2019 5.7 acceleration went wonky, ac stopping cooling, burning smell - 1 day after warranty ends. :/

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bubbafat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey folks - I already have an appointment to get it looked at but I wanted to see if this rings any bells.

I have a 2019 1500 Big Horn with the 5.7. On Sunday I started it up and drove about 2 blocks before the bottom fell out of the acceleration - over about 5 seconds it went from 25 to about 5 mph and the engine just rev'ed. It felt like it was not able to get into gear and there was a sound like something was dragging (not like a loud grinding - it was more subtle but hard to explain). I stopped immediately and turned everything off.

What I noticed was a strong burning smell - like what you'd expect when a caliper locks up and the brakes are dragging. I got back in and turned the engine back on to see how it sounded and it sounded fine _except_ that the air conditioner was no longer blowing cold. The fan was blowing, changing modes moved the doors as expected, the air was just ambient temp. There are no warning lights (I'll try pulling codes tonight - my scanner is in my toolbag in my son's car).

So I drove the two blocks back to the house and parked it. On the drive back I didn't notice any problems but I kept it around 15 mph. Back in the driveway the burning smell lingered but was much less pronounced then when I initially stopped. Came back out this AM and let it idle for about 10 minutes and the engine sounded fine but the AC is still not cold. There as no smell this AM.

If it weren't for the burning smell and the lack of dash lights I would guess that it went into limp mode and that the AC is disabled when that happens. But shouldn't I get some indication of why on the dash?

In either case it's going to the shop on Thursday and will sit still until then. Just wanted to see if losing power, a burning smell, and a dead AC sound familiar to anyone else.

Thanks and have a better day than my Ram!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would reach out to the dealership. I bet since it is so close on the warranty they might actually fix it. I know I had a 03 4.7 that had the dreaded head problem. I was a year after the warranty, but still well under 36k. The replaced the heads at no charge.

OP
OP
B

bubbafat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Treburkulosis - would love to get this under a goodwill warranty but their first opening was 12 days from now. So my plan is to get my usual place to look at it and if it's over a certain threshold I'll get it to the dealer. In either case I'll take the receipts over to the dealer and see if they will work with me.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Treburkulosis - would love to get this under a goodwill warranty but their first opening was 12 days from now. So my plan is to get my usual place to look at it and if it's over a certain threshold I'll get it to the dealer. In either case I'll take the receipts over to the dealer and see if they will work with me.
Hopefully they work with you. I know Meador where I took mine way back when was excellent to me. Autonation where I go now is ok. I have a pretty good one up the road.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could the burning smell be coming from your A/C compressor, maybe the clutch smoked and that's why you have no A/C, you for sure went into limp mode and you need to have it diagnosed, do you have etorque?

OP
OP
B

bubbafat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could the burning smell be coming from your A/C compressor, maybe the clutch smoked and that's why you have no A/C, you for sure went into limp mode and you need to have it diagnosed, do you have etorque?

It’s definitely possible. When I idled this AM I ran the AC for a few minutes hoping that I could reproduce that but it didn’t.

Not the etorque. It’s the standard Hemi 5.7 with an alternator.

OP
OP
B

bubbafat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FWIW - checked all codes (confirmed, pending, and permanent across all modules, and mode 6) and nothing was reported (well, Mode 6 reported, but all green). Checked while in acc mode and also while idling for a few minutes with and without the AC on.

Could an AC clutch failing cause the engine to power down while failing? I.e., if the pulley locked at a lower speed could that result in the sensation similar to limp mode and after the AC was turned off everything drove like normal again?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have your A/C checked out with gauges to check pressures and compressor clutch function.

OP
OP
B

bubbafat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would have your A/C checked out with gauges to check pressures and compressor clutch function.

Looks like this is the answer. It needs a new ac compressor but these are backordered nationally and I'm now 119th in line with the regional parts house.

In the mean time I'm thinking of disconnecting the wiring harness from the compressor so that if the ac or defrost are turned on the compressor won't attempt to engage.

Could be a few months before I'm getting the part and I want to mitigate the risk that it might be engaged and cause more damages.

Dumb idea? Ok? Wrongheaded?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You may want to find it yourself, then locate an independent shop to do the replacement. Probably will save many dollars on the cost . Dealers will not search for parts.

OP
OP
B

bubbafat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You may want to find it yourself, then locate an independent shop to do the replacement. Probably will save many dollars on the cost . Dealers will not search for parts.

It's at an independent shop (they do all my vehicle service when not under factory warranty). Just a few minutes ago they called with a salvage yard option with 6 month warranty.

Hard to believe how poor the part supply chain is right now. These aren't in stock with the dealer, rockauto, the national part stores, etc. I don't mind getting a warrantied part from a yard but it's not normally the only option just the economical one.

Anyway - sounds like I'll have AC again soon.

Appreciate all the input!

fitz7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey folks - I already have an appointment to get it looked at but I wanted to see if this rings any bells.

I have a 2019 1500 Big Horn with the 5.7. On Sunday I started it up and drove about 2 blocks before the bottom fell out of the acceleration - over about 5 seconds it went from 25 to about 5 mph and the engine just rev'ed. It felt like it was not able to get into gear and there was a sound like something was dragging (not like a loud grinding - it was more subtle but hard to explain). I stopped immediately and turned everything off.

What I noticed was a strong burning smell - like what you'd expect when a caliper locks up and the brakes are dragging. I got back in and turned the engine back on to see how it sounded and it sounded fine _except_ that the air conditioner was no longer blowing cold. The fan was blowing, changing modes moved the doors as expected, the air was just ambient temp. There are no warning lights (I'll try pulling codes tonight - my scanner is in my toolbag in my son's car).

So I drove the two blocks back to the house and parked it. On the drive back I didn't notice any problems but I kept it around 15 mph. Back in the driveway the burning smell lingered but was much less pronounced then when I initially stopped. Came back out this AM and let it idle for about 10 minutes and the engine sounded fine but the AC is still not cold. There as no smell this AM.

If it weren't for the burning smell and the lack of dash lights I would guess that it went into limp mode and that the AC is disabled when that happens. But shouldn't I get some indication of why on the dash?

In either case it's going to the shop on Thursday and will sit still until then. Just wanted to see if losing power, a burning smell, and a dead AC sound familiar to anyone else.

Thanks and have a better day than my Ram!

It's at an independent shop (they do all my vehicle service when not under factory warranty). Just a few minutes ago they called with a salvage yard option with 6 month warranty.

Hard to believe how poor the part supply chain is right now. These aren't in stock with the dealer, rockauto, the national part stores, etc. I don't mind getting a warrantied part from a yard but it's not normally the only option just the economical one.

Anyway - sounds like I'll have AC again soon.

Appreciate all the input!
My ac went at 47500km. Hissing under the passenger side dash. I also had weird acceleration issues. Turned out it was a bad rear diff but when it happened i heard no noise. Felt like a seized caliper until i heard grinding then it was replaced under warranty.. 2 times!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have your shop install a new compressor clutch and set the air gap, and replace the Dryer, better now than have it go out down the road, seeing they're going to evacuate the liquid gold 1234yf that's in the system.