Question about the DC adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wengang1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all.
I just got my 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 this weekend, and I discovered today that both of the DC adapters (cigarette lighter sockets) only work when the engine is running. I've seen cars where one was always on and one only on when the engine is running, but this is new to me.
I keep my phone and a couple of other items charging periodically in my vehicle, but I won't be able to do that anymore, unless I'm mistaken about this. Anybody know if this is correct, or if it can be easily fixed (I assume by moving a wire to a circuit that's always on)?
Thanks.

Raist11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Usually the two at the dash have a pic on them to show how they are powered. The left one, keyed and the other constant (picture of a battery). If even that one is keyed, it's possible the previous owner rigged it to the key. You could start by getting a look at the wiring to see if something looks non factory. Without knowing what the previous owner did, it's hard to say how to fix it.

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dual position fuse on those. Put the fuse in one way in the holder and they are keyed power. Put them in a different way they are straight battery all the time. Check your manual for specific fuse ovations and directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Dual position fuse on those. Put the fuse in one way in the holder and they are keyed power. Put them in a different way they are straight battery all the time. Check your manual for specific fuse ovations and directions.

Really? Is this true for other outlets on a 2014 as well?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
True for 2013 and up for sure. I would check your owners manual to be sure.

Raist11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yeah I saw this when I looked it up earlier. Results where it didn't work, for the person trying it. In the manual for 2011 where it talks about the power outlets it makes no mention of this ability. Weird.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Are you pulling my leg? This sounds like the time I was told by a Gunnery Sergeant (as a young PFC) to go get him some chem light batteries and 10 inches of flight line from supply.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Raist11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Ahhh, that'd be the problem. Mine and the OP's are 2011's.