2014 RAM 1500 5.7L 4X4 Gear Selector Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014CanadianRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Truck is a 2014 and I have owned from new.
Truck only has 62,000 miles.
Overall never had any issues with it. Brakes and bearings.
Truck is SL so gear selector on the steering column. NOT the dial.

Yesterday I was out and stopped. Put the truck in park but did not turn the ignition off.
About 5 minutes later when I went to shift into Drive the gear selector was stuck in park. I then noticed the P was not lit on the dash indicating it was not in park. (The transmission was in Park so something with the sensor)

Used a screwdriver to push the lock override under the column and shift it into drive.
Drove home no issues.
Went out later in the day and truck started and shifted into gear normally.
Went into store and when I came out same thing happened again.

Anyone have any clue what would cause this?

Side note: This may or may not be related but after the first time this happened I drove for about 15 minutes and there was a slight burning smell. Like electrical burning. I may be imagining it, expecting an electrical issue. But my wife said she smelt it as well. I checked under the hood and all connections seem secure and could not see anything out of place.

No warning lights on dash.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm generally pretty good at fixing things myself, for this one I'll be bringing into the mechanic to have a look at but these intermittent problems are always so difficult to diagnose and if I can help him in any way it'd be great. This discussion might also help me decide if I go to the dealer or my regular mechanic.

Thanks

Neomoritate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had the same intermittent issue with my 2014 1500 Tradesman, 193,*** miles. It happens rarely enough, 3 or 4 times in 8 months, that I have not talked to a mechanic about it. There was a hole in the rubber boot at the base of the shifter when I bought the truck, indicating that the manual release has been used many times, but does not seem to have gotten worse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat