Ram or Wrangler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where is Dennis Dillon located??

Near Boise Idaho I think, they seem to cater to folks flying in and picking up vehicles. You may want to search the forum for Dillon for tips.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
op, i have found 4 door wranglers very comfortable. even on long trips. i believe in ocala forest, there are water crossings and some mud to play in. as a daily driver the jeep would be fin and in orlando easier to get around and park.

ptb351

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've owned both over the years.

The RAM will be a hoot to drive and much much more comfortable on the highway.

The Jeep will be more maneuverable off road and had a much better off road transfer case and suspension. Its cute, girls love them.

The Jeep will beat you into submission where the RAM will soak up the bumps for you. The Jeep is a much smaller vehicle, most noticeable in width.

I spend much more of my time on the street, and the short bed short wheelbase RAM V8 is just too much fun. But then it gets old and one want to explore off roading, then off roading gets old and your back into the truck.

The RAM is more value for the $$. You can haul more toys in the RAM.

Do a lot of test drives in each. I think you will find you either figure out a way to do both or you own one for a couple years and then the other for a couple years, bouncing back an forth until you are in a grand cherokee hemi.... :)

Agreed. Before I bought my 14 Ram Crew Cab, I test drove a 4 door Wrangler just to check it out. About 5 minutes into my test drive, my lower back was screaming. As much "fun" as the look, I simply could not handle paying that much money for something that was just so incredibly uncomfortable for me. I bought the ram and have zero regrets.

I also do think that Wranglers are very expensive for what you really get...just my opinion. I got A LOT more truck in the Ram(for less money), and more power, infinitely better ride, etc. Oh, and I can put stuff in the back.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

OP
OP
M

MightyUnclean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you guys know how bad the base wheels and tires look on an Express? It's hard to tell from the build-it pic. I mean, they don't look that awful, just kind of plain.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Problem solved! Get the Ram and save up and pay cash for the jeep. There ya go, no issues.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Get the Jeep. If you don't like it after a year you can trade it in without really losing any money. Wrangler has the highest resale value of all vehicles in the U.S. I've owned both 4DR JKU and 2DR JK. The JKU has a much better on-road ride, plenty of storage, comfortable. The 2DR JK, which I currently own a '12 Rubicon, is a little more jittery on the road, not much storage behind the back seat. But, you can remove the back seat easily. As well as the roof, doors, carpet, seats. Either way, throw a 2.5" lift on and some 12.5" wide tires and it'll be ready for sand all day long.

No freaking way my Ram can keep up with my Wrangler off-road. Don't care what you build a Ram to be, SFA Wranglers and other short wheel base vehicles reign supreme off-road.

And, like I said, resale value on the Wrangler is crazy high. I bought a '10 JKU Sport new for $33k, traded it in '12 for $30k. And it had some battle scars on it. Bought the '12 JK Rubi for $36k and was offered $29k for it by a local dealer while looking at new trucks. They can't keep Wranglers on the lot.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No doubt about the resale value, I paid 6k for a 97 that has a slight lift on it, I've updated the interior a bit and have seen 97s not as nice as mine for 10-12k all over the place. Absolutely love mine especially with the doors off going down the road!:happy107:

Attachments

• IMG_20160803_174637_254.jpg
    IMG_20160803_174637_254.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20160803_185125_303.jpg
    IMG_20160803_185125_303.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20160803_190531_695.jpg
    IMG_20160803_190531_695.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20160803_174712_701.jpg
    IMG_20160803_174712_701.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What Tray said, you might be able to find a older jeep for cheap and have both.

you could get an older one also. my 81 cj7 has a tow bar set up so i can tow it everywhere. to the lease, or the beach. i might be way off here, you might want more comforts in yours.

Luke

Attachments

• lukedukemjeeppics.jpg
    lukedukemjeeppics.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 40

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What Tray said, you might be able to find a older jeep for cheap and have both.

you could get an older one also. my 81 cj7 has a tow bar set up so i can tow it everywhere. to the lease, or the beach. i might be way off here, you might want more comforts in yours.

Luke
I love the CJ's dash, by the way.

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get the Jeep. If you don't like it after a year you can trade it in without really losing any money. Wrangler has the highest resale value of all vehicles in the U.S. I've owned both 4DR JKU and 2DR JK. The JKU has a much better on-road ride, plenty of storage, comfortable. The 2DR JK, which I currently own a '12 Rubicon, is a little more jittery on the road, not much storage behind the back seat. But, you can remove the back seat easily. As well as the roof, doors, carpet, seats. Either way, throw a 2.5" lift on and some 12.5" wide tires and it'll be ready for sand all day long.

No freaking way my Ram can keep up with my Wrangler off-road. Don't care what you build a Ram to be, SFA Wranglers and other short wheel base vehicles reign supreme off-road.

And, like I said, resale value on the Wrangler is crazy high. I bought a '10 JKU Sport new for $33k, traded it in '12 for $30k. And it had some battle scars on it. Bought the '12 JK Rubi for $36k and was offered $29k for it by a local dealer while looking at new trucks. They can't keep Wranglers on the lot.

This. The only other vehicle that has a ridiculous resale is the Tacoma.

sladekos

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500
Engine
Hemi V8
As someone who just sold my JK Rubicon, I understand why some men cry.

I didn't... but I understand it.

Unfortunately, I need something that can tow.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My wife and I are childless so I see where you are coming from. We have owned a Jeep Tj back inn the day ie a brand spanking new 2000 Sahara and it served its purpose which for us was getting through the odd snowstorm with little effort. Even though we managed to get the true employees pricing (uncle helped with that) the Jeep is a very expensive product mind you when selling I did very well on that end.

We have owned 3 RAM rcsb, a 2010 rcsb Sport 4x4. a 2014 rcsb Sport 4x4 and lastly the 2015 rcsb R/T. If I had to pick between the Jeep and the rcsb Hemi 4x4 it would be the RAM. Obviously comparing the two is an apple to oranges thing, I can't give you exact reasons for my decision but as mentioned it would be the RAM. Good luck with your decision and keep us in the loop.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
there is nothing like a jeep in the summer with top down. i had to have both.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
according to the internet,you can't off road in a truck :****sweak:,but it's way more practical,so get the ram and save up for an atv.as for jeep resale,of course it's high.have you seen what they want for a new one? who would spend that much for a truck that you need to basically strip down and rebuild to do any technical offroading?although i have seen a few that never see dirt that someone has spent a crapload of $ in aftermarket parts.but we all know who/what that guy is.

Last edited: