Odd Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
For a few months, the Ram has had a loud, metallic sounding rattling over bumps, coming from somewhere in the engine bay area. Best I could describe it to the dealer was it sounded like a loose brake pad flopping against the caliper. So when I was getting the 911 button issue addressed I had them look at that. I wouldn't have believed it but that noise was actually a mis-adjusted hood bumper causing the hood to smack against the bumper. Dealer showed me what they did to silence it (they knew what it was because apparently they've had a few new Rams come in with the same odd noise). Apparently there's a little plastic film on the hood that the hood bumper snugs up against, and that plastic film had peeled off, causing the chafing. The noise in my opinion didn't match the source, but the rattle is gone, so I guess that was it. In case any of you are chasing a strange rattle you just can't find...

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hm..one of my plastic films just rubbed off recently so I'll keep an ear out. Thanks for the tip.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For a few months, the Ram has had a loud, metallic sounding rattling over bumps, coming from somewhere in the engine bay area. Best I could describe it to the dealer was it sounded like a loose brake pad flopping against the caliper. So when I was getting the 911 button issue addressed I had them look at that. I wouldn't have believed it but that noise was actually a mis-adjusted hood bumper causing the hood to smack against the bumper. Dealer showed me what they did to silence it (they knew what it was because apparently they've had a few new Rams come in with the same odd noise). Apparently there's a little plastic film on the hood that the hood bumper snugs up against, and that plastic film had peeled off, causing the chafing. The noise in my opinion didn't match the source, but the rattle is gone, so I guess that was it. In case any of you are chasing a strange rattle you just can't find...

I've had a strange rattle/squeek from what sounds like the drivers side front wheel well. The dealer has told me twice they can't hear it. The weird thing is as soon as it gets wet, I wash it, or drive it through a car wash it stops for a day or two. Of course when I brought it to the dealer both times it rained. Its annoying as hell and I've had 2 different people riding with me ask me what it was.:rolleyes:

Now that I saw this post I remebered about 6 months ago one of those little plastic films is gone although I can't remember what side. I'll definitely check that out. So was the fix putting on a new plastic film on or adjusting the hood bumpers?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a rattle from the passenger side when on the highway. Turned out to be the weather strip that is on the hinge side of the passenger door. It is a plastic strip with rubber on it and its held on with push pins that had backed out slightly. I just pushed them in snug and it went away.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a rattle from the passenger side when on the highway. Turned out to be the weather strip that is on the hinge side of the passenger door. It is a plastic strip with rubber on it and its held on with push pins that had backed out slightly. I just pushed them in snug and it went away.

That's good to know I'll definitely check this out as well.

OP
OP
W

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I've had a strange rattle/squeek from what sounds like the drivers side front wheel well. The dealer has told me twice they can't hear it. The weird thing is as soon as it gets wet, I wash it, or drive it through a car wash it stops for a day or two. Of course when I brought it to the dealer both times it rained. Its annoying as hell and I've had 2 different people riding with me ask me what it was.:rolleyes:

Now that I saw this post I remebered about 6 months ago one of those little plastic films is gone although I can't remember what side. I'll definitely check that out. So was the fix putting on a new plastic film on or adjusting the hood bumpers?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Replacing the film is what they did.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone have pictures of this "film"?

This is it. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be attached to the bumper or the hood but I'm missing the one on the drivers side which is the side my rattle is coming from.

uploadfromtaptalk1395591065394.jpg

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its hard to believe that that the hood is adjusted so precisely that the thin film will cause a rattle.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a quick update on this, I had the dealer replace all the films on my hood. There's actually 4 of them. The two round ones like the one in my earlier post and there's 2 rectangular films further out towards the fenders. Mine was missing 3 out of the 4. You would be surprised how much noise can come from these not being there.

Jpeyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I have this same issue.. Haven't taken it into the dealer cause I know they're going to say they can't find any issues. To me it sounds like a heat shield by the drivers side wheel well. I haven't crawled under to check the cat heat shield yet, but that's what it sounds like.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this same issue.. Haven't taken it into the dealer cause I know they're going to say they can't find any issues. To me it sounds like a heat shield by the drivers side wheel well. I haven't crawled under to check the cat heat shield yet, but that's what it sounds like.

This I what I have going on, it's as if something is barely loose somewhere. And I only hear it on acceleration

Sent from the MOPAR gods!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

That's a good idea I'll have to check that out on mine. I've had mine at the dealer 3 times and they've told me each time that they can't hear it. The hood films eliminated the squeaking part of the noise but its still there more as a slight rattle. For me it seems to be when I hit a bump on the passenger side. Its pretty annoying and even more so on a year old truck with 6500 miles...

OP
OP
W

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Just a quick update on this, I had the dealer replace all the films on my hood. There's actually 4 of them. The two round ones like the one in my earlier post and there's 2 rectangular films further out towards the fenders. Mine was missing 3 out of the 4. You would be surprised how much noise can come from these not being there.

Mine was the passenger side rectangular one out by the fender. It was missing. And yes it is hard to believe that can not only cause a rattle, but a big loud rattle that sounded to me like a brake pad rattling against the caliper, or a loose heat shield as mentioned above. I thought they were bat crap nuts when they said that was the fix; my eyes about rolled all the way up into the back of my head. But heck, no more rattle.

SgtK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I need all four films, Did anyone get part numbers for them? I get goofy looks from the guy at the dealer already when I ask for odd ball items, This might just be the oddest. " Hey, I need some plastic film thingies for my hood stoppers. What you got???"

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I need all four films, Did anyone get part numbers for them? I get goofy looks from the guy at the dealer already when I ask for odd ball items, This might just be the oddest. " Hey, I need some plastic film thingies for my hood stoppers. What you got???"

The part numbers are 68185697AA for the smaller round ones, and 68092751AA for the larger rectangular ones. I ordered and extra set of them just in case they come off again.

UneasyJmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great info. You know the RAM engineers spent about 800 man hours on this problem at factory before they said, just use some plastic thingys under the hood, LOL.

J

jub jub

I just went outside and took a look at mine. They appear to be made of teflon. I wonder if smearing a light coat of grease or petroleum jelly would quiet things down.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93