Someone at dealership dented my truck and deleted the video.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your camera did activate and they did actively delete the video Id still be mad regardless of them fixing it. I know some cameras will run only when certain criteria are met and maybe the dent wasn't enough to trigger it?

If it was though Id still beat the person who deleted the video almost to death with a small smooth rock even though it was fixed based on principal.

My camera records unless I stop it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your camera did activate and they did actively delete the video Id still be mad regardless of them fixing it.

Me too, The dent doesn't bother me as much since that is a simple fix, its the cover up and entering my property to delete the evidence.

The dealership isn't necessarily the one to blame but they definitely have a bad egg in the bunch. There are many very likely scenarios that could be, and we could play the what if game all day but they fixed the damage and hopefully they will clean house or maybe already have... Its the best they can do and the best one can get, fixing your truck is your part of the deal and how they handle their employees is theirs. but either way I'd still be pissed about the cover up and deleting files from my personal property.
I look at that as no different than removing property from m truck while it is in the dealership, to me its theft but as bgray said, life it too short. But if it happens again then that's when to make a big stink.

chrism1367

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say still try and get the video, try VLC player, it has played bad files for me in the past. Just for some closure. It would get under my skin that someone entered my truck and did that

Raminwil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram LongHorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am glad you got it fixed but did you ever see the video... because if it was them its not the point they fixed it. The dented your car and then purposely deleted the evidence.. i would rage hell even if they fixed it.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't go back to that dealership tho! Can't be trusted. Glad it worked out.

The Dealer did the right thing to ensure customer satisfaction and that is what counts and if I was the OP I'd have no problems taking my truck there. If the dealer wanted to have a screw you attitude the OP would have had little or no chance to prevail.

Ed loves guns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But would they stay silent had he not noticed

Exactly. Im glad OP got the truck fixed but the fact that this happened would keep me from returning to that dealership. What happens when you get the same guy (who pulled your memory card out of your camera, put it in his computer, rifled through the contents, deleted files and then put the card back assuming you wouldn't notice) to actually work on your truck next time you take it in for something? Unless one of the managers sat down with me and discussed the removal of that employee from the company, I would find a different dealership.

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Exactly. Im glad OP got the truck fixed but the fact that this happened would keep me from returning to that dealership. What happens when you get the same guy (who pulled your memory card out of your camera, put it in his computer, rifled through the contents, deleted files and then put the card back assuming you wouldn't notice) to actually work on your truck next time you take it in for something? Unless one of the managers sat down with me and discussed the removal of that employee from the company, I would find a different dealership.

The files can be deleted directly on the camera. They really should make a passcode to delete files on these cameras

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2383e38b44a6f1cd66a62048ef490d23.jpg

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
How would a dash cam prove that a door ding was caused by someone? Mine points through the windshield, forward... And my doors are behind the vehicle, on the sides. I would guess your truck is the same?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Glad you got it fixed, any time I take my truck to a shop I do a walk around and check the whole truck for any dents or scratches before I leave the parking lot.

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How would a dash cam prove that a door ding was caused by someone? Mine points through the windshield, forward... And my doors are behind the vehicle, on the sides. I would guess your truck is the same?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It was in the whole time I was in the dealership for instances like what happened to me. If anything happens there is audio and video even if it wasn't in frame it still could have caught the very distinct sound and vibration of the door hitting something or something hitting the door. Not to mention what was said after they did the damage. Like "oh ****" or "**** he has a camera". Whatever my camera caught was enough to make someone go as far as figure out how to navigate my camera menu and delete the video. I also back in to all my parking spots and leave the camera on when it won't be in my site so I can catch a video of anyone that did damage to my car. Like plate number faces car type etc. dash cams have saved my ass 3 times now they're very effective. One at work in my semi when someone road raged with me then called my company passing blame on me. A deer strike and a physical altercation. I will never go without a dash cam again especially in my field of work.

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Im not gonna lie it's clearly wrong all this over something minor but the dealership needs to make it clear to OP that this was isolated incident and the necessary measures were taken to ensure something like this never happens again......... It's crazy that they fixed it but if u are made aware that the guilty party was then terminated it's like it never happened.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Glad your issue was resolved to your satisfaction. No Ram looks good with dents or dings in them.

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It was in the whole time I was in the dealership for instances like what happened to me. If anything happens there is audio and video even if it wasn't in frame it still could have caught the very distinct sound and vibration of the door hitting something or something hitting the door. Not to mention what was said after they did the damage. Like "oh ****" or "**** he has a camera". Whatever my camera caught was enough to make someone go as far as figure out how to navigate my camera menu and delete the video. I also back in to all my parking spots and leave the camera on when it won't be in my site so I can catch a video of anyone that did damage to my car. Like plate number faces car type etc. dash cams have saved my ass 3 times now they're very effective. One at work in my semi when someone road raged with me then called my company passing blame on me. A deer strike and a physical altercation. I will never go without a dash cam again especially in my field of work.

I agree and have a dash cam too. It was rolling when I was rear ended, and even though it did not show the accident directly, it showed that the traffic on the hwy was at a stop and I had been at a complete stop for 5 or 6 seconds before the collision. I am just a little dubious about the chances of the cam picking up anything definitive or provable in an automotive shop with hoods and doors being slammed, pneumatic tools, and the other loud noises. I agree that the files being erased is suspicious, but certainly not proof in itself. It would be questioned as evidence if you had to go to court as you would have to prove who erased them. If you ever do recover the files and there is a "smoking gun" on them, then I'd take that to the dealer and see what they intend to do with the person/s involved.
Glad that your truck got fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree and have a dash cam too. It was rolling when I was rear ended, and even though it did not show the accident directly, it showed that the traffic on the hwy was at a stop and I had been at a complete stop for 5 or 6 seconds before the collision. I am just a little dubious about the chances of the cam picking up anything definitive or provable in an automotive shop with hoods and doors being slammed, pneumatic tools, and the other loud noises. I agree that the files being erased is suspicious, but certainly not proof in itself. It would be questioned as evidence if you had to go to court as you would have to prove who erased them. If you ever do recover the files and there is a "smoking gun" on them, then I'd take that to the dealer and see what they intend to do with the person/s involved.
Glad that your truck got fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It didn't go into the shop it was in for just plastic film it went around back to be looked at into the wash bay and back to me. Never entered their shop. Which is why it was strange it took them 2 hours when it never entered the shop. And the waiting room has a clear view of the entire shop and I was looking for it to come in and it never did.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So, did you get the files to play? Whatever you do, don't reinsert the SD into your dashcam until you are done trying to retrieve data.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: my service advisor from this whole incident just called me. He has credited me 200 dollars on my maintenance account with them. I can use it on maintenance or truck accessories. Definitely wasn't expecting that at all.