Looking at a 2014 Eco Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waitrain

Reaction score
Looking at a 2014 RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab with 127,000 miles listed at $17,500. It has The Eco Diesel engine. No accidents, 2 owner and dealer says there is no mechanical or cosmetic issues including no rust. I am not sold on getting a diesel in such a small truck. Although I do haul some things (hay, straw, small tractor and other small equipment) but nothing that requires a diesel.

Being honest all my other trucks have been Ford F series 250 and 350. I have had great experiences with these trucks but I'm ready to go smaller and have an everyday driver as a truck.

I've never owned a diesel before and the upkeep and fuel prices have me concerned.

Can anyone give me your thoughts on my situation and should I consider this truck?

Thank you!!

RAM1500.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins
I would not recommend it. They have all kinds of issues with the crank shaft. I’m replacing an engine in mine right now. Do some research online first about ecodiesel engine failures

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would look for a gas truck too. There should be a ton of gas Rams in your region. Unless you are 'into' diesels, which you say you aren't (yet). If you don't know anything about diesel engines, it could be a PITA and cost you (potentially) a bundle going forward. I love diesel engines, they're great for the right applications. That's why I bought a gas truck, lol. The best owner of a used diesel truck is one who loves diesel's, can work on them, has deep pockets, and isn't afraid to spend a bundle (potentially thousands for some engines) to take them apart & sort out the problems to make them 'Bullet-Proof'.

But for a lot of everyday owners diesel engines have a number of shortcomings, for every day local driving, esp if you don't have a factory warranty. And the extra cost of diesel fuel in most areas, and DEF fluid completely erases the economy advantages. But up to you. Just tossing out ideas ...since you asked for feedback. If you were into diesels and love them, didn't mind the potential hassles, I'd say 'go for it!'.

Pro's:
-The engines 'can' run almost forever once they're "bullet-proofed", which can be expensive to get there. Or if you're lucky & get a 'good one' from the beginning.
-Get good fuel economy esp on long drives or long commutes
-Sound neat
-Great low end pulling torque

Con's:
-Weight a lot
-Fuel costs quite a bit more than gasoline (erasing a lot of savings)
-Diesel not always readily available in certain areas and certain stations. When you own a diesel you need to KNOW where the stations are which sell it.
-Take forever to warm up
-Run cool (can result in not-so-good cabin heat ..or take a long time to heat)
-Usually costs a ton to repair (if/when needs fixing), compared to gas engines.
-Not just every mechanic can diagnose diesel problems
-DEF fluid $$
-Usually need to run synthetic oils (and a lot of it). But I guess true for Hemi's.
-Smelly (often)
-Noisy (often, esp when get older)

What did I miss??

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To OP. No hard pass. That is one of the original Ed’s 2nd Gen motors had bunch of issues like Egr leaks. Bad mains. Crankshaft issues. Steer clear.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I personally know 2 people with those P.O.S ECO Diesels that wished they wouldn't of bought it.

Both had engines replaced. Seems like Ram wanted to make an engine thats was a bigger POS than the HEMI and Penstar...lol...

OP
OP
W

waitrain

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your amazing insight. These were the things I was feeling but I needed more and better insight. You all are great. Thanks again!!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins
Thank you everyone for your amazing insight. These were the things I was feeling but I needed more and better insight. You all are great. Thanks again!!
You’re more than welcome. I’m a Ram guy and have been for a long time. If you want a diesel get a Cummins. If you want a 1500 I’d definitely get the hemi. Our business has 3 Cummins trucks and like every one of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat