New to the Community - 1st RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajkg1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone. I have longed to have a pickup for year, and last week I got my dream. I just purchased a 2009 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi w/ 4x4. So far it has been everything I hoped for. I want to make sure that I am taking care of my RAM the best way possible and have been reading documentation for days, but have some real world application questions. Any information is helpful so thanks in advance:

1. My gear shifter is by the steering wheel with P R N D -/+ ... How and when do I utilize "-/+" properly? Can I shift from D to -/+ while moving or should I come to a complete stop first? I do live in the mountains (Asheville NC) and 7% grade hills are a thing in my life.

2. I have a rotary dial for 2wd 4wd and 4wd Lo. Is the 2wd option also 4wd auto? Can I change between these modes while in motion or should I be at a complete stop first?

3. As I said I live in the mountains, what are your driving tips for going up and down mountains (paved roads) including up to 7% grades?

4. What other advice might you have for a first time RAM owner?

Thanks!

WillO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My first piece of advice is to post pictures of your new truck! Welcome

OP
OP
A

ajkg1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Believe it or not, I bought the truck while a big snow storm rolled through the mountains, so my truck has been covered in salt, I am waiting to take pictures of it ... I have been rinsing off the salt daily though, doing the best I can ... Pictures will be added this weekend!

texasrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ditto on the pictures! Welcome from southeast Texas where I am so glad we don't get our roads salted as it never snows. Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everyone. I have longed to have a pickup for year, and last week I got my dream. I just purchased a 2009 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi w/ 4x4. So far it has been everything I hoped for. I want to make sure that I am taking care of my RAM the best way possible and have been reading documentation for days, but have some real world application questions. Any information is helpful so thanks in advance:

1. My gear shifter is by the steering wheel with P R N D -/+ ... How and when do I utilize "-/+" properly? Can I shift from D to -/+ while moving or should I come to a complete stop first? I do live in the mountains (Asheville NC) and 7% grade hills are a thing in my life.

2. I have a rotary dial for 2wd 4wd and 4wd Lo. Is the 2wd option also 4wd auto? Can I change between these modes while in motion or should I be at a complete stop first?

3. As I said I live in the mountains, what are your driving tips for going up and down mountains (paved roads) including up to 7% grades?

4. What other advice might you have for a first time RAM owner?

Thanks!

1. You can shift into +/- while moving.
2. 2wd is not the same as 4 auto and yes you can shift into 4 hi while moving but I would do at very low speeds, stop if you can just to be safe but not necessary.
3. Going down those mnts I would use the +/- and select the gear that keeps you moving at a constant rate without needing to apply brakes heavily, keeps them cooler. Maintain speed limits lol.
4.. spend lots of time on this forum so much more great advice here. Welcome and I'm sure you'll love your truck.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

ajkg1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
821ec63dc429802ccb7475e2082fd5e0.jpg

1272649eb49f543a8a76a1acac33e49b.jpg

Just cleaned the truck and snapped a few quick pictures in the work parking lot. I will take some more photos this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

ajkg1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. You can shift into +/- while moving.
2. 2wd is not the same as 4 auto and yes you can shift into 4 hi while moving but I would do at very low speeds, stop if you can just to be safe but not necessary.
3. Going down those mnts I would use the +/- and select the gear that keeps you moving at a constant rate without needing to apply brakes heavily, keeps them cooler. Maintain speed limits lol.
4.. spend lots of time on this forum so much more great advice here. Welcome and I'm sure you'll love your truck.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

^^ Thanks for the advice and answers! I plan on spending lots of time on this forum!! I am excited to learn and work on this truck. I have worked in IT (including lots of hardware work) and really appreciate mechanics of things! Time to learn more!!