33” tire reprogram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

21SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You would think if you went to a 33” tire the dealership would be able to reprogram your speedo and shift points since that tire size is available on our truck. Am I right or no? Or they can do it but probably won’t!! Has anyone been successful having the dealership reprogram their tire size?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You would think if you went to a 33” tire the dealership would be able to reprogram your speedo and shift points since that tire size is available on our truck. Am I right or no? Or they can do it but probably won’t!! Has anyone been successful having the dealership reprogram their tire size?

You might be able to sell a dealership on including that tweak, if you buy a set of tires from them, although, I've never heard anyone speak of this.

I adjusted my tire sizes using AlfaOBD and an old TomTom GPS unit. AlfaOBD has many other tweaks for our trucks too.

Have a look at the AlfaOBD thread if you're curious.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Most dealer programming or reprogramming on newer vehicles is done based upon their VIN - which has specific features and options associated with it.

Since your vehicle was not originally optioned with the 33-inch tires, a dealer probably could not program your vehicle’s computer to show it has 33-inch tires (and make the necessary adjustments for the speedometer, odometer and shift points).

I would also suspect that much larger tires would affect the ABS and stability control systems too.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think if you found the right dealer , they could take care of what you want easily. However it’s finding the right dealer, they may be out there . Maybe contact an off-road 4x4 shop , they might have the equipment since it’s something they probably use often.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think if you found the right dealer , they could take care of what you want easily. However it’s finding the right dealer, they may be out there . Maybe contact an off-road 4x4 shop , they might have the equipment since it’s something they probably use often.

That's a great idea.

One of the aftermarket parts/tire stores I used to use for my Tundra, bought a Toyota Techstream unit to access Toyotas.

Some jobber parts place, offroad shop, or tire shop is likely to have AlfaOBD for tweaking FCA vehicles too.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If a person has the 'right' scan tool, or knows someone who does, it's as simple as navigating to the Tire/Wheel section of the scan tool, and selecting the size tire/wheel from the drop down list.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What size did your truck come with? The 275 60 20 is a 33 and the 275 55 20 is a 32. It looks like your truck is a classic so if it came with the 20" wheels it came with 33s. A lot of 33x12.50 tires are closer to 32.5 though so either way you're probably not far off as is.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What size did your truck come with? The 275 60 20 is a 33 and the 275 55 20 is a 32. It looks like your truck is a classic so if it came with the 20" wheels it came with 33s. A lot of 33x12.50 tires are closer to 32.5 though so either way you're probably not far off as is.

That's a good point.

The OP might want to look at the tire manufacturers spec to see how close the tire circumference spec is to the original tires that came on the truck.

The tire manufacturer will spec all the dimensional sizes and the revolutions/mile.

Or, there are many online tire calculators.

I used my winter wheels for 1.5 winter seasons before fixing the 2.5 mph error. I just added the difference in my head. LOL

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The various choices of tire/wheel packages (hence different tire sizes) actually resides within your truck's computer software. It's there...you just need the software tool to access and allow it to be changed.

But because your (OP) truck is 2018 and newer it'll take a dealer scan tool, or 3rd party software/tool and a Secure Gateway Access (SGA) component to allow a user into the TIPM (computer). The reason for that is security. There was a famous video published on youtube back 11 or so yrs ago where hackers demonstrated how they hacked into a Jeep G/C (real-time..at the time) in CA, and took over remotely. Locks/brakes/other functions/maybe steering??. It rocked mfgrs and Chrysler wisely added a layer of security/safety. But for home mechanics it also means a little more work to work-in a SGA device. But after that a scan tool, like a Snap-on tool, for example, or another scan tool, can access the data and make changes. I'm just putting it out there to give a somewhat understanding of what and why..
:cheers:

Last edited:
OP
OP
21SilverRam

21SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
265/70/17 with E rated tires

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A 265/70R17 tire has an approximate height, also known as the overall diameter, of 31.7 inches (804 mm). This height can vary slightly depending on the brand and model of the tire, as well as the amount of air pressure in the tire

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You would think if you went to a 33” tire the dealership would be able to reprogram your speedo and shift points since that tire size is available on our truck. Am I right or no?
If memory serves me correctly, there have been a few people reporting that dealerships are limited to OEM tire sizes for the vehicle. As someone else mentioned it comes down to whether the dealership is willing to adjust the wheel size. It possible to change the speedo adjustment with AlfaOBD and there is plug in modules like Taser that can calibrate the speedo for non-factory tire sizes also.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
33's are within the computer selection. That's the easy way to do it.

As was suggested a couple times in previous posts, If the OP has the desire and some computer skills (or knows a kid, neighbor, etc who does). Just buy the AlfaOBD software, an OBD device/cable like the MX Plus (Amazon), and connect in a SGA (search on this forum or Youtube how to do it). Then he can do it cheaper than a dealer would charge and have the software for any future issues/customizing ...or read codes and do troubleshooting, etc. Works on some other Chrysler vehicles too.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
265/70/17 with E rated tires
In a bfg all terrain the difference between the two 265/70-17 and a 33 12.50 -17 is roughly ,8 inch height and revs per mile is 657 vs 640 a roughly 2.5% difference. So at 100 mph you'd actually be just shy of 103 on the 33s. Not enough to be concerned, but as said there are ways to change if you have the will. As it happens the stock 275 60 20 is actually a taller tire and 630 revs per mile so roughly 1.5% off the other way.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I seem to remember, that Discount Tire once told me that the difference between a 20" tire from a company like General & my Michelins , would measure to be 3 miles off per 100 mile drive

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I seem to remember, that Discount Tire once told me that the difference between a 20" tire from a company like General & my Michelins , would measure to be 3 miles off per 100 mile drive

Yup, the online tire size calculators are only a guesstimate.

The tire manufacturer's spec is better.

The best method to calibrate the speedo is using AlfaOBD with an old standalone GPS and a calculator.

It all depends on how well your medication is working or not working, for the importance of the accuracy.

What's the point of a speedo if it's only close to the true velocity. :cool:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Even worn vs new makes a big difference. Closest you'll get is using the tire manufacturers rotations per mile

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reyzapien88