Tire pressure gauge suddenly complaining - why now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kgirot58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
My tires have been at the same pressure since I purchased it last year. Front about 60 and rear about 65. Suddenly the pressure gauge is complaining every time I start the truck, saying it should have 75 pounds. I have a dog box in the bed, but that has been there the entire time. Nothing has changed. Why would it start complaining now?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What is your current pressure?

Colder weather can make the tire pressure drop a bit and you may be just close enough to the minimum.

Have you had any updates done to your truck at the dealer, i.e. computer flashes?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
^^^^^what head said. The colder nights make mine on my Car one day be good then all the sudden be low.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Outside temp can suck down a tire pressure in amazing way. Even after you heat them up they still lose some pressure sometimes.

Coop427

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cold weather, PV=nRT. n is the number of moles, R is Avagadro's constant so those two numbers don't change. So as temperature (T) goes down, pressure or volume goes down. And as the volume of your tire won't change, the pressure is the only thing that can decrease. So big changes in temp will make your TPMS recognize a big drop in if you don't get a warning, always check your tire pressure after the first cold spell arrives.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cold weather, PV=nRT. n is the number of moles, R is Avagadro's constant so those two numbers don't change. So as temperature (T) goes down, pressure or volume goes down. And as the volume of your tire won't change, the pressure is the only thing that can decrease. So big changes in temp will make your TPMS recognize a big drop in if you don't get a warning, always check your tire pressure after the first cold spell arrives.

didn't need to use science...all ya had to say is shrinkage occurs when it gets cold......

Bfazona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cold weather, driving around induced heat. I would add air when they are cold and go from there. Usually 10° of temp = roughly 1 pound of air pressure loss/gain

OP
OP
kgirot58

kgirot58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
What is your current pressure?

Colder weather can make the tire pressure drop a bit and you may be just close enough to the minimum.

Have you had any updates done to your truck at the dealer, i.e. computer flashes?

No updates or flashes. Currently the rear is 65 and gauge says it should be 75. I'm in Florida and it's not cold enough to cause a 10 pound drop. I'll fill it to stop it from complaining, no sweat. The question is why it decided to start complaining at 10 pounds light. Is that the threshold? Seems it would start complaining at a much smaller threshold, say two or three pounds.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depending where in Florida we had a 30 degree night Sunday. From the normal 70's thats a significant change to get those TPMS angry

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Normal winter thing. This is why new vehicles have this technology. There's too many people that don't feel the need to understand how basic chemistry affects their lives. Rotate your own tires sometime and you'll have the same problem until you set the pressures in the tires to the door sticker.