Troubleshooting a couple issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well Gents,

I'm not 100% happy. Driving back south from Denver yesterday the truck has a couple really strange hard shifts with the cruise control on. Like it went from converter locked in 5th down to third, and it really felt like it SLAMMED into gear HARD. Anyone else had any issues with strange hard shifts?

Also, my damned drivers seat squeaks. I know I'm not the smallest guy 6'4 260#s but I've never ridden in a vehicle with a squeaky seat. Obviously the truck has 1500 miles on it, and is still fully warrantied, but the dealer is 100 miles away. I don't want to deal with that if I don't have too.

ideas?

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Were you rolling up a slight grade when the down shift happened? It sounds like it shifted from 5th to 3rd. The seat just needs a little grease.

OP
OP
WhiteExpress

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, it was while going up a fairly steep grade. But it was pulling up it just fine in 5th, then SLAM, high revs. It was strange / annoying.

The seat squeak sounds like an old plastic piece being flexed. or something isn't tightened all the way. I'm going to get under it with some tools this evening. It's getting more frequent and thus more annoying!

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a typical Dodge craptastic shift. The programming for our trans is very poor. It will hold in 5th until the bitter end and then give you that nice shift you saw.

OP
OP
WhiteExpress

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well that is flipping annoying as hell. My ol 1500 (2000) has never done that **** to me.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
it sucks to have to do, but might be able to avoid that shift by putting it in tow/haul before the steep inclines

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhiteExpress

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's not all a bad idea. Truthfully, I don't think you're really supposed to leave cruise control on in hilly areas at all. I sure do love that it knocks it down a gear to hold speed going down a hill though. Smart Truck!

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Also it seems on my truck, even with the supertastic Superchips trans tuning, the trans holds 5th gear much longer with cruise enabled than it does without.