How do you replace overhead console bulb???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sport654

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My drivers side map light is out & the dealer says they can't just replace the bulb. Instead they have to replace the whole console. Does this make sense? Not to me. Has anyone ever replaced this bulb. If so how?

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats bs.

You should be able to pop the plastic cover off to replace bulb.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
It depends if you have the OEM LED console then the bulbs are not replaceable as they are soldered on and no replacement diode is available through Fiat. If you have the incandescent console then you can replace them.
For 2013 and 2014 the incandescent consoles were found on the lower trim trucks, say bighorn and down, and the LED consoles were on like the Sport and up models.
I am not sure but I think the incandescent ones may be being phased out as I saw a new exspress on the lot with the LED console.

RZrman328 If you have a 2012 you are correct you have the incandescent bulbs and these can be changed, judging by his screenname he has a 2014 sport which came with the LED console.

Last edited:

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It depends if you have the OEM LED console then the bulbs are not replaceable as they are soldered on.

Wow....why the hell would they Do that?

Manufacturers making it more and more difficult to work on these things.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There needs to be class action law suits. There should be no light on any vehicle , that can not have just the light bulb changed.

Batram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'll check my invoice when I get home. I have a 2013 Sport and they replaced the bulb under warranty. I'm pretty sure they are LED. I'll report back, hopefully with a part number.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There needs to be class action law suits. There should be no light on any vehicle , that can not have just the light bulb changed.

A law suit? Realy? If the design uses a part that is not replaceable there is nothing to sue over. If this part was mislabeled as replaceable and folks were trying to do so and cause more damage and were responsible for the cost of repair, or personal injury happened due to the repair, than a lawsuit would ensue. However, it clearly states, and the operator was clearly informed they cannot be replaced. you can't sue a manufacturer over a design that is not convenient or cost effective for YOU. I'm no lawyer here, but I'm pretty sure no lawyer would pick up this case thinking they had a chance.

Additionally, the reason everything is going LED is because they are supposed to last forever and are more efficient, and generate less heat. These are not replaceable because they are not supposed to fail. I'm assuming these are defective and would be covered under warranty depending on your mileage. If your out of warranty then well crap happens and it was dumb luck they failed, and it's on you to pay the cost of repair.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out a 2004 Tahoe! My friend had 2 instrument clusters replaced for bulbs out. Out of warranty and they needed another.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
A law suit? Realy? If the design uses a part that is not replaceable there is nothing to sue over. If this part was mislabeled as replaceable and folks were trying to do so and cause more damage and were responsible for the cost of repair, or personal injury happened due to the repair, than a lawsuit would ensue. However, it clearly states, and the operator was clearly informed they cannot be replaced. you can't sue a manufacturer over a design that is not convenient or cost effective for YOU. I'm no lawyer here, but I'm pretty sure no lawyer would pick up this case thinking they had a chance.

Additionally, the reason everything is going LED is because they are supposed to last forever and are more efficient, and generate less heat. These are not replaceable because they are not supposed to fail. I'm assuming these are defective and would be covered under warranty depending on your mileage. If your out of warranty then well crap happens and it was dumb luck they failed, and it's on you to pay the cost of repair.

That is total ********* to make something like that. To have to throw away a console because it's made so that you can't change the light bulb. If you can't see something wrong with that picture, there is something wrong with you! And it's not going to get any better. So are you going to be one of them guys that goes oh ok 200 bucks for a turn signal bulb. Sorry you couldn't understand what I was saying. WTF.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I dont know what to tell you, sueing is not justifiable here.. I have LED's in my tails and headlights, you think I like the fact that my headlights and tail lights cost 10 times more than the normal ones? It is what it is. If you don't like modern technology and some of the issues with it then don't buy a new truck.

Maybe one day these things will be replaceable, but honestly think about how much it would cost for a PCB with LED's and a connector through FCA, then you would still have to take apart the whole console to replace it - you would find that good enough reason to ***** about it. This is nothing new with LED technology in cars and its not total ********. This is the case in almost every car that has LED's, I find it hard to believe this is the first time you have heard of this since LED's have been widely used in cars for over a decade now.

OP
OP
S

sport654

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It depends if you have the OEM LED console then the bulbs are not replaceable as they are soldered on and no replacement diode is available through Fiat. If you have the incandescent console then you can replace them.
For 2013 and 2014 the incandescent consoles were found on the lower trim trucks, say bighorn and down, and the LED consoles were on like the Sport and up models.
I am not sure but I think the incandescent ones may be being phased out as I saw a new exspress on the lot with the LED console.

RZrman328 If you have a 2012 you are correct you have the incandescent bulbs and these can be changed, judging by his screenname he has a 2014 sport which came with the LED console.

