ODB2 Reader

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbrumm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What would be a good ODB2 reader for my 2011 Ram? My old one will not work on it or the 2010 Honda van or the 2011 Ford Escape.

Thanks

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly, a Bluetooth OBD reader is pretty cool and cheap. The OBD dongle runs about 15 bucks and you run it on an app on the phone

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I struggled with PC and app based dongles for years, just too much stuff to haul around and if there was not one interface issue there was another. BlueTooth can be so slow and temperamental, especially for live data. If you go that route, get a wired style. Inexpensive readers sometimes don't get the info you need.

You should get a reader that can read ABS and airbag codes as those can be common problems that the local auto parts store scanners can't read. I like my Bosch OBD1100 that O'reilly sells (which a rebranded something else). It goes on sale for $50-$60 at times, regular price about $90. I've used it on several Chrysler vehicles as well as Cheby and Audi without a hiccup. It can record several channels of live data which you can offload to a PC for analysis.

Last edited:

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use an UltraGuage in my truck. It can scroll through 7 or 8 different screens of different readouts, with each page showing up to 6 readings. I originally bought it for my Land Rovers to monitor temperature, but since we got rid of them, I moved mine to the truck.

It is wired, and I have it mounted on the left side of the instrument cluster. I'll see if I can a pic of it... I know I took one when I put it in.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1464754850767.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464754850767.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 68

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're looking for a simple code reader to just check and clear codes then any cheap code reader will be fine. You can get one of those from your local auto parts store for under $50. Harbor freight even sells them. If you're looking to see the vehicles live data then you will spend $100/200+ on one. These will let you see live sensor data along with several other functions. If ABS is what you want to look at then you'll have to buy one that has an ABS function. Those will usually cost more. Now you will more than likely need one that's compatible with the CAN-BUS systems. Again usually costs more. All of these can be bought at most auto parts stores.

12_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the BlueDriver it was around a $100 on Amazon it is a Bluetooth one that you download an app on your phone, it is great it will scan your entire vehicle system such as check engine codes, airbag system, brake system, provide live data, certain sensor readings, etc...I purchased it because my older one would not work on any of the newer vehicles above like 2005, so far I haven't found anything that this one did not work on.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
https://actron.com/content/obd-ii-auto-scanner-plus

cp9580A

watch this site. they put their readers,on sale, every so often. I got mine, direct from them, for $125. I see your North Central Iowa. I live in Des Moines are and work out of boone. Would be more than happy to meet you and let you try the reader out, to see if you like it. Message me thru the site, if you want to try to it out.

RR engr so I work really odd hours.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use an UltraGuage in my truck. It can scroll through 7 or 8 different screens of different readouts, with each page showing up to 6 readings. I originally bought it for my Land Rovers to monitor temperature, but since we got rid of them, I moved mine to the truck.

It is wired, and I have it mounted on the left side of the instrument cluster. I'll see if I can a pic of it... I know I took one when I put it in.

Not sure why the picture is sideways... uploaded from my phone that way. Anyway, I forgot to mention, that the UltraGauge will read and clear codes if they should appear. Also, it is $60 on their website.

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

OP
OP
rbrumm

rbrumm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the info. The CAN-BUS compatibility is the problem with my old one I guess.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Thanks for all the info. The CAN-BUS compatibility is the problem with my old one I guess.

How old is the old one? CAN BUS has been pretty much standard since 2005 for most makes and models.

OP
OP
rbrumm

rbrumm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How old is the old one? CAN BUS has been pretty much standard since 2005 for most makes and models.

Older than that.

I bought a Bosch 1150. Cool to graph and record. Probably spent more than I needed to but oh well.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also have a couple of 15$ amazon Bluetooth ODBII reader, as well as the Torque app for my phone.

Best 15$ I ever spent, I just leave them plugged in my vehicles and forget about them.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I had one of those, very good looking but doesn't have all of the info

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Drdan524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the Bluetooth done with the Torque app as well. It seems to have everything you need as far as readouts. You can track your gas mileage and erase codes. Just can't do things like turn daytime running lights off or any other programming