Beating the dead horse...question about bil 5100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ignitionorange

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ignition orange edition sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Iv used search and read countless posts but I can't seam to fully understand, my question is this. With the bills how do I get my truck to sit 100% level or dang close with max lift?
Do you set it at 2.1 for level?
Or is 2.8 level?
Are people adding the 1 inch rear spacers to keep factory rake? I want a leveling kit to do just that get some lift but ultimately to sit level
Ordering some 20x10 with -24 offset and gonna run some 33s is all

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed 5100's on all 4 corners. With the front set at 2.8" my truck came out exactly level, at 39.5 inches from the fender lip to the ground. The front has since settled a little and now sits about 1/2 inch lower, or 39 inches.

I have Airlift 1000 bags in the rear coils. The measurements were taken with 5 psi in them.

OP
OP
I

ignitionorange

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ignition orange edition sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for that I'm fine with like half inch I don't know much about air bags though are you getting any height out of them?

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Airlift 1000 bags help reduce sag under a load (in the bed or on the hitch). If I air them up to max (35 psi) with no load they will raise the rear about 1.5 inch. I didn't do any before and after measurements re: installing the bags. I don't think the rear is raised with only 5psi in them.

Embrod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bilsteins set at 2.8 up front, back left stock will get you very close to level +/-.5".

Most guys run a spacer in the back to gain back a small amount of rake so that the truck doesn't look nose high. .5 to 1 inch isn't very noticeable.

Bertulis43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I set my bils at 2.1 I won't be sitting level with the rear? I don't want to run spacers but I want to sit level with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
I'm not reading all of these but here's the facts if you have a 4x4 1500

bils set at 2.8 will require a 1" rear spacer
bils set at 2.1 will require no spacer

Numnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Iv used search and read countless posts but I can't seam to fully understand, my question is this. With the bills how do I get my truck to sit 100% level or dang close with max lift?
Do you set it at 2.1 for level?
Or is 2.8 level?
Are people adding the 1 inch rear spacers to keep factory rake? I want a leveling kit to do just that get some lift but ultimately to sit level
Ordering some 20x10 with -24 offset and gonna run some 33s is all

I have Bilsteins set at 2.1 with Nitto 285x65x20 on stock wheels. At all four corners ground to inner fender is 39½"
I have had the Bilsteins on for about 6 months (8000 mi.) and there is no settle as of yet.

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's interesting to see that some trucks sit front high with the 5100s at 2.8". I am curious if this has to to with the truck cab configuration. My truck is a crew cab so it's the heaviest. As posted above, mine sits level with the front at 2.8" lift.

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
It's interesting to see that some trucks sit front high with the 5100s at 2.8". I am curious if this has to to with the truck cab configuration. My truck is a crew cab so it's the heaviest. As posted above, mine sits level with the front at 2.8" lift.

the factory rake varies depending on cab, bed lenghth, options, and some just sit much higher than others from factory. not many are same

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Acurate way is to park on level ground such as a garage floor and measure the height from the floor to the wheel wells, the difference front to back is what you need to be level, some trucks it will be 2.1 and some 2.8, some even more or even less,

lfr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
where you guys usually order the bils from, they run the same $ at any site?

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well I was hopeful to have mine installed by a new to me shop. When I first traveled up there and had them look, they quoted me $200 for the front install and it would take a couple of hours. So I made the appointment for after I arrived back from my cruise. Now they are telling me when I emailed to confirm that it will be several hours to install them. I can't imagine that they would quote me $200 for several hours worth of work. So now I feel they didn't want to do the job and have pushed me off. :(

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I was hopeful to have mine installed by a new to me shop. When I first traveled up there and had them look, they quoted me $200 for the front install and it would take a couple of hours. So I made the appointment for after I arrived back from my cruise. Now they are telling me when I emailed to confirm that it will be several hours to install them. I can't imagine that they would quote me $200 for several hours worth of work. So now I feel they didn't want to do the job and have pushed me off. :(

A competent mechanic with the proper tools should be able to replace both front shocks in under 2 hours. Though most, if not all, shops will likely quote flat rate ("flag") hours. Alldata lists the flat rate at 1.3 hours each. So if they are wanting more than 2.6 hours for the pair, they should offer and explanation as to why.

lfr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jet.com has them for $86.95 each.

https://jet.com/product/Bilstein-24...-5100-Series/24da0bb28d1446d38f379d6d3b71d8ef

If you have not used Jet.com before, you can use a 15today promo code and get an additional 15% off. You might also get free shipping.

The 5100's I purchased through them shipped from etrailerhitch.com, I received them in 2 days.

Thanks, what about the UCA? I keep reading about the ball joint problem when setting the bils at 2.8 but I have no idea which ones are good or where to order them from. Sorry thi might sounds stupid but im new to this. thanks in advance!

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, what about the UCA? I keep reading about the ball joint problem when setting the bils at 2.8 but I have no idea which ones are good or where to order them from. Sorry thi might sounds stupid but im new to this. thanks in advance!

I kept the OE UCAs on my truck for now. I didn't see a need to replace them until something begins to fail. There are a few options. When the time comes, I will likely go for the ones offered by Zone.

Suspension Parts-Control Arms-Dodge/Ram | Zone Offroad Products

Tuff Country has a set with uni-ball joints that look real nice. My concern with these is the polyurethane bushings might give a harsh ride.

Upper Control Arms | Tuff Country EZ-Ride