Out with the 2014 Eco and in with the 2016 hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Well, if all goes well the wife will be trading in the Eco diesel for a Hemi sometime today. Sure the fuel economy of the diesel is great but at $500/year for oil changes. Def, and a bunch of visits to the dealer. Why not go back to gas. Also, interest rates will allow me to save about $6000 compared to my current loan. She went in a few weeks ago to see about trading in because the rates are less than half what we got out loan for in 2014. Didn't find anything she wanted. Well the dealer called her last night and said they have someone interested in buying a used Eco,but they don't have any and can't keep diesels on the lot. So they were willing to barging a bit more. If it happens I will post up some pics when she sends me some.

The Hemi can tow more weight, and has a few more options then our base model Eco. So we will be getting slightly more truck for less money, keep the same payment and pay the Hemi off a year sooner than we would the diesel.

It's a silver crew cab, 4x4 with chrome package, rear camera, tow package and blue tooth.

OP
OP
C

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Well that was weird timing, just got a txt from the wife. She picks up the new truck Wednesday!!! Buddy of mine is gonna pull off the step bars, and plow brackets for me.

rtm03862iq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used to only buy diesels, but not anymore. Gas is the way for me for now on. Good luck with the new ride.

madpuma13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They must have charged you an arm and a leg for those oil changes or you drive a whole lot.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was able to negotiate free oil changes for life as part of my purchase so its good to know it was actually worth something!

OP
OP
C

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Getting the oil changed done at cost is $250 each time. dealer charges over $300. ya we drive alot, wifes daily commute is 120ish km/day. So twice a year minumim on the oil changes.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
glad you guys were able to get everything sorted and settled so fast.

so the next question is, will this thread degenerate into how diesel saves you $$$ in the long run and has a greater resale value than gas.....:)

Lipcurl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the same thing last year, dumped my 14 Eco for a 15 hemi. Tired of the truck going back to dealer for repairs. Once I hit 19k in the Eco the CEL was like a strobe light......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TarPaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Black Edition 1500
Engine
Hemi V8
I love my 16 Hemi...took a 300 mile trip and averaged 21 on the highway...good luck

OP
OP
C

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
its new truck day!!! of course im playing in a sandbox so i wont get to drive it for a bit however the wife will be picking it up today! i will post up soem pics when she sends them to me.

OP
OP
C

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
picture as promised.. the Tube bars, tonneau cover, and winter tires are going on tomorrow.

picture.php

OP
OP
C

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
check out what they did to the shifter!!! they got rid of that stupid dial!! not sure what radio that is, wife said that she can dial her phone from it, and the back up camera shows up on the screen (in the 14 it was in the rear view mirror). also the 4x4 is now a dial (in the 14 it was push button). Im glad it has the integrated controller!

picture.php

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
check out what they did to the shifter!!! they got rid of that stupid dial!! not sure what radio that is, wife said that she can dial her phone from it, and the back up camera shows up on the screen (in the 14 it was in the rear view mirror). also the 4x4 is now a dial (in the 14 it was push button). Im glad it has the integrated controller!

picture.php

Uhh, yeah, the shift dial is the bomb. Not sure why you don't like it. Nice move on saving money!

OP
OP
C

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Uhh, yeah, the shift dial is the bomb. Not sure why you don't like it. Nice move on saving money!

It's a pain in the ass when plowing. I usually hold my switch on top of the shifter so i can stop, hit the up button while shifting to reverse, then hit the throttle. Stop, hit the button while shifting to drive, then hit the throttle. It's hard to hold the switch and spin the knob. Also, twice I thought the truck was in park but it was in reverse when I started to get out. I made a habit of just shutting the truck off. Once when it did it, the park light was lit up but the truck was still in reverse. That's when I stopped getting out with the engine running.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Wait wtf, did they changed the gear shift dial?? I liked the way it was before on my 2013

Wow that's horrible, they went back on their dial shifter, guess too many people didn't like it. Lol 4x4 now has a dial and takes up tons of space on the dash. The small buttons for 4x4 were perfect before. So much disappointed in ram design.

Last edited:

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You sure it's not a 6 speed trans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Uh guys, it looks like the OP went with a 6-speed auto transmission, he doesn't have the 8-speed ZF transmission in his new Hemi.

To me the truck looks like a SXT trim truck, which comes with the 6-speed transmission as standard (the Canadian equivalent to the Tradesman trim).