Just got back from dealer....how are these numbers? Purchase/lease

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shockwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, new member here. I just test drove a 2017 RAM 1500 night edition / sport. MSRP with all options came out to about $53,350. The advertised price with rebates and dealer discount was 42800. I told them over the phone yesterday that thr 42800 was out of my range and I am looking for something around 37/38 but they said come down and test drive it and we will see what we can do.

So they offered to let me take for a drive by myself without me even asking which was great. Interior was great as you would expect from a FCA vehicle. Outside was great as well and what caught my attention to begin with. Overall though I was not to impressed with the power and driving over my 2006 Durango SLT. Kind of left the vehicle not wow'd and stood their staring at it after I got out trying to make up my mind whether I liked it or not.

Anyway the dealer ran some numbers of course and gave me pretty much nothing for my trade in($1700) and said with that and maybe dropping t a bit lower he could get it down to 40,500 roughly. That wasn't going to fly for me so I asked about leasing numbers while the manager was there and he said in a 53k vehicle it would be in the mid to high 300's as a rough estimate. He left and then a few minutes later I asked the sales rep to get me some exact numbers and he came back with 12k/$412 a month and 15k/$446 a month . Do these seem right to you?

I imagine the lease numbers should be based off the 41k as if I was purchasing outright correct?

I think if the lease was around $350 I would probably buy it. Not sure if it's worth going back though if it's not feasible.

OP
OP
S

Shockwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This was with the 5.7?!

Yes, rebates are 5k and dealer discount was 5700 roughly. Almost 11k off and that's what got me down there. Had no interest in a truck until I saw those.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
No way in hell do I lease, especially a truck. <-- my opinion

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Especially a 54K truck. You will get owned when the lease is up.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What the others have said. Do not lease a truck, you will get screwed in the end. No offense, but it sounds like you're trying to justify an expensive truck, by using the lease. If your budget is X dollars, and the dealer wants more, then forget about the truck and move on to something else.

OP
OP
S

Shockwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What the others have said. Do not lease a truck, you will get screwed in the end. No offense, but it sounds like you're trying to justify an expensive truck, by using the lease. If your budget is X dollars, and the dealer wants more, then forget about the truck and move on to something else.

Can afford about 10k realistically over the 41k he got it down to. Just don't think it's worth that much to me so that's why I inquired about leasing. Overall in general I am thinking of switching to leasing all future cars as I always line to have thratesg and greatest. Don't really want to keep any vehicles over 5 years max anymore.

How do I get screwed leasing a truck? I pay the payment and turn it in when the lease is up. It's not a work truck and I don't go off road.

RandyGallup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I leased and didn't get screwed. Like op said I made the payments and turned it in. Not hard!

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi, new member here. I just test drove a 2017 RAM 1500 night edition / sport. MSRP with all options came out to about $53,350. ..........Overall though I was not to impressed with the power and driving over my 2006 Durango SLT. Kind of left the vehicle not wow'd and stood their staring at it after I got out trying to make up my mind whether I liked it or not.

Must have been something wrong with it if your '06 Durango was as fast. (With a 4.7??) Most guys here will tell you that stock these trucks are quick, and with a tune they go Mustang hunting. Mine is bone stock-a Sport Crew 2WD with 3:92's and it impresses me every time I hit the "Go" pedal.

By the way, run from the lease.

cdsbj6508

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't lease, but for your price range there are different variances of Trucks available . I would go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't lease but my understanding is that you have to negotiate the selling price and then negotiate the residual price. The difference plus taxes and fees divided by the term is your payment, mileage in mind. I am sure someone who is more versed here can explain in better detail.

The thing with leasing is that you need to know what to expect from beginning to end and decide if you are happy with that. Mods present a problem though people will mod a lease and switch it back before turnover. Are you also ok turning the vehicle in and starting from 0.....or possibly the chance that you'll owe some money due to abnormal wear, dings, etc. or over mileage.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Especially a 54K truck. You will get owned when the lease is up.

What the others have said. Do not lease a truck, you will get screwed in the end.

If you understand the terms of your lease you can't get screwed or owned. It is a contract, everything is stated upfront. Most don't read the finer print and try to return the vehicle from a lease with more than expected damage, worn tires, mismatched tires, aftermarket equipment, etc.

