2014 1500 at the dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My 2014 1500 4X4 with 5.7 with 91,000 miles is now at the dealership for repair. Has check engine light a fuel sensor problem. Had to approve a 999.00 estimate for the diagnosis even though I have a lifetime maxcare warranty. Had to approve the diagnostic estimate in case maxcare does not cover the repairs. Sure hope the warrant covers the problems I’m having.

Just wondering if anyone else had these problems and if it was covered by warranty ?

thanks, Stony

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2014 1500 fuel sensor failed causing the gas gauge to permanently show empty, no CEL that I recall.

I was advised they would diagnose the sensor and pump separately, and the pump was good so I just paid for the sensor replacement. No warranty.
I'm currently at about 106,000 miles and this was a couple years ago. I don't recall the cost, only that it would have been almost double if they had to replace the pump too.

Good luck.

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had same issue. The sending unit contact wears. It was a simple DIY job. I dropped the tank and went ahead and replaced the entire fuel pump assembly. The dealer is going to try and screw you and claim it is a wear item. Good luck

OP
OP
S

stony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
UPDATE: dealer will replace fuel pump under Maxcare life time warranty. Regarding check engine light they said was due to aftermarket locking gas cap ( code is P0441 ) just wondering if that’s possible ? Any input would be appreciated. Stony

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
UPDATE: dealer will replace fuel pump under Maxcare life time warranty. Regarding check engine light they said was due to aftermarket locking gas cap ( code is P0441 ) just wondering if that’s possible ? Any input would be appreciated. Stony
do you still have the original gas cap ? If so, put it back on for awhile and see if that eliminates the check engine light.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The fuel sensor will trip a CEL, mine did. It would cut out and stop registering between 3/4 and full. Got worse and worse until it quit altogether.

I bought a pump assembly and kept putting it off until I missed my gas stop, and tried to make the next one.

Nope, ran out of gas 1/2 mile before my exit on a bridge, coasted all the way and stopped on the offramp. Had to walk a couple tenths to the truck stop and buy a small can and gas.

Needless to say, the pump got swapped that weekend.....lol

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
My CEL comes on between 3/4 and full and then goes out again between 1/2 and 3/4. Sometimes the gauge drops to zero (empty) for a moment but, as soon as the truck moves, it comes back. I had been clearing the codes with Alfa OBD but since it seems to clear itself, I've let it go. The local dealer quoted $1,362 to replace the fuel pump assembly. Cost $175 for the diagnostic check. As I understand it, the stand alone Mopar fuel sensor is no longer available so they will only replace the entire fuel pump assembly that includes the sensor. Since I don't have a spare $1,362 laying around (who does?) and the sensor is only intermittent for now, I'm holding off on doing anything. Also, I don't have any extended warranty so, obviously, it's my cost to do the fix.

Also, dropping the fuel tank (which is required for this replacement) is not as easy as some of the You Tubers and others on this site make it out to be. You've got to be young, strong and patient and I only have 1 of those 3 things (youth and strength aren't the ones and really, I'm not all that patient either).

BTW, a few years ago I had a problem with critters (squirrels, mice, chipmunks?) chewing my fuel system (hoses, tank connections) and the truck threw the following codes (based on the dealer scan)

P0441 Evap purge system performance
P0457 Evap system - loose fuel cap
P0456 Evap system small leak
P0460-15 Fuel level sensor 1 - circuit short to battery or open

The aove included the following comment "found that it has a bad fuel level sensor and something was eating the fuel vent hose to canister and fuel tank vent. will need new fuel tank, vent hose and fuel level sensor"

They replaced the fuel tank, fuel pump level, vent hose from fuel tank to canister. Total cost back then (2020) was a little over $1,700. That included $185 for the level sensor, $880 for the fuel tank and $60 for the vent tube plus $495 labor plus tax brought it to the $1,700 total.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My truck turns on a fuel sensor code everytime it drops below 100 miles to empty,been doing it since 2016,and it's never bothered me,it goes out as soon as i fill it back up,or even put a gallon or 2 in the tank

djhartm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aftermarket locking caps caused a CEL on my 2014 as well.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck turns on a fuel sensor code everytime it drops below 100 miles to empty,been doing it since 2016,and it's never bothered me,it goes out as soon as i fill it back up,or even put a gallon or 2 in the tank

Mine comes on at about 100 to go also.
I did a test one time to actually see what would happen if it hit 0 to go and then kept a 5 gal.can in the back just in case..some other light or message came on at 0.....I kept driving for another 80 miles before I decided I better put some gas in it...pumped 29 gal.in a 32 gallon tank...I also pretty much ignore it when the light comes on.
I fill up once a week whether I need to or not...usually about 10- 12 gallons.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat