Odd interior smell at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Morning all,
I've noticed a smell coming out of the vents, kind of like something dead, but I only smell it when I'm sitting idle. I would assume when driving, I'm pulling in more outside "fresh" air. I've only got 2600 miles on the clock. Will the dealer cover smells in the ducts?

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol no. The dealer will not cover something dead in your truck.

That's the thing though, I don't know for sure that it's something dead... just an odd smell only when sitting idle. Will they cover exploratory expenses trying to find the source of the smell?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There was issues with the hoses and anti-freeze not being compatiable a year or 2 ago,and creating a dead smelling oder inside the cab.If you do a search on ramforumz,you'll find lots of people complaining about the oder.Your not alone,lol.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was issues with the hoses and anti-freeze not being compatiable a year or 2 ago,and creating a dead smelling oder inside the cab.If you do a search on ramforumz,you'll find lots of people complaining about the oder.Your not alone,lol.

Oh boy... ok, I'll do a search.
But first, any resolutions?

Mbrp.Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi. Mbrp catback, k&n cai
Interesting

You may have a loose gas valve.

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Morning all,
I've noticed a smell coming out of the vents, kind of like something dead, but I only smell it when I'm sitting idle. I would assume when driving, I'm pulling in more outside "fresh" air. I've only got 2600 miles on the clock. Will the dealer cover smells in the ducts?

I have encountered the same thing. My truck is a 2016 mind you with about 10.5k miles. Typically I have noticed it when first starting up and it is sporadic in nature as to the frequency.

It seems to go away fairly quick so I have not pursued it.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something dead in the engine compartment, smell at idle but as you move the fumes are blown away from the cabin air intake :).

Seriously, there are a lot of engine compartment smells at idle that get blown away from the cabin air intake when moving. Pop the hood when idling and see if you smell anything unusual.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
could be mold in your vents.