Also, dealing with a leasing company that isn't well-known spells trouble, stay with manufacture or well-established leasing agents.

One of my sons leases a vehicle, he drives less than 30,000 miles over three years. He always has a vehicle under warranty with free oil changes (GM) and roadside assistance. At the end of three years, he negotiates a new vehicle. He does not fall victim to early lease turn ins or other dealer scams. His leases are set to expire at the end of July every three years and he always does well negotiating an end of the year vehicle or dealer's demo vehicle. Right now he is driving a nicely equipped Cruise for $132 per month including taxes. Leasing isn't for everyone but for those that leasing works it is a great program.

I don't lease but my understanding is that you have to negotiate the selling price and then negotiate the residual price. The difference plus taxes and fees divided by the term is your payment, mileage in mind. I am sure someone who is more versed here can explain in better detail.

The thing with leasing is that you need to know what to expect from beginning to end and decide if you are happy with that. Mods present a problem though people will mod a lease and switch it back before turnover. Are you also ok turning the vehicle in and starting from 0.....or possibly the chance that you'll owe some money due to abnormal wear, dings, etc. or over mileage.

Exactly all though the residual isn't negotiable it is fixed on what is the expected market value of the vehicle will be when the lease term expires. You do have to keep an eye on that number during negotiations just because it is one way for a less than honest leasing agent to screw you.

A leasing company buys the vehicle from the dealer at the selling price you negotiate. The delta between the residual and selling price is the cost of the lease plus the interest or money factor. This is where most get screwed because they don't understand the money factor and sales people try to keep you focused on the monthly lease payment amount.

Always ask what the money factor is, take that number, multiply by 2400 and bang, now you can see the money factory in its equivalent interest rate value. An example, a money factor of 0.00125 X 2,400 equals an interest rate of 3%. You would be surprised how many folks are paying 8, 10, even 12 percent interest on a lease and don't know it.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I leased once but never will again. As Dave Ramsey says lease should be known as a fleece. They are setup for the company to win not you. People will argue the always in warranty factor but I can tell you my paid off truck can be repaired a lot for $400-500 a month. Think about it...

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried a lease on my 07 Ram Sport only because I never owned a full size truck, and was not sure if I would like it. I had a Dakota for 8 years and a few Durango's. I figured this way in 3 years I can give it back, or keep it. Three years later I liked it and figured I could not buy another new truck for 16K, Plus I only had 34K miles on it.
Anyway, I ordered a new Sport Night last week and my dealer also gave me 11K off the price. I hear this discount will expire June 1, so I would talk to them tomorrow. If you do not want the high monthly payment, go with a lease, then purchase it at the end.
Just a Thought

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
13000 off sticker isn't too bad of a deal. You wanted to be at ,38000?, Meet them in the middle, 39200. If you get a good interest rate, grab it. Forget the lease.

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
1) If you are are looking at a $53k truck and can get it for damn near $13k off sticker, id jump all over it. Thats about 23.5% off sticker which is a great deal. Most cant even get 20% off sticker.

2) Lease if you want is fine, just know what you are getting yourself into. Leasing is not a fleece like some say, you just need to know the formula. Google it a learn if you dont alreay know. Then you will know if your payment / milegae and terms are fair or not. Just remember this, a lease is designed to make the dealer money and is usually not a great deal for the buyer (you). Usually, a lease price is a fair price, not a good deal or great deal for the buer (you ).

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Must have been something wrong with it if your '06 Durango was as fast. (With a 4.7??) Most guys here will tell you that stock these trucks are quick, and with a tune they go Mustang hunting. Mine is bone stock-a Sport Crew 2WD with 3:92's and it impresses me every time I hit the "Go" pedal.

you sure it had a hemi and not the 3.6 pentastar engine?

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
If the truck didnt feel much different than your Durango then either it most definitely did not have a 5.7 Hemi or there was something wrong with it.

Also as others have said, $13k+ off new sticker is unbeatable in the truck world now a days. It is a lot of money off on a very nice truck. Ford and GM wouldnt come close to that. GM might come close to 10k if they were desperate for a sale.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I agree and I have a 4X4.

I just had to comment since that's my handle on corvetteforum LOL.... "hitthegopedal". I rarely hear that term.