To buy or not to uy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are two parts to this equation...the vehicle and YOU.

I've seen this happen many times when the initial appraisal of just a couple of issues turns out to uncover other previously unidentified problems. Once you start on the repair path you might get to the point that you no longer feel the vehicle has enough value to warrant further repairs and you've invested more money and time than you'll ever get out of it.

So how tolerant are you if you find yourself going down the rabbit hole and one issue leads to another?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 107511 miles.

OP
OP
H

Hangard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
There are two parts to this equation...the vehicle and YOU.

I've seen this happen many times when the initial appraisal of just a couple of issues turns out to uncover other previously unidentified problems. Once you start on the repair path you might get to the point that you no longer feel the vehicle has enough value to warrant further repairs and you've invested more money and time than you'll ever get out of it.

So how tolerant are you if you find yourself going down the rabbit hole and one issue leads to another?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 107511 miles.
I suppose that is part of what brought me here. Or trying to avoid a pitfall like that.
Never having seen this code or knowing it existed I felt that I had to get some knowledge before taking a leap.

I often recall a piece of a article I read in Hot Rod magazine back in the 80's : It's just cast Iron, It is not smarter than you are. . . .
So I don't let a mechanical problem outsmart me. Sure sometimes it takes more than a couple minutes to learn, but the answer is out there.
Most of the time I don't have to have total understanding of how it works. The designer knows and if it is put back together the intended way often that is enough. The worm holes that automatic transmission valve bodies bolt to and the gearing of the planetary set still make my head spin. How a 48RE can take all that torque is a mystery to me as I don't need to fully understand that to take it apart and put it back together again - if I do it as the designer intended it to function.

I suppose I was wondering if the design was durable. If it could take the abuse of poor quality oil without being so worn down in some unexpected way that opened that rabbit hole and now I needed a bottom end build or some other similarly costly (time and money both) repair.

On reading about that oil pump it seems a good bit of design went into that. variable pressure, variable size chambers for hot or cold, solenoid for pressure control based on RPM,etc. Some serious thought was put into that. It should be a durable design. But then most things manufactured today are good. Some are not so robust and are designed on the minimum side for weight, cost and use of material and that can make them less durable to poor maintenance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517