Helping Friend pick Chevy or Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

that va guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I told a friend that I love my Ram, but would come up with some solid points to help him decide between a Ram 1500 and Silverado 1500.

Not sure what years specifically but in regards to the Ram, anything he needs to look out for when buying used? Any advantages over the Chevy? He wanted an unbiased opinion lol.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wrong place to look. It's a ram forum so you know there will be bias.

Personally, when looking used, check warranty status and get a mechanic to look at it. Look for oil leaks, and mods in the engine, and any service/car fax would help.

**Sent from the *********

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Pull up the tsb for both vehicles alongside what people have been reporting.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Ram

8 speed
more power
factory dual exhaust
8.4 screen
better back up camera IMHO
better package for the money

and the Silverado,

Under powered, big truck, 5.3 is outdated in power.
Need to MASH the skinny to get it going
sick 6 speed, outdated
seats unfomfortable
many issues

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
heres a couple things... im a HUGE chevy guy. But let me tell you why I didn't buy one.

1) Interior is overall not as good. Could be personal preference, both are nice in the top tier trucks but in general, dodge edges them out. Go click the dome light button in a 2014 Silverado. Its the flimsiest plastic pos ive ever encountered. seriously.

2) The ram rides better. Hands down. I don't care what anyone else says, its way smoother. This should just be a fact.

3) The brakes on the chevy feel like the old 98 trucks. You have to push the pedal in ALOT to get the truck to start stopping.

4) People talk a lot of crap about "dodge quality" but have you ever looked at a GM truck that's got a few years on it? Give me a break. GM quality is TERRIBLE.

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to a Ford dealer and asked their opinion on Ford/Chevy/Dodge. TBH, I don't remember his points on F/C, but for Dodge I remember him saying "Well, they are built with cheap parts, so things will start to break (interior trim and whatnot), but the engine and transmission are strong. So, as long as you want a truck to run forever, but don't care about things breaking on it, go with a Dodge."

salmonbum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I own a 2014 Silverado LTZ Crew and an 2015 Ram Outdoorsman Crew. The Chevy is a *************. Its always breaking, vibrates, lots of recalls, low on power, etc. The ram is turning out ot be a much better truck. The lease is up on chevy pretty soon and I wouldn't take another one if they paid me to. This is cominng from a guy that normally buys GM stuff.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Being a Chevy guy all my life I will say Chevy has gone way down hill after 06, Dodge on the other hand has done nothing but improve there product.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Count me as another GM guy that went to a ram. When I was looking at used trucks I test drove a few GMs around the year my ram ended up being and it was just typical chevy, nothing great. As soon as I test drove my ram I knew instantly that it was what I wanted for many of the reasons previously listed in this thread.

bigfoot2219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im a picky SOB, ive driven and owned loaded GMs and Fords. I hated my 2000 dodge Dakota quad cab but i can attest that nobody builds a better truck on the face of the planet than these 4th gen rams. Hands down the cream of the crop!

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Have you seen the new fords? They are pretty nice. Ecoboost f150 is like THE half ton truck IMO, but with that being said, I just don't like them. I cant get into it, even with twin turbos and the possibilities of all mods and such forth, it just doesn't do it for me.

It doesn't have as much personality as the other trucks. Its just kind of bleh.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 black Crew Cab Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO
I think the Ram 1500 looks a lot meaner than the Chevy. Its kind of comparing a bad boy to a kid that is a kumquat. LOL
Another comparison is.......
Ram 1500---- Rolling Stones---I Can't Get No Satisfaction,Paint It Black

Chevy---------Beatles---She Loves You, I want to hold your hand

Plus when I got my Ram dollar for dollar the Ram was a better value..

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I like the Sierra and wouldn't mind picking one up with the 8 speed and 6.2L but the RAM is just bad ass looking truck.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the RAM is just bad ass looking truck.

^^This.

Ram just says "get the _uck outta my way"

The other trucks are nice, but that's its.

Rams have that natural aggressive appeal to them, even the bone stock ones.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ram!! For the money, I think it is pretty hard to buy a better truck. I have a "lower" end model that has a back up camera and touch screen radio. I dont know of any other places that include stuff like that in a more base level truck. Also, as mentioned the Ram is just meaner looking. Every time I see my truck sitting next to a Chevy or Ford, mine just looks like a real truck.

I have only had my truck for a couple months, and am already planning my next Ram (4 door this time)

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After my '01 Silverado went up in flames due to faulty engineering, I would never touch another GM. And with their ignition switch death count still rising, I can't see how anyone would. Not to mention they have another recall on their SUVs and trucks - turns out that if you need to use the windshield wipers, the wiper motor catches fire. And they look like a fugly brick wall driving down the road...

John94z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As a life long GM owner, and someone who's company truck has always been a ford, and the owner of a 2015 Ram 1500 I would tell you to go with GM. My ram has left a sour taste in my mouth with issues that should not be present. Personally I like the Sierra better than the Silverado but they are basically the same truck.
This is probably the worst place to look for an opinion based comparison.
Look at the vehicle specs and raitings also. The ram is a dated design that is pretty much outclassed across the board. The Hemi is a powerful engine but if I were looking in terms of reliability the 5.3 is hard to beat. Also check out your service centers see if and how far their lead time is to get a vehicle in and fixed. Though not scientific, this can be used to roughly gauge general quality issues. Hindsight is 20/20 and if I could do it all over again I would have purchased a Sierra in my opinion that is the best all around truck on the market. Ram just makes a pretty truck and has the most trim levels. As for Ford, well they are the king of trucks. But I would be weary of the new design being Aluminum. I'm betting there will be some fatigue issues popping up sooner or later. But then again they really do their homework on the FSeries as its their bread and butter so only time will tell. I also expect insurance rates to rise in the f150 because of the cost to repair or replace aluminum vs steel.
Good luck man!

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ford,tell him to get a ford like i should have.I got an upscale $50,000 pos dodge ram sport that has a body that's rusting an engine that knocks,sunroof that sounds horrible,condensed fog light,non operating passenger side map light,body trim loose etc etc etc all on a brand new truck,it's without a doubt hands down the very worse vehicle i've ever owned.I will say it rides nice & the audio tech system works well + it has loads of storage & the interior looks great.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Bought a new 2014 Chevy 1500 and had it for about 5 months before I traded it off. Interior just had to many squeaks and rattles with the killer being a rattle in the dash that drove me nuts. Got the "it's normal" and that was that, never looked back.

John94z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Bought a new 2014 Chevy 1500 and had it for about 5 months before I traded it off. Interior just had to many squeaks and rattles with the killer being a rattle in the dash that drove me nuts. Got the "it's normal" and that was that, never looked back.
Lol you think dodge doesn't have that issue? I read 2014 had some issues. Sure they got most ironed out by now