impossible to get a full tank if gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No matter where I go I can't seen to get my tank full. The needle always stops before the red full line. Is this a tank design flaw? Well not the tank but the filler line.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How many gallons is your tank and how many gallons are you able to get in? I would manually track your fuel usage for awhile. Then determine if it'a even a big deal. How shy of full is the gauge after a full up?

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like your fuel pump sending unit isn't registering correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll check the spec online, 2011 Longhorn. I think it's 32 gallons...I had 30 miles to empty on my dash and the needle was in fact at the empty line. I was able to put in 28.5 gallons. I let it settle for site 30 seconds and tried to put more in. Wouldn't go!...after climbing in the truck turning it on the needle is now sitting just shy of the full line. Certainly not a big deal at all just frustrating too not get it full if that's the case. When I spend $60+ I just want to see it full.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
So it's a visual thing. Your tank it full but it looks like it's not.
You want it to look fuller. Pull it out and adjust the sending unit. If that can still be done on these trucks.
Either way your full and you just want more.

This sounds so wrong.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So it's a visual thing. Your tank it full but it looks like it's not.
You want it to look fuller. Pull it out and adjust the sending unit. If that can still be done on these trucks.
Either way your full and you just want more.

This sounds so wrong.
Too funny.. I'm not sure if it's full. I just checked and it indeed is a 32 gallon tank. Maybe I'm crazy, I've never owned a truck before that when it does the auto shut off you can't squeeze a couple more gallons in. But I can't seem to with this truck.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
You have owned a vehicle that after the auto shut off you CAN SQUEEZE A FEW MORE GALLONS IN?

That's not normal and probably has more to do with gas pump design vs your OCD when it comes to your fuel needle. Do you have a picture of your full fuel gauge?

You want a pic of his gauge up? Wtf? :naughty:

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You have owned a vehicle that after the auto shut off you CAN SQUEEZE A FEW MORE GALLONS IN?

That's not normal and probably has more to do with gas pump design vs your OCD when it comes to your fuel needle. Do you have a picture of your full fuel gauge?
Yes I've other owned several trucks, 07 Titan, 97, 02 Rams..all of which I could put at least another gallon of gas in after the pump handle shut off...the needle on all of those would show a little bit over full. And I'm sorry you feel this is OCD!! It's just me wanting to ***** about something. If it was normal for me too not get more in the tank I wouldn't have taken the time to write about it. As I stated in a previous post..It's not a big deal just something to talk about.

Last edited:

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
well if you are saying it is broken because you arent getting the full 32 gallons you get more gas then me. When my gas light comes on i fill up about 26-27 gallons. Gas light comes on under 50 if i recall, i haven't let it get that low in a while.

Anyway..everything after that is reserve so you arent ever going to get a full 32 gallon fill up unless you drain your gas tank or drive until your engine dies.

as for the needle thing thats some ocd..if its on the "full" line and you fill up with 28 gallons....its full. It doesnt need to be over the "full" line to be full

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
well if you are saying it is broken because you arent getting the full 32 gallons you get more gas then me. When my gas light comes on i fill up about 26-27 gallons. Gas light comes on under 50 if i recall, i haven't let it get that low in a while.

Anyway..everything after that is reserve so you arent ever going to get a full 32 gallon fill up unless you drain your gas tank or drive until your engine dies.

as for the needle thing thats some ocd..if its on the "full" line and you fill up with 28 gallons....its full. It doesnt need to be over the "full" line to be full
Okay, so maybe I'll explain it this way. I'm not looking to get 32 gallons, I'm not an idiot..I get that there is still gas in the tank when I go to fill it. I also get approximately 28 gallons of gas when I fill up. My needle is not on the full line is yours? If yours is on red line (not close)but on it..Then obviously something is different with my sending unit. Not a big deal just looking to compare to others. It's certainly not worth fixing. If every vehicle you've owned has been full after the pump stops awesome for you..that hasn't been my experience hence why I asked the question and assumed it wasn't full. Considering the needle is (UNDER) the red line. It's all about experiences..Nothing about that is OCD...Maybe you should look up the definition. However, problem solved..we both get 28 gallons when filing up, yours shows full, mine doesn't.. Moving on. Thanks for the info

Last edited:

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi

All 4 of my RAMs 10,12, 14 and 15 have allowed me to squeeze in approximately 1 1/2 gallons after the first full click:favorites13:

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All 4 of my RAMs 10,12, 14 and 15 have allowed me to squeeze in approximately 1 1/2 gallons after the first full click:favorites13:
Thank you!! I knew I wasn't the only one.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thank you!! I knew I wasn't the only one.

are you at risk of damaging the evap system if you fill to a point where you get gas in the system?

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The gauge on my 2015 goes past the full line, and I stop filling after the pump automatically shuts off, I don't top it off.

CDNUSER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The gauge on my 2015 goes past the full line, and I stop filling after the pump automatically shuts off, I don't top it off.

Agreed.
No point in topping up just so you can drive a few miles extra. Much of it ends up leaking out onto the road anyway.
My old shop teacher pulled out the fill neck from a Buick and showed us with water what happens. The Buick had a vent line and almost half of the extra gas leaked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can do same as op..I put the gas to her and when it stops automatically i can get more in..Let it gurgle down and add more slowly..Fill it up till she cant take not a single drop more..I have even on the odd trip shaken the truck a lil just to get the bubbles out so i get that extra few drops in..