Ram hemi issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marksr20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone,

I have been having some issues with my truck and my cousins Ram sport hemi trucks. His is a 13 mine is a 14. He has 90k on the clock and I have 56k. Below are the issues im concerned with (some very minor others not so much).

1) window on drivers side squeeks pretty bad on mine as of lately, my cousins shutters as if its gonna break.

2) just did the brakes on mine and they were absolutely shot after 52k. I dont drive hard with them at all. Just did the brakes on his at 79k and his were shot as well. Both replaced with oem brake kits and perfectly fine now. I wonder why the difference in mileage but he drives on the hwy a bit more than myself. so i am guessing i answered my own question. Does anyone have input on this from experience.

3) I get a small evap leak code every time it rains. Exact same code everytime. I dont have the code p number but the next time it comes up ill put it in here. I have put 3 different gas caps from the dealer on the truck. Everytime i do i dont get a code for 3-4 months then it comes back after it rains. Do the gaskets go on the caps all the time or is my problem something else?

4) Just did the exhaust manifolds on my cousins truck at 89k. He had a broken bolt on the passenger side and i heard an exhaust leak when we did the brakes at 79k. It was only when the truck was cold and started it till it was warmed up. I hear it once in a while on my truck when its cold from the same side of the truck. But its very rare compared to my cousins. Is this a common issue? We used oem parts to replace his manifolds and it was blowing by the gasket slightly.

5) im thinking of getting running boards for my truck. Which ones do you recommend. I love the amp ones but justifying the cost is tough. ANy suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1. Maybe the track needs to be greased.

2. 52k miles on brakes seems normal. City driving will definitely wear brakes faster than highway driving.

3. Sounds like something other than the gas cap.

4. Broken exhaust manifold bolts are a very common issue on the 5.7.

5. I would recommend the Amp power steps. The price is what kept me from getting them, so I got OEM steps. But I really don't like the look of steps. If I were to do it again, I would put up the extra money to get power steps.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Issues aside from the Evap code are all common.

The driver side window are no less beefy than anything else, but this is the window that gets all the use. Just like the driver door hinges will wear out and the rest of the doors hinges will be like new.
Inspect the window tracs and also look for tree **** or other gummy residue that may be contributing to the issue.

Brake ware does not sound premature. On these newer vehicles I do the pads and rotors at the same time. On modern vehicles, brake pads are very aggressive. You can mic the rotors and check if the thickness is within spec, but they can go bad in a number of ways. Rotors usually are not overly expensive, so you can avoid brake worries by changing the rotors out as well, (more likely on FRONT, rear usually isn't an issue).

Leaky exhaust manifolds are common to all brands. Fords and GMs suffer the same and Dodge/Rams. This is a major issue in the rust belt were the salt eats the manifold bolts off the block. The manifolds are not made of the same beefy heavy castings like the old days. Weight savings is the goal. The hot, cold, hot, cold, cycles takes its toll. It causes the bolts to stretch and gaskets to leak. There are lots of cases where the bolts just snap under that stress.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Looks like the first three questions are answered well.

For step bars look at NFab. I've had a pair on the last 3 Rams I've owned and never had a problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990