New dodge owner, puzzling fan issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rweisenburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2010 ram, it appears I have lost operation of the cooling fans. There's a harness going into the fan shroud with black, blue and green wires. Given the size of the fuse and the size of those cables, I feel like those are it. Theres a 60a fuse for fan 1&2 that checks out ok. I unplug that harness and I am not showing 12v anywhere. I tried swapping the fan 1 and 2 relays hoping I'd at least see one of those fans spinning. I just inherited this truck, and with it this issue. I'm pretty sure that just as little as last week when I drove the truck at least the radiator cooling fan was running after the engine was cut off, now I don't even get that. And last week the AC was running, and now only warm air is blowing. Is it possible both relays are bad? And what's the deal with the relays, are they dealer replacement only? I feel like I'm finding so little info on this issue and possible fixes... Maybe for a reason? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hemissary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cooling fans are controlled by the PCM and activate at preset values. Start (low speed) IAT set point is likely close to 200F.

How are you sure they are not functioning properly?

OP
OP
R

rweisenburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks. Was able to check the relays and the fan. Relays good, fan good, but something not signalling either fan speed to turn on. Does the PCM control both radiator cool and well as AC cool fan operation?

Edit: I think I answered my own question about the PCM (yes) , and I found another dodge related post elsewhere with a problem very similar to mine, and if I'm lucky I'm going to fine a bad ground sensor wire somewhere between the PCM and the fuse box.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hemissary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes the PCM controls both sets of cooling fan set points; one set when A/C is off the other when engaged.

Skeptical about a GND issue in this case, good luck.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
should be a code if not working. not sure there is an issue.

gvick23701

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2010 Ram is doing the same thing. Was there ever a final answer to what it actually was?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FYI I read through the electrical portion of the manual for the 2010-12 Rams ...and studied the circuits and wiring. Just about EVERYTHING is controlled through the PCM including the horn and almost every other accessory. Something to keep in mind for troubleshooting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990