Hemi vs pentastar ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello,

We will have a baby this fall. I tried a rear facing seat in my quad and it barely fit in the middle.

I asked my dealer, and they could change my truck for a crew for no fees but it got a v6.

I really love my hemi but the gas is super high here, and the gov ask now a big engine taxe, so my truck cost me near 600$ per year vs 233$ for a car with an engine below 4.0L

So I don't know what to do. I have a 5000 lb ( real loaded weight) travel trailer. But I can sell it ...

But the real question is there is a huge difference in mpg between a hemi 6 speed and a penta 8 speed ( 4x4 both )

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, there will be quite a big difference in terms of mileage. And the V6 can tow the trailer if you get the package that lets you tow about 7600lbs! Should be no problem.

thz71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like you got yourself a trade.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have and love the Hemi, but the Pentastar is a great engine too. Plenty of power and way better on gas. You will happy with it, especially when the price at the pumps goes back up..... you know it will.

OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I really like the power of the hemi. I got a sierra 4.8l with a 3.08 diff and it was really underpowered. I don't wan't to get this feeling again. A 1992 Toyota corolla was faster than my truck haha

I would concider the penta only if the mpg's are really better than my hemi ( i have an annual 17-18 mpg with my hemi) I'm doing mostly highway in summer. But in winter it's mostly city and it more 13 mpgs haha

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Have you thought about talking your dealer into a trade + cash for an EcoDiesel? If you're looking for mpg you will end up with better economy out of the ED vs the Pentastar. The ED does have lower hp but the torque number is what you want to look at, especially for a truck. The ED will also tow better than the V6 will with a much better fuel economy. I do realize there will be a premium paid for the ED, but it might be something to compare.

OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would love to have the eco diesel, but here, they asked 6k for the eco on the trim i want. 4k on higher trim but I can't afford them. Also I only do 15000 km per year . I want to keep the truck for 7-10 years, but even that long I will not break even.

Last edited:

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Drive it. It's not a bad motor when paired with the 8 speed but it's a noticable difference in MPG and performance. I think you would see more in savings on the highway MPG. Towing and city won't be much better.

I personally wouldn't be able to deal with the power difference but we are all different.

Maybe a Hemi CC a year or two older?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I drove the penta for about 10-20 km , It feel not bad, the power was far from my hemi, but it wasn't bad. But It wasn't enough to give me a good idea especially on the mpg.

But both of them was quad cab. I was wondering about the v6 in a crew cab 6'4" bed. It's maybe too much for the v6 ? especially with a 4x4 ?

But the main reason I want to change it's for the crew ( not at any cost I don't want a 10k debt on the swap) That's one of the reason I was looking for the penta. I know I don't need the hemi, even If I really love it haha.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello,

We will have a baby this fall. I tried a rear facing seat in my quad and it barely fit in the middle.

I asked my dealer, and they could change my truck for a crew for no fees but it got a v6.

I really love my hemi but the gas is super high here, and the gov ask now a big engine taxe, so my truck cost me near 600$ per year vs 233$ for a car with an engine below 4.0L

So I don't know what to do. I have a 5000 lb ( real loaded weight) travel trailer. But I can sell it ...

But the real question is there is a huge difference in mpg between a hemi 6 speed and a penta 8 speed ( 4x4 both )

What do you mean they can trade for no fees. A 14 qc for a 16 cc?

OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What do you mean they can trade for no fees. A 14 qc for a 16 cc?

A late cc 2015.

I know the owner of the dealership. He sold me my 2014 for 16 k lower than the build sheet ( for the price they paid for it ) and they will do the same with the new one and give me the price they will sell it for my truck.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Unless I am missing something, the MPG I have seen between the two do not make it worth going to the v6 just for the MPG. I have a RCSB v6 with an 8 speed and I only average 18-20 with mixed driving. The hemi is listed on Rams site as 15/22 and the V6 is listed at 16/23......

Power wise, it is plenty of power for my needs and can even break my tires (toyo at2) loose in the right conditions at 30-35 mph. I have pulled light trailers and have had no issues.

So for you, it really seems like the tax and the extra HP.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
A late cc 2015.

I know the owner of the dealership. He sold me my 2014 for 16 k lower than the build sheet ( for the price they paid for it ) and they will do the same with the new one and give me the price they will sell it for my truck.

Ok I hope you're reading all the paperwork. That makes no sense what so ever to me. Good luck, I.would get the hemi ,the option isn't that much more , since there giving you a deal.

OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok I hope you're reading all the paperwork. That makes no sense what so ever to me. Good luck, I.would get the hemi ,the option isn't that much more , since there giving you a deal.

It's an old friend of my father. He know me since I was a baby. He don't want to make any money on my back. That's why I got those deal. He done that for my 2014 and will do it again for the cc if go that way. But the only way that he can do that is to get a v6. That's why I asked. I could get the hemi for 3k + tx but I don't know if it Worth it since it cost more and mpg are worst.

TarPaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Black Edition 1500
Engine
Hemi V8
I have a 2012 Wrangler with the Pentastar.My Ram Hemi is awaiting me...tbh I feel the engine is a bit underpowered especially for a Ram...the mileage difference will not be so much of a difference from what i heard

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I drove the penta for about 10-20 km , It feel not bad, the power was far from my hemi, but it wasn't bad. But It wasn't enough to give me a good idea especially on the mpg.

But both of them was quad cab. I was wondering about the v6 in a crew cab 6'4" bed. It's maybe too much for the v6 ? especially with a 4x4 ?

But the main reason I want to change it's for the crew ( not at any cost I don't want a 10k debt on the swap) That's one of the reason I was looking for the penta. I know I don't need the hemi, even If I really love it haha.
I have a 3.6L 4x4...love it.

I think you are kinda answering your own questions on what you need. I feel like most of the folks who will have something negative to say probably haven't driven one.

You'll be well within your towing capacity for your trailer, you'll get the bigger cab (you need) and you'll get better gas mileage.

If a car seat not fitting has you looking for a different truck, your needs probably won't match up to many folks opinions on here.

I say go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
^^ I kind of agree. The v6 is not a Hemi, but it is plenty capable. And from how it sounds, you are more worried about your kid and their car seat (which is how it should be). You need to get what will make you and your family feel safe and comfortable and keep you out of a mini van .