Offsett wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Im thinking about throwing on some 20x10 or 20x12 offsett wheels on my truck. I have a 3/5 drop. What offset will i need to avoid rubbing issues?

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What size tire, and since alot of guys rub with the 20x9's and a 305 I'd assume you would too depending on the BS and offset combo. I am assuming you also mean negative offset and the one place you may get the most rubbing or contact is at the inner fender at firewall, fender lip where it crowns and at the bumper lip at the front. all depends on tire size too.

I have somewhere around a 3-5 drop with stock R/T wheels and I am damn close to contacting the fender lip where it crowns if I was 1/2" out farther with my offset I would be creating all sorts of body damage

OP
OP
S

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
What size tire, and since alot of guys rub with the 20x9's and a 305 I'd assume you would too depending on the BS and offset combo. I am assuming you also mean negative offset and the one place you may get the most rubbing or contact is at the inner fender at firewall, fender lip where it crowns and at the bumper lip at the front. all depends on tire size too.

I have somewhere around a 3-5 drop with stock R/T wheels and I am damn close to contacting the fender lip where it crowns if I was 1/2" out farther with my offset I would be creating all sorts of body damage

I rub now with 305 50 20 on the fender liner right behind the shock mount. On nittos website it says the 305 50 20 tread is wider than a 305 40 22. Since the wheels are being pushed away from the truck due to negative offset i wondered where else it might rub.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the outside of the fender itself is where i ment. If you are close the the firewall when wheels are turned you will be closer with pushing the wheel out farther too

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
On the outside of the fender itself is where i ment. If you are close the the firewall when wheels are turned you will be closer with pushing the wheel out farther too

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Can avoid it by running a 275 50 20 or a 285 45 22? I just dont know if the tire height or wheel offset is the problem.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
You wont fit a 20x12 wheel in the fender. My track wheels are 15x10 with 6.5" back space, and they still stick out of the rear fenders. 20x9 is as wide as you can go without having them stick out.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stock R/T height is 285/45/22...

This may sound odd to do but its what I do when trying to find wheel tire conflicts on a vehicle, I will make a blank out of wood and cardboard.

Make a center blank, out of 1/4" or 3/8" plywood make sure it is all centered when you drill out the center bore and lug bolts. also make a wood spacer that you can screw that disc blank to that you actually bolt to the wheel studs. that spacer made from plywood stacked together or whatever is actually the depth of the wheel offset, then take a thin piece of flexible cardboard long enough to match the circumference of the tire. The center blank that is the same diameter of the wheel plus tire with the cardboard the with and circumference of the tire attached to it will let you know where the problems are...

If you want to get crazier you can take out your spring and shock to cycle the suspension also to find more conflicts if any

Hopefully that made sense, I type through it fast since I'm dicking off at work and need to get back to it :roflsquared:

OP
OP
S

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
You wont fit a 20x12 wheel in the fender. My track wheels are 15x10 with 6.5" back space, and they still stick out of the rear fenders. 20x9 is as wide as you can go without having them stick out.

I want them to stick out. Thats why i said negative offset wheels.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
How far do you want them to stick out? At 10" wide with a 6.5" backspace, mine stick out about 3/4". I also had to cut my inside fender liner because the tire was touching it on the back side of the wheel.

OP
OP
S

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
How far do you want them to stick out? At 10" wide with a 6.5" backspace, mine stick out about 3/4". I also had to cut my inside fender liner because the tire was touching it on the back side of the wheel.

Not sure. Its the same wheels meant for lifted trucks.