Some of these problems got me thinking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

parkersdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel
I see quite a few posts about problems on forums. I have a new diesel truck and have been reading the owners manual. I have learned lots of things that I did not know that could cause problems down the road. First thing I did not know is you're supposed to cool down your turbos especially after putting them under a load. I wonder how many of these problems that we see on the forums have to do with neglect and not reading the owners manual over the actual workmanship of the truck? I'm not knocking anyone just asking a valid question.

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say probably more than a few problems are self inflicted wounds. When I drove truck (18 wheeler), we had a timer on the dash you could set that would let the truck idle for a bit then shut down.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That may be true for a turbo problem, but there are a lot of other problems reported like tranny & electrical. Keep in mind with the amount of trucks sold, the problems reported here represent a miniscule percentage. Still sux when its your truck having a problem.

That said, maybe because I'm old school, I think the trucks have too many electronic bells and whistles to really be reliable for the long haul.

These trucks are all computerized and, like any computer, very sensitive to proper voltages. A couple tenths of a volt can cause odd problerms. That's why a power supply for a good computer is so expensive.

I try to never turn my truck off with anything left on. I turn off wipers, radio, blower for heat/ac, etc always before turning the truck off.

I also disable the delay settings for everything. Headlights, accessories, etc. No need to leave them on once I park my truck IMO. Even for a second.

So far no trouble with my truck. Hope it stays that way.

DublDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The turbo thing is a biggy. To me the cooling down of a turbo was just common sense, but I've looked at a lot of used vehicles with a turbo(s), and when i asked the owner how long he would let the turbo cool after driving, I usually got a really blank look. Needless to say I did not purchase those particular vehicles. Not many people do it, but I truly believe it's a good idea to go through the owners manual when buying a new vehicle.

OP
OP
P

parkersdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel
That may be true for a turbo problem, but there are a lot of other problems reported like tranny & electrical. Keep in mind with the amount of trucks sold, the problems reported here represent a miniscule percentage. Still sux when its your truck having a problem.

That said, maybe because I'm old school, I think the trucks have too many electronic bells and whistles to really be reliable for the long haul.

These trucks are all computerized and, like any computer, very sensitive to proper voltages. A couple tenths of a volt can cause odd problerms. That's why a power supply for a good computer is so expensive.

I try to never turn my truck off with anything left on. I turn off wipers, radio, blower for heat/ac, etc always before turning the truck off.

I also disable the delay settings for everything. Headlights, accessories, etc. No need to leave them on once I park my truck IMO. Even for a second.

So far no trouble with my truck. Hope it stays that way.

That is another reason to buy the Tradesman

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is another reason to buy the Tradesman

It was the reason I passed on the Laramie when buying my truck. Didn't feel I needed heated steering wheel, auto dimming high beams, etc, etc, etc. Kept picturing myself trying to get it started when its 6-8 years old. LOL

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I can see neglect causing some issues. But there's no excuse for the route all trucks have taken. They're too sensitive with all the electronics and such. Truck should just work, period. I shouldn't need to worry about do this, or doing that. Just change fluids and perishable parts when needed, and drive when needed. That's how trucks should be built.

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Off topic. Are you Parker's Dad as in the youtube videos/"documentary"?

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
I think a lot of why we see so many problems is due to the information we provide. Essentially, a lot of people don't join the forum until they have a problem and then post about the problem they have hoping to find an answer. I'd think you'd find a much higher percentage of the population with issues with their new truck on here than you would see over all, due to this. That and I think the catch can is breaking everyones truck, just bustin balls.