go higher to the 2.8" setting, you'll then need to look into new upper control arms.

I recommend that you get the front and rear 5100's so you have a balanced suspension for better road handling and feel.

I run LT295/65R20's for my summer set up which are equivalent to 35's and have no issues.
I'm also using the stock springs in the front and rear. Perfect set up with a great feel.
Thanks so much for the info, really helps me out. What size of rim do you have those tires on?

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Over 2.1" you need angle correcting upper control arms, otherwise you'll be fine. Rear shocks are not necessary but it will ride much better with them. If you have 20" wheels, 33" is the stock tire size. Are you going to do the work yourself or take it to a shop?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Thanks so much for the info, really helps me out. What size of rim do you have those tires on?
You're welcome.
On the stock 20's the Classic's come with.
The stock Classic's come with 20x8 rims whereas the stock Warlock's come with 20x9 rims.

If you're more highway then look at the Michelin Defender LTX in that size.
This is what I currently have for my summer set up, run the tires cold at 40psi front & rear, and it's a great ride.

I had BFG KO2's before, but I don't go off-road very often. Yes they look more aggressive, but they were just too much for highway usage.

Lots of nice tires to select from.
If you're sticking with the stock 20's, look at either the LT285/65R20 or LT295/65R20 sizing.

OP
OP
R

reklaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're welcome.
On the stock 20's the Classic's come with.
The stock Classic's come with 20x8 rims whereas the stock Warlock's come with 20x9 rims.

If you're more highway then look at the Michelin Defender LTX in that size.
This is what I currently have for my summer set up, run the tires cold at 40psi front & rear, and it's a great ride.

I had BFG KO2's before, but I don't go off-road very often. Yes they look more aggressive, but they were just too much for highway usage.

Lots of nice tires to select from.
If you're sticking with the stock 20's, look at either the LT285/65R20 or LT295/65R20 sizing.
Gotcha. My 2020 classic came with 17x7 rims stock, so I don't think I have many options for a taller tire because of how narrow the rim is. Or am I wrong?
I spend 95% of the time on the road, so I'd prefer an aggressive look that preforms well on the road.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotcha. My 2020 classic came with 17x7 rims stock, so I don't think I have many options for a taller tire because of how narrow the rim is. Or am I wrong?
I spend 95% of the time on the road, so I'd prefer an aggressive look that preforms well on the road.
For a 17" rim, look at either 285/70r17 or 285/75r17. 285/70 fits stock, and is about a 33x11", 285/75 is about a 34x11" and I don't personally know if it would clear stock, but definitely would be fine with a level. I would recommend going with the bigger option, I have 285/70 and regret not going up a size. But you really can't go wider then 11.5" on stock offset because of clearance to the upper control arm. As for tire brand, I would highly recommend falken wildpeaks.

OP
OP
R

reklaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For a 17" rim, look at either 285/70r17 or 285/75r17. 285/70 fits stock, and is about a 33x11", 285/75 is about a 34x11" and I don't personally know if it would clear stock, but definitely would be fine with a level. I would recommend going with the bigger option, I have 285/70 and regret not going up a size. But you really can't go wider then 11.5" on stock offset because of clearance to the upper control arm. As for tire brand, I would highly recommend falken wildpeaks.
Thanks a lot!
I would definitely let a shop handle it, I'm not up for that task lol.
When I look up 285/75 on mopar's website, it says min rim width is 7.5". You think I'd still be able to use that tire on a 7 inch wide rim?

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks a lot!
I would definitely let a shop handle it, I'm not up for that task lol.
When I look up 285/75 on mopar's website, it says min rim width is 7.5". You think I'd still be able to use that tire on a 7 inch wide rim?
The 285/70 says the same thing and I have them on my stock 17s no problem, shouldn’t be an issue.

This is with bils at 2.8” and about 2.5” of rear lift. Varies a lot depending what I put in the bed since I’m still on the very soft stock coils.

Attachments

• IMG_9815.jpeg
    IMG_9815.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
R

reklaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 285/70 says the same thing and I have them on my stock 17s no problem, shouldn’t be an issue.

This is with bils at 2.8” and about 2.5” of rear lift. Varies a lot depending what I put in the bed since I’m still on the very soft stock coils.
Awesome, I appreciate the help! And your truck looks great man!

