Soaked inside. Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
Hey guys,
Last night we got 5 inches of rain and on the drive home there were some stranded cars with water past there door. Long story short, I ended up soaking my driver floorboard and seat. I don't mean rain, I mean a person wearing jeans lays on the road under water to hook up a chain kind of wet and then gets back in the truck.

I have leather seats and have been running the heaters trying to dry it out so what's next?
Can't garage it and it's still raining. Thinking I am going to crack the windows and turn on the heat full blast. Will put a tarp over to keep more rain out. My Windows have water on the inside and I vacuumed as much out as I could out of the floor I am worried about the electronics and could use advice from anyone else who has soaked their rigs.

And before we get to the smart comments
1) no towel available to cover seat last night
2) was not in a position to strip before getting in the truck
3) slush mats worked great, but they can only hold so much water so weather tech wouldn't of made to much of a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
Thank you. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. My badge needs some heavy polish now lol.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Just keep trying to dry the interior but if you find that you still have a lot of moisture in the cab then I would pick up a bag of desiccant and pour it into a bowl so it can absorb the additional moisture which will allow the cab to dry faster since there's less humidity.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yep, you're on a good track... the key is air movement so crack the windows as much as possible. If tarping is a possibility it would help since you could open the windows more. Without the air movement the heated/evaporated water will just re-condense on the windows and other surfaces.

OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
Thanks all. I pulled it in the garage and have the door open now. There is a fan blowing in on it with the windows cracked. I need to move it back outside becuase it doesn't fit the the garage 100% so since I am awake I have the door resting in my bed. We will see. My Silverado had a recall due to sensors in the floor that would corrode and I wasn't sure about the ram. Couldn't believe how much water that carpet took on! Felt good to help some people, but that water F'd my finish on the badge so some polishing will be taking place later and the seat/floor is soaked. No wonder so many people just drive around.

danam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 4WD SLT Quad Cab
Engine
4.7l
Im glad you got air on it and fans for the dry out. It might cost a little gas but maybe running the defrost or air might help too for like 30 minutes a few times.

Good luck bro, sounds like everything is gonna be fine.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yep you need to keep air on it. if you have a steam cleaner it can also suck some of the water out but i'd be careful using it on leather

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, a good samaritan, sacrifice your truck to help a few people out. Only the tow truck drivers do this in Houston (for a high price...).

Generally your only choices are to open the doors and point a fan at it, or remove the seats and carpet and let everything dry. If you got the truck fully soaked, it can take a long time for the carpet to dry. If it's only wet around the drivers area, you might be able to remove the sill cover and lift the carpet up enough to allow it to dry.

OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
Thanks CheeryRed. I just turned it off after running full heat for 40 minutes. Tomorrow I will pull it back in and remove the door sill and point the fan back at it. Didn't think about trying that

Nekozame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might also want to throw your AC on as it removes moisture from the air. Lower humidity in truck will help draw moisture from seats.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just keep trying to dry the interior but if you find that you still have a lot of moisture in the cab then I would pick up a bag of desiccant and pour it into a bowl so it can absorb the additional moisture which will allow the cab to dry faster since there's less humidity.

Meh, desiccant's the expensive way to do it, IMHO, OP, park the truck in a warm garage (or whatever space you can) with all the windows rolled down so heat can go through and moist air can escape and completely cover the floor area in rice, same as you do to rescue a drowned cell-phone. The rice will naturally absorb the moisture. If'n ya'll wanna get fancy, throw in some cedar chips from a local woodworks to absorb more as well as neutralize any odors that may develop.

Keep doing this for about a month, don't be afraid to pull the carpet once things are drier and throw some rice and cedar under there for a week or so.

Just be sure to remove the rice and throw it out after a week so it doesn't start to mildew/mold, and the family doesn't try to eat it.

:D

Ox1500Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to Wally World ... look in the RV section ... get two jugs of HiCapacity DampRid ... close them up inside the truck ... let them do their thing.

p3082746dt.jpg

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My advise would be to strip out as much as the interior as possible. Remove , let the cabin dry, once dried spray some gun spray oil all over metal areas and inside cavities. Then if need be replace carpet then refit interior seats and such.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
Alright all, update:
But first, thank you to everyone who commented on this thread.

Second, after running the AC, Heater, Heated Seats, leaving it in the garage with a fan blowing on it, shoving towels in places..., using a propane heater behind the fan (its 40 here) and finally, lifting the carpet and adding damp rid containers in the truck; it appears that everything is dry.

I am going to pull the carpet up in a couple of months and check for rust or corrosion, but for now, THANK YOU... THANK YOU ALL

Logan aka Saint