Well, mine's a 2014 sport so I guess it's LED which I would think is suppose to last a long time. Poor design in my opinion where they could have gone a different route than solder it. Thank god it is under warranty. My tail light went in 6 months & they charged me $28 to replace. Bulbs are not under warranty they said. If I knew that I would have replaced it myself for a lot less.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Incandescent bulbs are not covered, LED's are. You should have LED tails if you have a sport.

Side note: A general rule for things not covered under warranty are parts included on the maintenance schedule past the factory bumper to bumper (36k miles), and are a wear item. The only exception, and this is a huge one for RAM is they cover shocks, and suspension components.

Being LED's are not a wear item, nor are they on the maint schedule they are covered under the bumber to bumper warranty

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sport654

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I'm not sure this warrants a lawsuit, but maybe this does? I've been checking the internet & it appears this is not a random issue, but instead it has cropped up in numerous vehicles & in same cases multiple times on the same vehicle. Chrysler knows about it & has done nothing to correct the problem thus far. And they will only do the repair for free if your truck is within the warranty period. Sounds like the makings of a class action law suit to me...:mfr_omg:

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This is why I get extended warranties on my vehicles. I won't have this issue until after 100K miles..

But again, poor design on their part does not constitute lawfully making it right unless its a saftey issue. This kind of stuff is what makes people leave one brand and go to another, it's all about how the manufacture resolves the issue. And clearly FCA could give two craps about it. However, if the issue happened under warranty and it keeps happening and you fall outside of warranty then it was never fixed, and any reputable dealership should cover that under good faith.

Last edited:

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I dont know what to tell you, sueing is not justifiable here.. I have LED's in my tails and headlights, you think I like the fact that my headlights and tail lights cost 10 times more than the normal ones? It is what it is. If you don't like modern technology and some of the issues with it then don't buy a new truck.

Maybe one day these things will be replaceable, but honestly think about how much it would cost for a PCB with LED's and a connector through FCA, then you would still have to take apart the whole console to replace it - you would find that good enough reason to ***** about it. This is nothing new with LED technology in cars and its not total ********. This is the case in almost every car that has LED's, I find it hard to believe this is the first time you have heard of this since LED's have been widely used in cars for over a decade now.

Ya I've known about led. I don't think I have to agree with you. I still say it's ********* to make something that's a throw away like that. It could be made where it's not. Just think it's wrong to get screwed like that. If you don'tmind that's great. I could really give a **** less what kind of a light it is as long as i can change it. I don't have the dealer work on mine except for warranty. There is other post about this light and the puddle light on the mirror. But if you think it's awesome than it must be.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
My truck did not come with the overhead console I added it, at first I had an incandescent one. But then I saw a sport with the LED one and "had to have it". I admit the light is better, and I did not know if it fails I would be SOL. I would have been better off keeping the incandescent one and installing replacement LED bulbs. I agree it is ******** that you cannot change them.

I had one of my LEDs fail on my tow mirror, that one is replaceable for 40.00, the dealer told me they bilk FCA for 600.00 to change it! The service writers words not mine. The down side of those light is the design requires you to remove the mirror glass to change them, how stupid is that? And you know what happens when you have some clown who could careless removing the mirror glass "snap" enough said.

The bottom line is as a previous poster said these LEDs that Fiat used on our trucks are cheap Chinese junk destined to fail. Guess part of the business model is to bilk the customer three fold, 1 Purchase, 2 Repairs and 3 replacing entire assemblies in lieu of bulbs..........

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ya I've known about led. I don't think I have to agree with you. I still say it's ********* to make something that's a throw away like that. It could be made where it's not. Just think it's wrong to get screwed like that. If you don'tmind that's great. I could really give a **** less what kind of a light it is as long as i can change it. I don't have the dealer work on mine except for warranty. There is other post about this light and the puddle light on the mirror. But if you think it's awesome than it must be.

Listen man. Im not trying to say its awesome, im trying to justify why things are the way they are and make you and others understand that simple fact. But I guess you do already? Additionally im trying to say it doesn't really warrant a lawsuit. but your being bitter about it, thats fine - to each their own. But dont bite my head off and come at me cause I dont agree with you. You seem to keep insulting me because im not jumping on the bitter wagon and ******** about this un replaceable part. I could give two ***** if you agree with me or not, but theres no reason to be a ***** in every response toward me like I said something to insult you in the first place..

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ya you kinda did. I was just saying law suit , because it's a shame that ******* dome light is going to cost a obscene amount of money for what it is. I understand dash lights that are expensive to change. You're the one that was trying to talk down to me like I don't understand the led lights. As for being a *****, don't sell yourself short. You got that covered just like me. Knock yourself out having the last word. Later