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just my opinion but I'd leave some rake. If you completely level it, distance from ground or center of wheel to fender, front and back it will look a little nose high. Just the way the body is on these trucks. Add any weight in the bed or hookup a trailer and it will really look nose high. Your truck though so you do you.

Don't forget to re aim your headlights after.

And post before and after pics!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi we can help. To give you a proper recommendation, how do you use the truck? Do you off road at all and if you do what terrains and speeds? Do you tow/haul heavy and often? Do you just want to level it or do you want to enhance the performance and/or ride comfort?

Message me with info and we can discuss options and pricing.

OP
OP
R

reklaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi we can help. To give you a proper recommendation, how do you use the truck? Do you off road at all and if you do what terrains and speeds? Do you tow/haul heavy and often? Do you just want to level it or do you want to enhance the performance and/or ride comfort?

Message me with info and we can discuss options and pricing.
I very rarely take the truck off road, but when I do, it's just around a pond at low speeds. Could experience a little mud here and there, but not much. Also, I do not tow or haul heavy often at all. Maybe the occasional utility trailer but that's all.
Like White six four said, I do want to leave a little rake so that I'm not squatting in the rear if I decide to haul something. My main goal is to get it as close to level as I can and put larger tires on (possibly wheels if I need to) without sacrificing too much ride comfort/performance.
I'll shoot you a message, thanks a lot!!

OP
OP
R

reklaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just my opinion but I'd leave some rake. If you completely level it, distance from ground or center of wheel to fender, front and back it will look a little nose high. Just the way the body is on these trucks. Add any weight in the bed or hookup a trailer and it will really look nose high. Your truck though so you do you.

Don't forget to re aim your headlights after.

And post before and after pics!
That makes a lot of sense, I really don't want to look nose high. And yes I will definitely re-aim the headlights! I'll post pics as soon as I can! :)

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
+1 on the Bilsteins. If you can swing it get both front and rears. They offer a slightly firmer ride than stock but they also keep the truck firmly planted especially on curves where there are bumps or road imperfections, no more rear end hop. I’ve had mine set at 2.1 since 2019 without issue. At the 2.1 setting you will not need angle correcting UCAs. I run 34” AT tires with zero rubbing or binding.

OP
OP
R

reklaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
+1 on the Bilsteins. If you can swing it get both front and rears. They offer a slightly firmer ride than stock but they also keep the truck firmly planted especially on curves where there are bumps or road imperfections, no more rear end hop. I’ve had mine set at 2.1 since 2019 without issue. At the 2.1 setting you will not need angle correcting UCAs. I run 34” AT tires with zero rubbing or binding.
Man that convinced me to get the rears as well haha. The hopping really annoys me. Thanks a lot for the advice!

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I apologize in advance for the noob questions.. I have a stock 2020 Ram 1500 Classic but I want the front to be level with the rear. At first, I thought about getting a leveling kit, but the more I read about those, the more I want to stay away from them. I think I will get some Bilstein 5100 shocks for the front to raise the front 2-3 inches.

I really just need to know what else I need to do to the suspension. Do I need new springs too? New shocks in the rear or keep stock? Do I need to get different control arms? I really just don't know what else I need..

I also want to get a bigger wheel/tire combo because the stock setup will look too small in my opinion with the front lift. I'm thinking 33 inch tires with 18 inch wheels but I'm not sure on what offset I need. I know I don't want the tire sticking out more than an inch from the body and I really don't want to worry about scrubbing issues.

Would love to hear anyone's input! Thanks!
I got the 5100's all around with RC UCAs and wasn't satisfied with the ride. Called Bilstein, and despite selling them and seeing plenty of DIYs, they actually advised against 5100's on the front of our trucks.

Just moved to 6112's and JBA UCAs and ride is a dramatically more composed, I don't feel like the nose is floating over bumps at speed.

YMMV... 5100's will git'r'done but I tried that route to save some dough and ended up costing me more time and money to redo it a couple years later.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Either Bilstein 5100's or the Eibach Pro kit would be great options for you. I would recommend UCA's as well.

Message me if interested in a quote

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out Tiresize.com calculator
Some good info on there and you can compare tire sizes